The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Handicap Format

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
come on in the last ten years the sport must of halved so who says in the next ten years it will not be finished

whats to say the number of people might double in the next ten years, you cant make assumptions that its gonna finish!!!

Kim :)

Quote don't think it's a case of grabbing in new members (although yeh that would be nice) but hanging on to the members that are currently racing, too many people have dropped off over the last ten years,

THE NEED FOR THERE TO BE DRUG TESTING--when there is nothing to win thats worth cheating for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote ---the biggest downfall being the drug testing IMO.

I would think that these words need putting infront of this statement Vicky.

i think if there was more inter- regional events so people would be encouraged to support each other from thier own regions would be a starting point and shout for each others dogs might even suggest a try whilst in scotland mid week maybe

steve

unwanted said:
the champs are getting less and less every year opens are getting less and less,and as far as sons/daughters ect .... getting in to it think the saying is its BORING,And i take on board years ago it was miners,railwaymen ect... having whippets for a pass time as i come from 1 of the the oldest railway towns in the country and seen the decline of the whippets,and also there is everything else that comes into it travel,fuel prices ect.... but as i say if they bring back some of the old ways like running all dogs in a time handicap ect... like they used to.makes me laugh when people say im not running my 20ld in with a 36ld or above and also say i think more of my dog/bitch to put them in with the bigger dogs because it never stopped them a few years ago so wots that all about they did not care about there dogs then ??????
personally i dont think every year the champs r less and less it seems 2 be roughly the same to me now as it was when we started approx 10 years ago u might have had maybe 30 more dogs @ the champs etc but there wasnt 1000,s 10 years ago. IMO people have left but people have joined so its prob the same amount of people racing. as 4 not racing little dogs in the handicap well i can kinda understand it if u have say a 20lb really bad rag dog u may not want 2 race it against a 40ber for fear of it being hurt over the finish line. yes i race my 22lber @ the h/cap the other week 1st she was in with a 20ber then a 40lber then another 40lber and she won so i dont think its coz they think they wont win its more to do with the dogs safety. im quite lucky as my 22lber isnt mad keen 4 the lure so im able to pick her up quite quickly b4 they all dive on it.

i have no idea why people r going out of it but there is new people to take their places well there is in wallsend lol in the last few months we have had about half a dozen people coming into it and gettng themselves pups. so Imo there will deffo still be whippet racing in 10 years time. i mean wot wud i do if there wasnt any? :teehee: lol :teehee:

i think if there was more inter- regional events so people would be encouraged to support each other from thier own regions would be a starting point and shout for each others dogs might even suggest a try whilst in scotland mid week maybe

steve

we always do in wallsend @ least i always do :D

what about an open day at ur clubs,i.e put on lurcher racing and terrier racing,,and offcourse whippet racing,,,

u never know it might attract other dog owners to take up whippet racing,,,but they didnt know how to go about it,,,,this way they can veiw whippet racing for them selfs,, with out feeling there are imposing,on pll,s

just a thought

No matter what the handicap format there would still be people moaning, trying to get it changed if they were not winning. Like i said before[ if you cant beat them join them] I used to have biggish dogs , i wasnt happy with that so my last 8 dogs have all been 22 or under.

There should be more maiden opens for the people who are not satisfied with the format as it is.

either get a lightweight under 22lb or go into scratch racing :- "

tell that to Colorado caz 26 pound sup champ over 150 last year (w00t) mmmmmmmmm seems to me the ones wanting to change the handicap system are those with bigger dogs :- " if you want to win sup breed smaller unless you get a heavy flying machine hi George u still talking shite i see m8 :D

no ofence to the randy rat just avin a laff :D :D

Newbie question, if you do have a young heavyweight dog and it's always off the back, is there a risk they can get frustrated after repeatedly coming from the back?

Is there a solution to preventing this e.g. increasing their weight slightly to put them into another weight class on occasion so they don't loose heart or do you all do time handicaps at your racing clubs?

time racing at clubs wich is good for schooling then opens when or if good enough :thumbsup:

woooooooooooooooo touchy touchy didnt know u had a mind ratty :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back