The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Handicap Format

Scotty

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
rest my case with the handiecap system of yd per lb, both the main final and consulation won by dogs that weighed 23 ld and under, no disrespect to these winners they were the best lightweights, on the day, but the photo's show that even over 165 yards. It is a procession with the heavy dogs way down the field, and it will be the same next year unless someone looks to make changes that is for the good of all racers. I love seeing dogs run, but I do not enjoy seeing the handicap destroy the chance of a close reace between all the weight class winners who all deserve a chance to pick up the big one. I know it is easy to say IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN DONE THIS WAY, but changes are needed in order to ensure the long term future of whippet racing, strong but it is my opinion.

Well done to all the winners, and organisers, helpers, and Newton Ayclffe council for once again allowing us whippet racers to use there fantastic facilities.

Scotty.

well said peter i totally agree :thumbsup:

i also agree , but they will never let heavyweights have a chance at the big money,it just wouldnt suit others.imo.big dogs dont get enough recognition in my eyes.but at the end of the day they are just as good as any other. :- "

Well at least I am not along in my views on yd per lb racing, thanks for agreeing John & joe. if you looked at how many dogs enter each event, I would think the ratio would be around 25% of dogs would weigh under 22Lb 50% between 22 & 30

with 25% in the scratch yet the 25% of lightweights get the advantage given to them. Does not make sence to me.

the anoso open yesterday was 2ft/lb and the winner was just friends 19lb so a good lightweight dog/bitch will nearally allways win @ 2ft/lb racing all it will do is give the heavyweight dog/bitch a chance to finish higher up the ladder rather than last position ,also it will make racing safer as there would be only i.e. 5yds between 1st and last place instead of 8/9yds as it is now :- " :))

just my opinion :))

Totaly agree John. in the derby consulation at 2ft lb Little Rascal won weighing 17Lb, so how anyone can realy belive that yd lb is fair is walking around with blinkers on.

Scotty said:
Totaly agree John. in the derby consulation at 2ft lb Little Rascal won weighing 17Lb, so how anyone can realy belive that yd lb is fair is walking around with blinkers on.
the consolation that little rascal won was 1 yard per pound :teehee: and it beat a 20 pound dog by 1-2 yards. :- "

The truth of the matter is the quality of the middleweights & heavyweights isnt as good as it was years ago, the majority of lightweights could not live with the likes of NO COMMENT, HAISY MAISY, SOVEREIGN ROSE, BLUE HAZE ,DEVILS ANGEL etc.

I remember going to Meden Valley and MO EVIL won the full open giving 18yds away in the supreme final.

[should be encouraging people to breed smaller not bigger] The size of whippets

now is just getting out of hand.

johnnoble said:
The truth of the matter is the quality of the middleweights &  heavyweights isnt as good as it was years ago, the majority of lightweights could not live with the likes of NO COMMENT, HAISY MAISY, SOVEREIGN ROSE,  BLUE HAZE ,DEVILS ANGEL etc.  I remember going to Meden Valley and MO EVIL won the full open giving 18yds away in the supreme final.

[should be encouraging people to breed smaller not bigger]  The size of whippets

sorry john got to disagree if the quality of heavy/middleweights are'nt good enough at present then in my opinion the lightweights when mo evil was racing wer'nt good enough then,i understand and agree about your point of view about the size of some of the dogs but this debate is about yd/lb/2ft/lb racing like i said before the good lightweight will still win. just my opinion

some people dont realize how hard it is for a good 16 or 17 pound dog to win opens at any yardage :- " so is yard a pound unfair on the bends :eek: i think john noble is right not as many good heavy or middleweights around now free wheeler what spot fluke more games just a few to mention all open winners at yard per pound just my opinion the people who moan about yardage sorry pete :D are usually the ones with heavy weights :)

There is no heavyweight or lightweight in the country could beat PEGGY SUE at half yd per lb when she is right. The lightweights cant even beat her yds per lb.

[youl want them all off level next]

theres an old saying , [if you cant beat them, join them.]

its you choice to have big dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing I did not raise this subject because i have a 30 ld dog, i could have had a 18lb dog that never won a race. My point is when was the last time at an open apart from when no money is paid if you WD, did you see all weight class winners run off. I want to see all racers have a fair chance. However this is not so easy to do. I have spent hours trying to work out a handicap system that would result in all dogs comming over the line closer than at present, but still cant get one that works. I agree with John that we are tending to breed bigger dogs mostly down to the gene pool being so small so we use greyhound, maybe we should try using the best peddie racers to do the same but keep the size down. I know some will not make the grade on speed, but that already happens, so we have nothing to lose. Thats me on this subject I dont care how we do it I just think we need to do something. Finally no matter what we do you will always end up with the best comming to the top as they should. good luck to all racers with big or small dogs.

YARD,LB FOR BENDS,..AND 2 FOOT LB FOR STRAITS......BEST HANDICAP.. :))

Why not run a sup light weigh final and sup heavy weight final ie say up to 25lb and up to 35 lb then the heaviest dog in each final will only be given 10 yards away

this method could be used at championships as well, THOUS GIVEN 2 SUPS ON THE DAY...LIGHT AND HEAVY

just my opinion Dee

johnnoble said:
The truth of the matter is the quality of the middleweights &  heavyweights isnt as good as it was years ago, the majority of lightweights could not live with the likes of NO COMMENT, HAISY MAISY, SOVEREIGN ROSE,  BLUE HAZE ,DEVILS ANGEL etc.  I remember going to Meden Valley and MO EVIL won the full open giving 18yds away in the supreme final.

[should be encouraging people to breed smaller not bigger]  The size of whippets

couldent agree more the dogs are not good enouth people seem to forget the good dogs and hew won the dog champs of champs last year a 26 pounder at yard a pound same as when north2south was running that dog pick up great little dogs and beat them yard a pound :cheers:

johnnoble said:
There is no heavyweight or lightweight in the country could beat PEGGY SUE  at half yd per lb when she is right.  The lightweights cant even beat her yds per lb.  [youl  want them all off level next] 

theres an old saying , [if you cant beat them, join them.]

its you choice to have big dogs.

Thats one hell of a statement John. :eek:

I agree with Jasper-and I have lightweights and heavyweights....

yes-seen her on quite a few occasions-

not disputing 'your opinion'-just stating a fact-

It is quite a statement-is it not?

nothing is 'certain' in life....no matter how good/bad something is

thats my opinion

Peggy is one of those bitches that only come around every so often , she is without doubt the best Ive seen since swift holly :) just my opinion :thumbsup:

In my opinion My own bitch biddy was one of the best bitches i have ever seen, three Ch chs, Sup Rch, and two Derbys along with many classic and open wins.

Only my opinion.......

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back