The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Has Anyone Ever Regretted Moving House?

Nicola

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. We live in a lovely two up two down terraced cottage in a conservation area, of a large Peak District village (it has grown somewhat over the last few years).

I love our little house; it has great views, it's not overlooked, the neighbours are very friendly and quiet, it's on a very quiet road with a park and nature reserve area just down the road (so not far to walk the dogs and let them off lead), and it has some lovely features like open fires, solid stone walls (can't hear the neighbours and lovely and cool in the summer).

However, I feel it restricts the lifestyle I'd like to persue i.e. owning and showing dogs, and being outdoors in the garden more. We do have a small garden, but it's not secure, so I can't relax by leaving doors open, and have to make quite sure the dogs can't escape everytime I want to go out (they do get to sit out in the garden watch the world go by but can't run around). This also means the dogs need to be walked 3-4 times a day which can be a bit tiring at times.

Trouble is, if we want to move to a house with a bigger, more secure garden, it means moving up the hill to one of the more modern estates (which is quite a change from where we are at present...). Even with this extra space I doubt I'll be able to have more dogs for a while, so i'll just be making life a bit easier on myself for gardening/dog walking and being outdoors at home.

Do you think i'm being selfish, and will i miss our lovely little cottage, which we've put a lot of work into? Is getting a bigger garden reason enough to move, especially as my OH is happy with our current house? Has anyone ever regretted moving and wished they could go back to what they used to have? Would i miss our lovely views over the hills?

Just wondered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eeeek, what a dilemma! We sort of regret moving house but we are glad we did as well, I know that doesn't make sense but I'll try and explain.

Our last house was rented, 3 bedroom modern house with a big garden. I don't like modern houses from the outside but from the inside it was lovely and obviously I prefered the garden. We moved because we wanted to buy a house, what with property becoming so expensive we wanted to do it sooner rather than later. We had also been burgled so didn't feel very secure in the old house.

However, the house we live in now, although its our own, we don't really like it. Namely because of the shoe box garden and the fact that we are VERY overlooked by lots of houses (oh and the neighbour is a bit dodgy!).

We are thankful that we have managed to get on the property ladder but wish we could've afforded something better - or perhaps we wished we had spent longer looking at other houses. So we regretted moving because the house we moved to isn't as nice as the last, but we are glad we moved because we have a house of our own :wacko:

I think that if you take your time looking for a new house, you will not regret it. Although our garden is small, it is secure so we can just leave the door open for the dogs to hurtle in and out of at 100mph :lol:

I'd say go for it, but I do tend to jump into things feet first, then think about the consequences later :b

Good luck :luck:

mmm, thats a tough one!

But i would say......if it benefits you and the dogs and you think you would be HAPPIER............then go for it :thumbsup:

i think most people have doubts when they think about moving, i would love to move, but because of the area we live in (not quite so nice as it used to be) not the house, wish i could lift it up and put it in the middle of a big field :))

good luck with whatever you decide to do :thumbsup:

i used to live in a very similar situation to you nicola , in a little cottage . small not very secure garden but same as you , stone walls , open fire etc , that was just after i got divorced and it was rented . i put a lot of tlc into it and i loved living there .

when i found this house for sale i knew it would be so much better for me and future dogs .

its on an estate and is a 1950s house that was in a real state of dis repair (w00t)

ive been here 4 years now and although i do miss the features of the cottage i do love being able to leave the back door open all day so the dogs can go in and out as they please .

its also a much bigger house and more room for more dogs :- "

so although you will be sad to leave your cottage im sure you will make your new place a happy home if you decide to go for it :thumbsup:

Nicola we moved house 7 years last month (June) and it was from just really around the corner from where we are now.

Ive never regretted it as we now have a much bigger house, a bigger garden and a garage for the OH. The other house was getting slightly cramped with two children animals etc and I knew in my heart it was time to move. I had lots of sleepless nights and even cried at some point....there was so much work to do in the new house....I loved the old house....would I like the new house...would it be too much work .....would it cost too much....would I like living there, would I be happy... I think its only natural to have some reservations - moving is a stressful time... :(

The positives have far outweighed the negatives....but you must do what you feel is the right thing for you. For one make sure you pick the right house and that you one hundred per cent want it.....

Good luck in you house hunting... :luck: :luck:

It sounds like a really hard decision to make but I am a firm believer that it is the people that make a home not the building. Wherever family are, that is where home is.

Jessr123 said:
It sounds like a really hard decision to make but I am a firm believer that it is the people that make a home not the building.  Wherever family are, that is where home is.
Very true....I have to agree.. :) :cheers:

Hi Nicola

That's an interesting thread you've started here. :)

We've lived in 6 houses since we got married, 3 of our own choosing and 3 that came with Richard's job. I think I tend to agree with Jess that it's the people in it that make a home, not necessarily the house itself. I would go further and say that it's also important to have friends around you and to live in a place that you like too. Our vicarage is a large Victorian house with a lovely garden for the dogs to run around in but I'm not really happy in the area so no matter how perfect the house is, I'm having difficulty settling in it. The house we kept on in Shropshire is an 80's 3-bed detached so is a modern house but because I was happy in that village I'm sometimes really nostalgic for the house. :(

Your reasons for moving sound very valid to me though. It is nice that the dogs are able to let off a bit of steam in our garden and nice that we don't have to walk them too often. You're also not in a desparate hurry to move so can look round until you find something you really like - and you will know when you've found the right house! When we moved to Shropshire we must have looked at at least 20 houses in 1 weekend and none of them felt right until we saw the last one and then we just knew it was the house for us. :D

I hope you are able to decide what is best for you both and Fred and Stan! Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :luck:

Some thought provoking responses there...thank you. It has helped to focus my mind :thumbsup:

I've booked an estate agent to come and value the house on Saturday. No point me trying to keep guessing how much it's worth. It's a starting point.

All I would add Nicola is don't underestimate the value of good neighbours. Once you've found a house you like do all you can to find out about the neighbours - especially if you plan on having quite a few dogs. Nothing can spoil your sense of being relaxed and happy at home, however gorgeous your house and garden, if you have mean, mad or malicious neighbours (w00t)

I have a house and garden to die for BUT for about 6 years I had a neighbour who was so ill-willed towards me and broodingly malevolent that I didn't like passing her house to post a letter - sad and pathetic as that sounds :( When she eventually moved it was as if the sun came out. I'd rejoice every time I passed her house that that dark presence was no longer there :cheers: We now have the most gorgeous neighbours and I couldn't be happier :D :D :D GOOD LUCK :luck: :luck: :luck:

Great thread Nicola.................

All I can say is that you will instinctively know if a house can become a home when you walk through the door. Follow your heart, your head has already done the work by suggesting it is time to change. I still think about the very happy times I had in our first cottage, it was special, but was too small and had no parking, we have a 1940's property now, it has a big garden and loads of parking and space, I wouldn't go backwards, but I might go forwards again at some point if it felt the right thing to do :thumbsup: :luck:

jostler said:
All I would add Nicola is don't underestimate the value of good neighbours.  Once you've found a house you like do all you can to find out about the neighbours - especially if you plan on having quite a few dogs.  Nothing can spoil your sense of being relaxed and happy at home, however gorgeous your house and garden, if you have mean, mad or malicious neighbours (w00t)
I have a house and garden to die for BUT for about 6 years I had a neighbour who was so ill-willed towards me and broodingly malevolent that I didn't like passing her house to post a letter - sad and pathetic as that sounds :(   When she eventually moved it was as if the sun came out.  I'd rejoice every time I passed her house that that dark presence was no longer there :cheers: We now have the most gorgeous neighbours and I couldn't be happier :D   :D   :D   GOOD LUCK :luck:   :luck:   :luck:

SO TRUE...............we are having a really bad time with our neighbours...to the point where we have had to phone the police and keep records of everything they do................i have been threatened in the street, sworn at in front of my kids, things poured over our car!!!! and on it goes......

check the neighbours out...it doesnt matter how much you love the house if you have horrid neighbours it ruins everything :rant:

we are going to view a house on sat morning ON THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN !!!!

That's an interesting question as something similar has been going through my mind recently. Our house is a tiny 1930s semi, only 2 beds, one of which is our living room as we use the proper one as our work studio; after 10 years it's beginning to feel a bit cramped and it's difficult to accomodate any overnight visitors (and only room for one futon, which will be full if we get any mor dogs :b ). However, we have a huge mature garden, live in a lovely place which is ideal for dog walking; backing on to a very neglected complex of lakes means it's very private, we would really miss living in proximity to the lakes and the wildlife if we had to move elsewhere. I don't think I'd ever contemplate moving from the village now, the area has been my second home since I came to University here. There are only a couple of other properties in the village I'd be interested in if they ever came up for sale.

Having grown up on a 1960s 'estate' I'd never move back to one now. I like having a house with some period character for one thing and some newer housing developments tend to have less diverse social mixtures. Also, they are usually designed to maximise the number of houses that can be squeezed into the available area, which leads to less privacy which can lead to tensions between neighbours (currently dreading going home to my parents and the constant rows about parking, children trespassing etc :nuke: )

I'd say, don't be in too much of a rush, wait and see if what comes up; you'll know when you've found the right property as it will just 'feel right'.

hely said:
jostler said:
All I would add Nicola is don't underestimate the value of good neighbours.  Once you've found a house you like do all you can to find out about the neighbours - especially if you plan on having quite a few dogs.  Nothing can spoil your sense of being relaxed and happy at home, however gorgeous your house and garden, if you have mean, mad or malicious neighbours (w00t)
I have a house and garden to die for BUT for about 6 years I had a neighbour who was so ill-willed towards me and broodingly malevolent that I didn't like passing her house to post a letter - sad and pathetic as that sounds :(   When she eventually moved it was as if the sun came out.  I'd rejoice every time I passed her house that that dark presence was no longer there :cheers: We now have the most gorgeous neighbours and I couldn't be happier :D   :D   :D   GOOD LUCK :luck:   :luck:   :luck:

SO TRUE...............we are having a really bad time with our neighbours...to the point where we have had to phone the police and keep records of everything they do................i have been threatened in the street, sworn at in front of my kids, things poured over our car!!!! and on it goes......

check the neighbours out...it doesnt matter how much you love the house if you have horrid neighbours it ruins everything :rant:

we are going to view a house on sat morning ON THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN !!!!

Hely, I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through - it just spoils everything doesn't it? But isn't there a new ruling that you have to disclose neighbourly disputes when you come to sell? (w00t)

GOOD LUCK with your search for some good neighbours :huggles:

unfortunatly yes there is jostler :( and thats where the problem lies!!!!

dont even what to move, just cant be bothered with having to live next door to the clampets anymore, its just too knackering having your every move watched!!!

so we will see what happens, to be honest i think we are going to look at this other house out of desperation, its not as big as ours, but its in a nice area so we will see :thumbsup:

No worries...i won't be rushing into anything. I've quietly wanted a bigger garden for the last 3-4 years now but have tried to push this to one side because we have the perfect little house in every other respect (no parking...but it's not a priority). it just gets harder each year! I just have difficulty persuading the OH to move and we are quite fond of our little cottage. His stock response though is, 'you've got a garden and you don't do much in that!'. Hmmmm :angry: He doesn't have to walk the dogs three times a day. He doesn't know that I spend months planning the next plant I'm going to buy at the Bakewell show to try and squeeze into our already full borders. :angry: He doesn't know I spend many a winter's evening deciding the next bloody pot theme for the summer :angry: Who grows him runner beans every year (it is amazing where you can squeeze a few vegetable plants!) :rant: :rant: :b

Sorry to hear you've got such awful neighbours Hely. I am lucky in that respect, for the time being!

Thanks for all your encouragement and words of wisdom :thumbsup:

Oh Nicola... :lol: I hope its not time for a Divorce.... :oops: I am joking of course.....men who'd have them.. :lol: :blink:

give us dogs any day.... :lol: :blink: :- "

Nicola said:
I've quietly wanted a bigger garden for the last 3-4 years now but have tried to push this to one side because we have the perfect little house in every other respect (no parking...but it's not a priority). it just gets harder each year! I just have difficulty persuading the OH to move and we are quite fond of our little cottage. His stock response though is, 'you've got a garden and you don't do much in that!'.
I'm very glad I started my garden when I did (11 years ago now, when I was 30) as I don't think I'd have the energy now. I did quite a lot of clearing, digging and heavy landscaping work (including digging out a 20'+ diameter pond :sweating: ). Then I became quite ill (eventually diagnosed as an underactive thyroid problem) although it's being treated an is gradually getting better, I tire very easily now, so keeping on top of it can be hard work and results in a lot of aches and pains.

It probably does take about 7 years for most things to mature and start to look like your original vision, so don't leave it too long. Does OH like his food? Maybe the best route to a change of heart is by promising lots of nice fruit and veg for his stomach :lol:

Never regretted moving to places with more space for the dogs. It is so great to see them run whenever they want in safe space, :thumbsup: Hope you find something special :luck: :luck: :luck:

Ive recently moved 200 miles away from my family to a town Id only seen twice. The place Ive moved from I was born in - never lived anywhere else. My boyfriend lives in the next town and he was the only person that I knew up here - so very big move for me and the children. The children and I have moved from a extremely small (my bedroom was 4ft4 wide by 7ft and the floor and ceiling sloped) victorian mid terrace house, to a two bedroom proper sized house with lovely outlook and nice garden.

The best think is, the garden I had before you had to cross a pathway (used by everyone else) to get to your garden. You couldnt just leave the back door open for our dogs to go in and out on their own, they had to be supervised, the garden was completely gravel and 6ft wide at its widest point. My new garden is not massive, but I can leave my dining room door open and Evie can go and sun herself on the patio whenever she wants.

Do I regret moving away from my family, to somewhere that I didnt know, but to a larger house with a lovely garden, and a wonderful boyfriend - NOPE. Just watching Evie zoom around the garden and flopping out on the patio and the children having space to have a proper play - is just wonderful.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back