The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Handicap Format

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Peggie sue, is a very good bitch and i have seen her put in some great run's,well done sue and family on winning the derby, :thumbsup: i have also seen her beat by very good bitch's, its all on the day :luck:

unless you own Sup Rch, 3 time's Ch of Ch's Biddy she's the best bitch i have seen race and the most constant winner,

tanglewood said:
In my opinion My own bitch biddy was one of the best bitches i have ever seen, three Ch chs, Sup Rch, and two Derbys along with many classic and open wins.
Only my opinion.......

Cant argue with that :thumbsup:

She is a fantastic little bitch.

"I agree with John that we are tending to breed bigger dogs mostly down to the gene pool being so small so we use greyhound, maybe we should try using the best peddie racers to do the same but keep the size down. I know some will not make the grade on speed, but that already happens, so we have nothing to lose. "

We were briefly talking about this at the weekend. I have a 23lb peddie that is a good little runner, she likes nothing more to have a run with the non peds and yes she is a lot slower. What would happen should i mate her to a very good non ped? Makes the gene pool bigger and like what is said, who's to say ANY litter would be a good fast litter? But if the best pup out of that litter was mated to another good dog possibly a sprinting greyhound then that widens the gene pool even more and give room for a lot of improvement. Good or Bad?

IMO whippet racing is just that :)) and what do we term a whippet these days :- "

Well Said Mutley and John Noble :D I think fairness equals itself out on the bends don't you :- " not many 17 lbers winn sup on there hey what :blink: :- " :- " :oops:

as for the best bitch's who have won most things don't lets get into that plzzzz as I think quite a few of us have had one of those that is just IMO that is :b

Last edited by a moderator:
Where they all really small in the past though?

The reason I ask was because beejay sent me an old pathe link of whippet racing and some dogs wouldn't look out of place today at a race track? I'll ask her to pop on the link.

Scotty said:
rest my case with the handiecap system of yd per lb, both the main final and consulation won by dogs that weighed 23 ld and under, no disrespect to these winners they were the best lightweights, on the day, but the photo's show that even over 165 yards. It is a procession with the heavy dogs way down the field, and it will be the same next year unless someone looks to make changes that is for the good of all racers. I love seeing dogs run, but I do not enjoy seeing the handicap destroy the chance of a close reace between all the weight class winners who all deserve a chance to pick up the big one. I know it is easy to say IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN DONE THIS WAY, but changes are needed in order to ensure the long term future of whippet racing, strong but it is my opinion.
Well done to all the winners, and organisers, helpers, and Newton Ayclffe council for once again allowing us whippet racers to use there fantastic facilities.

Scotty.

Well said :)

The yard per pound handicap on the shorter straight races makes the supreme run offs a race between the better lightweights as the heavy weights are handicapped out of the race. Hence the heavyweights withdraw being "content" with their weight class win.

It's worth pointing out that the reason for the handicap is to give the slower lightweights a chance to compete with the faster heavyweights. If all races were run off scratch the lightweights wouldn't win a race. To say lightweights are better because they win more overall/supremes is spurious. It's more reasonable to compare the relative merits of individual LWT and HWT whippets by looking at how they compare with dogs of their own weight; I'd say a 32lb whippet thats unbeaten and 3 yrds faster than any other whippet in the country is a better dog than a lightweight that has been beaten on numerous occasions no matter how many supremes such a LWT dog may have. However such a HWT would never win overall at yrd/lb.

Greyhound racing first started in earnest 1926 when Belle Vue opened alowing longer races to be run. Prior to this date greyhounds coursed and whippets raced. There is overwhelming evidence to suggest that the top class dogs were similar to scratch dogs of today. The videos posted elsewhere by BeeJay show dogs that wouldn't look out of place at a scratch race today. Handicaps were used to allow slower dogs to have a chance of winning races with faster dogs, being, as we all know, handicapped on time or weight. Seems the pendulum has swung to far the other way to me

This is a interesting debate lol.

Trouble is if you make all racing 2 ft pound then no 16lb animals will ever win supreme and at yard per pound no heavy weight animals win supreme.

Spliting the handicap is probabily the only fair way.

Yd/pound racing upto 25lb dogs and bitches separate

and 2ft pound racing upto 32lb dogs and bitches separate.

Then maybe a supreme run off at 2 foot pound. Any size could win at this i think.

The above makes sence because the percentage increase in body weight between a 31lb dog and a 32lb dog is less than between a 16lb dog and a 17 pound dog.

As for the argument that the past large dogs would win at yd per pound i don't think they would. Xstacy wouldn't had won at yard per pound yet it would beat most of the past greats i bet.

The reason past greats won at yard per pound i think is because food wasn't as good so the larger dogs would have been better off as they eat more food and would have got more vits etc. Now high nutrition foods allow small dogs to get better nutrition and modern osteopaths basically make them like highly tuned racing machines this allows them to have more stamina and hold off the bigger dogs.

Just my opinion but it makes sense.

Anthony :cheers:

the reason why i think 2ft/lb should be used is not because i want the heavyweight to win it's to make racing safer,if i win my weight class with paloma i withdraw from the final because i know she could cause serious damage to the lightweight that is allready on the lure when she is going in for it ,and then i wonder what the owner would say,it was the same when i used to run tycool 16lb i used to dread it when the 32lber raced,(but luckily she was'nt a lure dog and allways ran past) :- "

it would be a good idea to have 2 supremes light & heavy weight :))

p.s this is not because i have a heavyweight paloma is nearlly 5year old and past her best, but i do have a 22/23 lber ( lightweight ) :- " :))

With the above handicap i put on

The best heavy weights could win supreme i.e you Xtasy's, North to South, Ballyspot, Chris's Gift

Also the best lightweights could i,e Trouble spot, Biddy, Drama Queen, Blue Goblin, Just friends.

So could the best middleweights i.e Oscars Pride, Colorado, Peggy Sue, Home Alone.

Anthony

This is a interesting debate lol.

Trouble is if you make all racing 2 ft pound then no 16lb animals will ever win supreme and at yard per pound no heavy weight animals win supreme.

Spliting the handicap is probabily the only fair way.

Yd/pound racing upto 25lb dogs and bitches separate

and 2ft pound racing upto 32lb dogs and bitches separate.

Then maybe a supreme run off at 2 foot pound. Any size could win at this i think.

good idea anth :thumbsup:

just wondering here but why is there rarely weight class scratch races? ie up to 20lb all off sc up to 25lb all off scratch etc etc? :blink:

I don't think that would work because a 20lber or maybe 19lb would win every time and a 16 would NEVER win.

Anthony

ahorsnall said:
I don't think that would work because a 20lber or maybe 19lb would win every time and a 16 would NEVER win. Anthony

why is that? in a scratch race u can get a dog of say 40lb will beat a dog of 50lb yes it has been done look @ bully beef against say hellbent? i dont c how a 16ber wud never win just my opionion though. it wud never be racing against a dog bigger than 20lb.

yeah but a 40lber has about the same stride as a 50lber and it takes a 50lber that bit longer to get going. whereas a 20lber will have more power to get going but will also have a quick finish leaving the 16lber with no chance.

Anthony :thumbsup:

just my opinion but i dont c how as theres only 4lb diff which isnt that much imo

really when u think about it the handicap is the fairest racing there is as u go off the times a dog can do not their weight. and eventually everyone will or shud win a handicap. so really a time trial open wud prob be the fairest way but there doesnt seem 2 be any or very few of them. :blink:

i agree run a 20lb off scratch with a 16lb. the 20lb would win everytime

u have to have a world beater now sherry thats wot everyone wants,but u cannot beat a good time handicap,this is why there is not a lot of tracks left :- "

so che ching u agree with me the fairest racing wud actually be a time handicap?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back