The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help Cry At Night

nicky12

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
right wer to start had my pup 6days now and he keeps crying most off the night. wev had hardly any sleep and nothing seem to settle him tryed giving somthing chewy to keep him occupied and toys and stuff but he still wont settle. was up at 3am with him this morning and never went bk to bed as he kept crying as soon as i went. iv tryed leaving light on and leaving him for hour but he wont stop any help would be gratfully recieved .thanks a very tired new mum

Could he be cold? What have you got as a bed for him. My whippets all like to be covered up at night, whether it's in bed with me or in a bed on the floor they like to be under the blankets. I have 5 whippets, the 3 girls sleep with me & the 2 'pups' on bean bags on the floor, if the boys get uncovered during the night they wake me up crying so I have to get out of bed to tuck them in.

Linda

my dad suggests that when pups leave mum a blanket is rubbed over her for the scent and a hot water bottle with a ticking watch? poor baby, better get him in with you for big hugs and cuddles!! :wub:

this is his bed its big plastic bed with big fleese blanket

im going to buy him a jumper to see if that helps .not fussed on haing him in bed with us thers bearly enough room for us as it is :D

P3210015.jpg

a loud ticking clock,or leave the radio on low,a plastic pop bottle fille with warm water and placed inside a blanket and put in his bed will keep him warm and comfort him.failing that,get some sleeping tablets from the doctor.(for you not the dog i hasten to add!!!) :- " :lol:

thanks guys and gals i think il try the warm bottle thing and clock for now and the sleeping tabs and ear plugs if that fails .hope he sleeps tonight im knackered lol had to be up for work at 6.30 so never went to bed :( so hopfully if he does same tonight il be in land of nod :)

Don't be tempted to keep trying different approaches or he won't know whats what. You need to be consistant, make sure he has a bedtime routine that suits you and him, and stick to it....supper, last trip to the loo, kiss night night then tucked up warm in bed with the light off. If he learns to differentiate between day and night now, you'll have him sleeping through without needing the toilet much sooner. Don't keep getting up to him in the night (I know that's really hard to start with!), he'll soon come to realise that crying won't get your attention at bedtime. It's early days for him yet in his new home bless him, so he will cry but try to be strong, and it will pay off soon (you might have to take your neighbours a bottle of wine and explain that the noise won't last long!)

Hope this helps, good luck! :luck:

Edited to say: Have you considered a crate? This method works well with a crate as they often feel more warm & secure in their own enclosed space, and it can help with toilet training through the night as they're less likely to wee where they sleep :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all new pup's are like this first off, I know Binx was, and it does drive you mad (w00t)

I found that stuffing his bed with loads of soft toys (remove the eyes and noses and anything that can be chewed off) and let him snuggle down in them to make him feel more safe, and warm.

as with new born babies the midwife used to wrap them tight in a blanket to make them feel sercure and safe, I know dogs are not babies but thinking along those lines does help big time!

it's the same sort of things with teething etc........babies need teething rings, pup's need chews, etc............ :luck: :luck:

just be strong and leave him b, he crys and u jump, he will learn..

Good luck :luck: :luck: :luck: I know how horrible it is, but they do learn. Just make sure he is nice and warm, has something to cuddle and it isn't completely quiet, then he has everthing he needs and you needn't worry

The ticking clock semed to work for us

monty did this for the first 2 weeks we had him and it was heart breaking, but eventually he did learn to get himself to sleep. It sounds like you are doing everything right, just remember that 6 days is not a very long time and it's all still a big shock to him.

His bed looks very pretty & fluffy & snuggly.... but do you cover him? If not I am sure his tummy is warm where he lays on the bed but his top half will be cold. Try covering him with a blanket.

Linda

ID NEVER COVER A PUPPY,,, JUST ASKING FOR TROUBLE...

I really feel for you, Chloe cried at night for ages after we got her. Infact, my husband says it was easier coping with a new born baby than it was a new Dobermann!

We tried all the usual tricks, leaving a radio on low, ticking clock etc. However, we were consistant and didn't give in. We had decided that she was going to sleep in the kitchen and that was that. We did not relent and let her into our room, although my god we felt like it! After about 3 weeks she got the message and slept through fine. If you keep going down when the crying starts you are reinforcing the message that if you cry, you get attention.

I would definitely recommend a crate. Frankie has got one and i think they're brilliant. :luck: Don't worry, it may not seem like it will ever happen, but it will!

:D well thanks for all ur help guys and gals we wrapped him in blancket and gave him hot water bottle last night all nice and snug and he slept all night long bless him :wub: so he must have been cold so im guna get him some pjs done for the night :thumbsup: thanks again everyone

We have just gotten a siberian husky pup a couple of weeks ago and i gave her a fluffy highland cow teddy that she loves to cuddle into. When we first got her she would settle into her bed and i covered her over with a blanket. When we left her in the kitchen during the day or when we needed to go out, she would howl the house down. So i made sure she had lots of toys to play and chew on and i also put one of my t-shirts in her bed and left the radio on low. She no longer makes any noise now.

As others have said be consistent and do not give into him when he crys. Please do keep at it as he will soon learn.

Hope you get some sleep soon.

Good news, did you see "me or the dog" last night?

she bought the dog a lovely bed, like a kennel, it

would be a perfect whippet bed.

simpsoney said:
We have just gotten a siberian husky pup a couple of weeks ago and i gave her a fluffy highland cow teddy that she loves to cuddle into. When we first got her she would settle into her bed and i covered her over with a blanket. When we left her in the kitchen during the day or when we needed to go out, she would howl the house down. So i made sure she had lots of toys to play and chew on and i also put one of my t-shirts in her bed and left the radio on low. She no longer makes any noise now.
As others have said be consistent and do not give into him when he crys. Please do keep at it as he will  soon learn.

Hope you get some sleep soon.

sorry to hog your thread, but would love to see some picture of your siberian husky - just my sister-in-law just been getting one too - Boo - shes now 17 weeks.

And hope the crying stops soon Nicky, Im sure it will once your pup realises hes safe and warm and feels confident around your family. it all takes time and patience - but we al get there in the end - Honestly. :thumbsup: Good Luck :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aah I'm glad you covered him. I dont know that you actually have to wrap him although if he slept through he must've liked it. I just put a blanket over the top of the boys or now that they understand what to do sometimes I just lift it up & they scoot under. best of luck for some peaceful nights.

Linda

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back