The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello from my 3 pooches

• Thread starter Deleted member 91923
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 91923

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all.
I have some concerns about my Cocker Spaniel (he's under vet treatment) so am wondering if I can ask on here?
IMG_6362.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Joanne, of course, I understand! Thank you. I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience. I’ll try to keep it short so as not to post a whole essay!
My 8 year old Cocker, Archie, was under the weather for about a week before a Hot Spot appeared on his cheek. Vet put him on antibiotics and steroids last Wednesday. He has a cone of shame - or, rather, now a Comfy Cone so he can’t get to the area. However, he’s still so very miserable despite the infection starting to clear up. Reluctant with his food and just so very down and miserable - it’s so worrying.
I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this type of behaviour with their precious dog with a Hot Spot?

It might be a side effect of the antibiotics. They can make dogs feel nauseous and that in turn might make him miserable. You could ask your vet for an alternative antibiotic and also try him on a dessert spoon of live natural yoghurt daily to help rebalance the good bacteria in his gut (which will have taken a hit from the antibiotics).

Thank you Joanne. He was miserable before the antibiotics but I will try the yoghurt, thanks for the tip! He’s normally so bouncy, full of life and the first of my 3 to everything so it’s really worrying to see him depressed and just not himself. X

Oh your boy boy - it's so horrible seeing your dog acting out of character. Even more so when they cannot speak to you :(

I'm afraid I'm not any help but just wanted to check in and see if he's feeling any better?

Hi Josie, thank you so much.
He’s starting to perk up a bit, just today really. I took the collar off him about half an hour ago to give him a little break from it - am watching him like a hawk for scratching! - but so far he’s pretty chilled. Still not complete his normal self but I think he’s on the mend.:)
I’ve been using Manuka Honey on his Hot Spot because of its healing qualities. Highly recommend!!

Stinky Stuff is also supposed to be good for hot spots but I don't know if you can use it with steroids and antibiotics.

Poor cocker! I've always had cockers and I think they're the most sensitive breed ever. I've used Manuka honey as well with great healing/soothing effects, so would keep on with that. But I've also had severe reactions from a past cocker to ANY restraint: cones, comfy collars everything. Oh the misery- we gave up. They just have really extreme emotional lives- which is one reason to love them. (We had a blue roan boy many years ago who actually seemed to faint when having his booster jab- even the vet had never seen anything like it.) Good luck with goldie, who's beautiful BTW!

Ahh thank you :)
He’s definitely not so miserable and seems to be getting used to the Comfy Cone. Hot Spots just seem to take so long to heal :(
Archie’s a rescue (all 3 are) and pretty much Special Needs, bless him!! X

They do! I've a lemon roan boy now and he's very sensitive so I'm always on alert in this hot weather...good luck with yours. Archie has obviously found a safe haven, bless him.

Welcome, its awful to see our dogs upset. Would you try a medical pet shirt? but this will only work depending on how far down the 'hot spot' is on your dog. Hope your dog gets well soon :)

I'm so glad he's feeling happier now. I've used a Comfy Cone on Jasper amd I agree, it's much better than the standard lampshade collar. I liked that you can fold it back for eating, and it was far comfier for sleeping in.

I have to take Arhcie’s off so he will eat - otherwise he refuses, bless him. Didn’t know they could be folded back though! Hope Jasper’s ok. X

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back