The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hello from my 3 pooches

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KazKent, Jun 4, 2018.

< Hi | Hi all >
  1. KazKent

KazKent New Member Registered

Hello all.
    I have some concerns about my Cocker Spaniel (he's under vet treatment) so am wondering if I can ask on here?
    IMG_6362.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2018
    arealhuman and Violet Turner like this.
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

Of course. Be aware we are pet owners, not vets, but we will help if we can.

arealhuman, KazKent and excuseme like this.
  3. KazKent

Hi Joanne, of course, I understand! Thank you. I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience. I’ll try to keep it short so as not to post a whole essay!
    My 8 year old Cocker, Archie, was under the weather for about a week before a Hot Spot appeared on his cheek. Vet put him on antibiotics and steroids last Wednesday. He has a cone of shame - or, rather, now a Comfy Cone so he can’t get to the area. However, he’s still so very miserable despite the infection starting to clear up. Reluctant with his food and just so very down and miserable - it’s so worrying.
    I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this type of behaviour with their precious dog with a Hot Spot?

4. JoanneF

It might be a side effect of the antibiotics. They can make dogs feel nauseous and that in turn might make him miserable. You could ask your vet for an alternative antibiotic and also try him on a dessert spoon of live natural yoghurt daily to help rebalance the good bacteria in his gut (which will have taken a hit from the antibiotics).

5. KazKent

Thank you Joanne. He was miserable before the antibiotics but I will try the yoghurt, thanks for the tip! He’s normally so bouncy, full of life and the first of my 3 to everything so it’s really worrying to see him depressed and just not himself. X

6. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

Oh your boy boy - it's so horrible seeing your dog acting out of character. Even more so when they cannot speak to you :(

I'm afraid I'm not any help but just wanted to check in and see if he's feeling any better?

7. KazKent

Hi Josie, thank you so much.
    He’s starting to perk up a bit, just today really. I took the collar off him about half an hour ago to give him a little break from it - am watching him like a hawk for scratching! - but so far he’s pretty chilled. Still not complete his normal self but I think he’s on the mend.:)
    I’ve been using Manuka Honey on his Hot Spot because of its healing qualities. Highly recommend!!

8. JoanneF

Stinky Stuff is also supposed to be good for hot spots but I don't know if you can use it with steroids and antibiotics.

KazKent likes this.
  9. merlina

merlina Well-Known Member Registered

Poor cocker! I've always had cockers and I think they're the most sensitive breed ever. I've used Manuka honey as well with great healing/soothing effects, so would keep on with that. But I've also had severe reactions from a past cocker to ANY restraint: cones, comfy collars everything. Oh the misery- we gave up. They just have really extreme emotional lives- which is one reason to love them. (We had a blue roan boy many years ago who actually seemed to faint when having his booster jab- even the vet had never seen anything like it.) Good luck with goldie, who's beautiful BTW!

10. KazKent

Ahh thank you :)
    He’s definitely not so miserable and seems to be getting used to the Comfy Cone. Hot Spots just seem to take so long to heal :(
    Archie’s a rescue (all 3 are) and pretty much Special Needs, bless him!! X

11. merlina

merlina Well-Known Member Registered

They do! I've a lemon roan boy now and he's very sensitive so I'm always on alert in this hot weather...good luck with yours. Archie has obviously found a safe haven, bless him.

12. KazKent

Oh bless him.
    Thank you! X

13. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Well-Known Member Registered

Welcome, its awful to see our dogs upset. Would you try a medical pet shirt? but this will only work depending on how far down the 'hot spot' is on your dog. Hope your dog gets well soon :)

14. KazKent

Thank you Violet! It’s on his cheek so that wouldn’t work but thank you anyway!

Violet Turner likes this.
  15. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Well-Known Member Registered

What collar is it?

16. KazKent

Violet Turner and merlina like this.
  17. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

I'm so glad he's feeling happier now. I've used a Comfy Cone on Jasper amd I agree, it's much better than the standard lampshade collar. I liked that you can fold it back for eating, and it was far comfier for sleeping in.

KazKent likes this.
  18. KazKent

I have to take Arhcie’s off so he will eat - otherwise he refuses, bless him. Didn’t know they could be folded back though! Hope Jasper’s ok. X

19. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

He's fine, thanks Kaz - it was years ago he needed it!

KazKent likes this.
< Hi | Hi all >