The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Handicap Format

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
ive raced wonderwall with 70lb greyhounds and won,so why can a 16lb er beat a 20lb er :wacko:

handicap as always been the best raceing sherry,like i said everyone wants a world beater,

original scratch racing sherry anything over 32 pound :- " a good 35 pounder could win a no limit but a 16 of level with a good 20 pounder is silly :oops: most scratch dogs due to there size and stride should be able to compete with any size scratch racer not like short arssed 16 pounders no matter how good they are :D

mutley said:
original scratch racing sherry anything over 32 pound :- "  a good 35 pounder could win a no limit  but a 16  of level with a good 20 pounder is silly  :oops: most scratch dogs due to there size and stride should be able to compete with any size scratch racer not like short arssed 16 pounders no matter how good they are :D

cant agree more cudnt c wombelle beating what now of levels or cudnt c master twist beating just friends off levels, sorry for using examples cudnt think of any other 16lbers to use

:) i think a good idea would be to run the classes in height for example like they do at lurcher racing they also run this way abroad. i have no problem with yard a pound or anything else it swings an round abouts u just have to have a good dog . as for supreme run offs yard a pound diffrence in height as they go up. eg 18 - 20 inch off front [ yard behind 20- 22 inch and so on make things alot fairer . its the same as if i was racing linford christie over hundred meters would i get a start because am lighter lol just a thought happy racing :teehee:

sherry said:
so che ching u agree with me the fairest racing wud actually be a time handicap?

:- " I raced one of mine in a time event once :b and she was giving start to the best dogs on the day so NO we haven't raced in a time handicap since,

Racing whippets at yard a pound has sufficed for over 40 years and long may it carry on, :D there are plenty of races at 2ft a pound for people who prefer to race at this distance and yes I prefer yard a pound racing as has been said in another topic long forgotten I think lol

There are plenty of differing handicaps about at the moment, either in weight or in length of the race and the measure by per pound, if the handicap doesn't suit your dog then why run him or her, no one is forced to run their whippet. :cheers: :luck:

well keep going with the yard ld lets see how many tracks survive.look how many have close over the years.i think in the next 10years it will be all finish anyway thats my opinion.1 track up this way as closed for the season cos only 2 dogs turned up and its really just the start of the straight season

I think what we should be looking at is WHY are people finishing whippet racing, I do not think it is becuase of the handicap, jut look at Manton Club they cater for everyone and put on different formats and lengths so all can enjoy the racing and as JohnM has said if you dont like the format don't race at it.

16 dogs at manton last time i heard how many as it had in the past,there is no fun in whippet racing now everyone as there own little clicks were once over everyone got on with everyone and had fun,not back biteing,i was out the sport 8 years and thought i would come back and never thought it was as bad as it is now it was bad 8 years ago but now its all gone mad.bottom line is know one trust anyone now. :- "

Not sure but think Pat was just using Manton as an example of the different formats that we use throughout the year for trophies etc. (See fixtures list) different distances from 100yds 1/2 yd/lb through to 220yds 1 1/2 yd/lb in groups - but this is at club level and if you dared to put on these formats for opens would you get anymore interest i would think perhaps not as is with all formats suits some dogs better than others lol

(16 dogs not bad at moment for club racing :p is it ???)

Main thing is keep racing win or lose and enjoy :D

Last edited by a moderator:
we have about 15 @ the rising sun now as well and its basically 150 yds every week there. obviosly when the opens r on we have less dogs but even if i only had 4 dogs id still keep the club going. cant c how suddenly within 10 years there will be no whippet racing lol

Remember that whippet racing was mainly a miners sport or at least it seemed to be many many years ago, no pits = no miners=less whippets!!!

The older racers need to make sure that thier sons/daughters etc are interested and carry on when they retire or pass on.

One of the main problems I personally think is the lack of information available to newcomers. As a newbie myself I literally chanced upon the Ginpit through this site. I have started to make up a website basically aimed at newcomers to the sport, and I was going to put a request upon here of contact phone numbers, e-mail addresses etc of organisers of racing clubs. Unless you race, your unlikely to know about whippet news. My aim was that newbies could look on the site for their nearest club, provide them with contacts along with details of events held across the country so those that were interested could go along and have a look. I was also hoping to add information of useful sites like K9, the BWRA, whippet racing items suppliers etc

There's bickering and backstabbing in any game but I have to say so far I have received a warm welcome from everyone, of which I'm grateful. Let's all stop criticising and looking for faults within the sport and focus more on what we can do to improve it and increase it's popularity.

Anyone with internet access and a bit of brain can easily find information on racing clubs, type in whippet racing and k9 is one of the top sites, full of people with LOTS of racing knowledge and experience, info on events, clubs and organisations - it really isn't as hard as people make out, however i agree it's hard for people to find out who don't have internet access.

I don't think it's a case of grabbing in new members (although yeh that would be nice) but hanging on to the members that are currently racing, too many people have dropped off over the last ten years, the biggest downfall being the drug testing IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with everything Jac has said there as im a newbie myself. If it wasnt for K9 i wouldnt've even dreamt about racing. I have witnessed very little bickering and found almost everyone really friendly and extremely helpful. If the racing community think the backstabbing is bad then they have never tried showing!!!

With channel 854 being interested in whippet racing and mentioning the BWRA shouldnt we keep them informed of everything that goes on and use that medium to increase popularity. Greyhound racing and Whippet racing go hand in hand and i am surprised at how many Grey people do race whippets as well. Lets have some races at the big tracks. Im sure that racing managers would be happy to promote their stadiums through Whippet racing. Tuesday night is a quiet night at Brough Park and not much money is taken at the gate, imagine how much more revenue they would get from the North East bunch?

the champs are getting less and less every year opens are getting less and less,and as far as sons/daughters ect .... getting in to it think the saying is its BORING,And i take on board years ago it was miners,railwaymen ect... having whippets for a pass time as i come from 1 of the the oldest railway towns in the country and seen the decline of the whippets,and also there is everything else that comes into it travel,fuel prices ect.... but as i say if they bring back some of the old ways like running all dogs in a time handicap ect... like they used to.makes me laugh when people say im not running my 20ld in with a 36ld or above and also say i think more of my dog/bitch to put them in with the bigger dogs because it never stopped them a few years ago so wots that all about they did not care about there dogs then ??????

Not all sons/daughters find the sport boring :D :D If you look around the tracks there are quite a few youngsters involved with running dogs!!!

I'm here to take over from my old (hope she doesnt take offence hahaha) mum!!! :- " :eek:

Kim :lol:

come on in the last ten years the sport must of halved so who says in the next ten years it will not be finished

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back