The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Has Anyone Ever Regretted Moving House?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
weve only moved once in 25years and that one move was kind of forced onto us,we lived very close to leeds university which was fine for many years,then they started to bring more and more students in which meant many houses in the surrounding areas where let to students in which life changed for everyone,so residents where selling up and leaving ,and then even more students moved in,so 7 years we had no choice but to up sticks and leave our lovely little house which we didnt want to do but we aso couldnt live with the noise every night.so this house is bigger but our garden is small and elevated,so i too would love a bigger garden,but where ok for awhile yet,going to wait until the hubby retires then might try looking for something in the country. :thumbsup:

good luck in what you decide nicola :luck: :luck: :luck:

still in our first house we brought when we got married 16 years ago, not the best of neighbours round here, very chav next door :- " a few are ok though, both Adam & moved around a lot when we were little, his dad was in the RAF & my mum just loved moving house every 3 years (w00t) so i think thats why we have never moved. :luck: :luck: to you in what ever you decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh NicolJanimal said:
a... :lol:   men who'd have them.. :lol:   :blink: give us dogs any day.... :lol:   :blink:   :- "
:- " too right!

moriarte said:
[It probably does take about 7 years for most things to mature and start to look like your original vision, so don't leave it too long. Does OH like his food? Maybe the best route to a change of heart is by promising lots of nice fruit and veg for his stomach  :lol:

He does like his food...but he's not a great veg and fruit person...prefers his bangers and mash. Good try...maybe I should persuade him we need to keep a pig :p

HopeRosie said:
The best think is, the garden I had before you had to cross a pathway (used by everyone else) to get to your garden.  You couldnt just leave the back door open for our dogs to go in and out on their own, they had to be supervised, the garden was completely gravel and 6ft wide at its widest point.  My new garden is not massive, but I can leave my dining room door open and Evie can go and sun herself on the patio whenever she wants.
Do I regret moving away from my family, to somewhere that I didnt know, but to a larger house with a lovely garden, and a wonderful boyfriend - NOPE.  Just watching Evie zoom around the garden and flopping out on the patio and the children having space to have a proper play - is just wonderful.

We also have a shared pathway at the back and front of the house. Brave you for moving so far...I'm glad your move was the right one :thumbsup:

trish g said:
weve only moved once in 25years and that one move was kind of forced onto us,we lived very close to leeds university which was fine for many years,then they started to bring more and more students in which meant many houses in the surrounding areas where let to students in which life changed for everyone,so residents where selling up and leaving ,and then even more students moved in,so 7 years we had no choice but to up sticks and leave our lovely little house which we didnt want to do but we aso couldnt live with the noise every night.so this house is bigger but our garden is small and elevated,so i too would love a bigger garden,but where ok for awhile yet,going to wait until the hubby retires then might try looking for something in the country. :thumbsup: good luck in what you decide nicola :luck:   :luck:   :luck:

My mum has the same problem Trish. She lives in what was a nice area near the centre of Coventry. All the houses are being sold to let now, and the students are moving in. They don't look after the places, and it's all starting to look run down. I'm trying to persuade my mum to move too! :p

Oh yes...and we have the elevated garden too...back and front!

I had our house valued today...I got a pleasant surprise. :) We're on one of the most desirable roads apparently :b , which makes it a tougher decision though.

My mum has the same problem Trish. She lives in what was a nice area near the centre of Coventry. All the houses are being sold to let now, and the students are moving in. They don't look after the places, and it's all starting to look run down. I'm trying to persuade my mum to move too! :p

I had our house valued today...I got a pleasant surprise. :) We're on one of the most desirable roads apparently :b , which makes it a tougher decision though.

im sure it is a tough decision,but i wouldnt do anything unless i was 100% sure its what i wanted :thumbsup:

we have a elevated front garden too :(

when we sold our first house i suppose we got a lot more than what we would have if the landlords wernt buying,they have now bought the whole street i was told :( its such a shame,i have been back for a look just recently and i carnt believe its the same place,where did all the flowers in the gardens go why was there washing hanging in the front gardens when they all have gardens at the back :eek: .

but saying that im pleased to say that leeds centre have started to build quite a number of student blocks which do make it very busy in certain areas, but hopefully theses small areas that once was lovely shall have families living in them again. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought if you love your house and want to make garden more secure, why not try some dog fencing, we brought some 6ft 6 high 50metres in length for about £250, plus cost of fence posts. It is a bit ugly to start with, but in a couple of years we have jasmine, honeysuckle and clematis growing on it.

It's a nice idea but we live in a conservation area and are not allowed to erect fencing out the front unless it's in keeping i.e. a picket fence. We don't have a back garden to speak of really, just a series of mini terraces. We did put up some picket fence at the front, as a saftey feature, as there's a six foot drop to the pavement below. The estate agent who called round yesterday said we could put up picket fencing all around, as long as there was still access across our property for the neighbours. It may come to that, but it wouldn't prevent a whippet jumping the fence. Fred and Stan won't jump it, but one day I'll want a younger whippet again, and I'll be back to square one.

I don't think I'll really know if a move is the right thing, until we go along and have a look at some alternative houses. Only then will we know if it feels right. Trouble is, the alternative is a Victorian house with a good sized garden on a busy road or a house on an ex-council estate , which I really don't mind as they can be excellent houses from a practical perspective...but OH is a bit dubious, as he's never lived on an estate before. Sorry if I'm offending anyone here :oops: ....it really isn't my intention.

Nicola said:
I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. We live in a lovely two up two down terraced cottage in a conservation area, of a large Peak District village (it has grown somewhat over the last few years).
I love our little house; it has great views, it's not overlooked, the neighbours are very friendly and quiet, it's on a very quiet road with a park and nature reserve area just down the road (so not far to walk the dogs and let them off lead), and it has some lovely features like open fires, solid stone walls (can't hear the neighbours and lovely and cool in the summer).

However, I feel it restricts the lifestyle I'd like to persue i.e. owning and showing dogs, and being outdoors in the garden more. We do have a small garden, but it's not secure, so I can't relax by leaving doors open, and have to make quite sure the dogs can't escape everytime I want to go out (they do get to sit out in the garden watch the world go by but can't run around). This also means the dogs need to be walked 3-4 times a day which can be a bit tiring at times.

Trouble is, if we want to move to a house with a bigger, more secure garden, it means moving up the hill to one of the more modern estates (which is quite a change from where we are at present...). Even with this extra space I doubt I'll be able to have more dogs for a while, so i'll just be making life a bit easier on myself for gardening/dog walking and being outdoors at home.

Do you think i'm being selfish, and will i miss our lovely little cottage, which we've put a lot of work into? Is getting a bigger garden reason enough to move, especially as my OH is happy with our current house? Has anyone ever regretted moving and wished they could go back to what they used to have? Would i miss our lovely views over the hills?

Just wondered.

Neh mind regretting moving house, i regret moving countries, no wonder my bones n joints ache off with all this damn rain n cold, im literally frozen thro t marra sat here, even my underpants av rust in em, gimmee a nice hot sunny clime anyday, greece thatd do fer me at the mo, eh, walking along a nice beach in nowt but my shorts, sun belting down on my dome, lush turquoise waters lapping at my feet, oh man arent i just pi**ed off at the mo

thats it moan over with, ta fer reading :lol:

keith x

Nicola said:

I had our house valued today...I got a pleasant surprise. :)   We're on one of the most desirable roads apparently :b , which makes it a tougher decision though.

I was one of those students who forced Trish to move (w00t) I wasn't bad though, I always looked after our gardens (much to the amusement of the lads who I lived with) and I even got a gardener in once when we moved to a house which was very overgrown :D (oh and I also was the one who went and cleaned out the bin yards which used to get raided by foxes when I lived in the Harolds - Trish you'll know where I mean :angry: ).

Nicola said:
I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. We live in a lovely two up two down terraced cottage in a conservation area, of a large Peak District village (it has grown somewhat over the last few years).
I love our little house; it has great views, it's not overlooked, the neighbours are very friendly and quiet, it's on a very quiet road with a park and nature reserve area just down the road (so not far to walk the dogs and let them off lead), and it has some lovely features like open fires, solid stone walls (can't hear the neighbours and lovely and cool in the summer).

However, I feel it restricts the lifestyle I'd like to persue i.e. owning and showing dogs, and being outdoors in the garden more. We do have a small garden, but it's not secure, so I can't relax by leaving doors open, and have to make quite sure the dogs can't escape everytime I want to go out (they do get to sit out in the garden watch the world go by but can't run around). This also means the dogs need to be walked 3-4 times a day which can be a bit tiring at times.

Trouble is, if we want to move to a house with a bigger, more secure garden, it means moving up the hill to one of the more modern estates (which is quite a change from where we are at present...). Even with this extra space I doubt I'll be able to have more dogs for a while, so i'll just be making life a bit easier on myself for gardening/dog walking and being outdoors at home.

Do you think i'm being selfish, and will i miss our lovely little cottage, which we've put a lot of work into? Is getting a bigger garden reason enough to move, especially as my OH is happy with our current house? Has anyone ever regretted moving and wished they could go back to what they used to have? Would i miss our lovely views over the hills?

Just wondered.

Nicola said:

Just wondered.

what a dilemma you really do have to do what is right but to loose those beautiful views when you are not in a position to have another dog anyway i also have to walk my dogs 3-4 times a day but i can honestly say i would not be happy on an estate and neither would they good luck with whatever you decide keep us posted :luck:

Just a thought about your options.................It is a bit unconventional, but why not find the perfect house and then market yours, I did this with my last move. I kept looking until the right house came up, and then sold. lucky for us we sold within 2 weeks, but as your current property is in a desirable area, I bet it would be snapped up. Don't move unless you are sure you are doing the right thing! You'll know it when you see it!

Nicola said:
Trouble is, the alternative is a Victorian house with a good sized garden on a busy road or a house on an ex-council estate , which I really don't mind as they can be excellent houses from a practical perspective...but OH is a bit dubious, as he's never lived on an estate before. Sorry if I'm offending anyone here :oops: ....it really isn't my intention.
Some ex-council houses can be very nice; for a brief while we considered moving to the village of Charlbury, and the best house we saw in the village was an ex-local authority one. It was spacious inside and had a HUGE garden over looking fields, and was of course great value for money compared to the cottages period charm, but little internal space and tiny gardens. I wouldn't rule it out; look over some, and talk to some people who live there about the area. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back