The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Guinea Pigs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
jue332 said:
We used to have 4 guinea pigs and they were lovely, full of character. I still miss their liitle squeek when I'm chopping veg.
You have got some great advice on here Trish not much more that I can add, only its a good idea to have something hard in the cage, like a stone or some wood that it can gnaw on to keep the teeth down.

If you pm me your address I'll send you a guinea pig book  :thumbsup:

WOW thanks julie ive pmed you :thumbsup:

thanks everyone for all the advise think this guinea is going to have the best treatment,by the way he as just come home,hes blue and beautiful and my daughters calling him toby :huggles:

trish g said:
thanks everyone for all the advise think this guinea is going to have the best treatment,by the way he as just come home,hes blue and beautiful and my daughters calling him toby :huggles:

awwww need pics trish

trish g said:
jue332 said:
We used to have 4 guinea pigs and they were lovely, full of character. I still miss their liitle squeek when I'm chopping veg.
You have got some great advice on here Trish not much more that I can add, only its a good idea to have something hard in the cage, like a stone or some wood that it can gnaw on to keep the teeth down.

Posted it this morning Trish :thumbsup:

jue332 said:
trish g said:
jue332 said:

Posted it this morning Trish :thumbsup:

aww thanks julie :huggles: :thumbsup:

just taken some pics will post them very soon :thumbsup:

summer b said:
we've had and bred guineas for years they're lovely :wub: ! We put shavings on top of newspaper in their cage with hay on newspaper in the bedding bit (they eat the hay). Straw isn't such a good idea as it is sharp so can cause eye injuries. Ours love dandelion leaves, grass and most fruit & veg. As said above a sticks a good idea particularly one from a fruit tree as its definately ok for them to eat! Good luck with your guinea pig :luck:   :)

Hay is excellent though as part of their digestion..... a hay rack is a good idea just for the edibles :) and as Julie said mine had a mineral stone too.....

Yes Trish where are the pictures... :) :)

heres some pics of our new little furry :wub: :huggles:

he isnt blue as first told :wacko: hes a mink colour and his name is now toby :thumbsup:

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1605-2.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1610-1.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

Awww how gorgeous... :wub: :wub: Could be wrong but think he is classed as a Sable or possibly Red.

:wub: o:)

Janimal said:
Awww how gorgeous... :wub:   :wub:   Could be wrong but think he is classed as a Sable or possibly Red.
:wub:   o:)

ah right,its a colour ive not come across before.

hes around a year old now been bought last christmas at 6 weeks old

He certainly looks a little character.. :huggles:

here is an info page Trish....think he will come under the Self section at the top..

he could even be a lilac... :) Mine have been mainly tortoiseshells and tri-coloured.

http://www.comfycavies.com/Info/Breeds/breeds.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooohh...he's lovely. He's smooth coated and all one colour (I think), so he's probably what is known as a 'Self' guinea pig, which come in various colours. One of mine is a Self, a buff apparently.

Do a Google search....there are quite a few different types and breeds...it's quite fascinating really. Here's a link to start off with

http://www.nationalcavyclub.co.uk/

Edited to say that i didn't see Janis's post when i replied...sorry about the duplication of information.... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicola said:
Ooohh...he's lovely. He's smooth coated and all one colour (I think), so he's probably what is known as a 'Self' guinea pig, which come in various colours. One of mine is a Self, a buff apparently.
Do a Google search....there are quite a few different types and breeds...it's quite fascinating really. Here's a link to start off with

http://www.nationalcavyclub.co.uk/

Edited to say that i didn't see Janis's post when i replied...sorry about the duplication of information.... :p

thanks nicola will have a look :thumbsup:

Awww he's lovely :wub: :wub:

Love his colour too :thumbsup:

Bet the dogs had a good sniff around after Toby had been running on the floor :- " :lol:

He is lovely he need some company tho what do you think

Toby is really gorgeous. :wub: :wub:

I only have two piggies now, but used to have more. They are lovely pets. Loads of good advice on here already. Mine are bedded on paper and then hay (no shavings). They really do like company though. :- " :huggles: My two are girls and live together very happily. :thumbsup:

I agree...cavies are sociable animals and prefer other cavies for company, but you might have trouble introducing a boar to another boar. :sweating: Sows are easier to keep together.

Nicola said:
I agree...cavies are sociable animals and prefer other cavies for company, but you might have trouble introducing a boar to another boar. :sweating:   Sows are easier to keep together.

think he will have to do with us for company then :huggles:

gorg trish :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Janimal said:
He certainly looks a little character.. :huggles:  
here is an info page Trish....think he will come under the Self section at the top..

he could even be a lilac... :)   Mine have been mainly tortoiseshells and tri-coloured.

http://www.comfycavies.com/Info/Breeds/breeds.htm

just been looking at the rabbit royale food you advised and i will definatley get some,looks so much better than the ordinary guinea food,so thanks for that :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back