The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help Pls!! My Puppy Jack Russel

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
if you tale an insure out that has an excess get that amount of mony together and give it to someone you can trust how will not give it you back under any surcomstances unless its for the vet and you wont even have to worry about that eather.

jammiebasket said:
I've been looking around all the different insurance companies for pets and to be honest Tesco was the best. I first checked More Than as you always see that on the tv, for that I would be £10.03 a month and have to pay the excess of £65/£15%, this other place was 25% :blink: . But tesco is £7.47 a month and a set excess of £60!! so that aint too bad I'm putting in for it when my pup has had his second injection on the 19th as he's not eligible right now.

A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR HELPING :thumbsup:

jammie

Please make sure that whatever policy you choose is a COVERED FOR LIFE policy which means that if your dog gets (for example) an allergy this year, he will be treated under the policy and you'll just pay the excess and then once you move into the next policy year, he'll still be covered for that condition and you'll just pay another excess when you have further treatment.

If you choose a policy which is not a covered for life one, it would mean that your dog would be covered for the allergy for the first year....but as soon as you moved into the second year, that illness would be excluded and you'd never be covered for it again.

What I'm saying (in a long winded way) is that unless your policy is a covered for life one, it's neither use nor ornament. They may be a couple of £'s extra per month but they are the only ones worth having (in my opinion).

I use Petplan for my lot.

Edit:- I've just had a quick look at Tesco's policy and from what I can see, there's no mention of it being a covered for life policy http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finan...tins/faq.html#3

If you look at Petplan, they tell you immediately that your pet would be covered for life http://www.petplan.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
jammiebasket said:
I've been looking around all the different insurance companies for pets and to be honest Tesco was the best. I first checked More Than as you always see that on the tv, for that I would be £10.03 a month and have to pay the excess of £65/£15%, this other place was 25% :blink: . But tesco is £7.47 a month and a set excess of £60!! so that aint too bad I'm putting in for it when my pup has had his second injection on the 19th as he's not eligible right now.

A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR HELPING :thumbsup:

jammie

Tescos stop paying after a year of the condition, so if your dog got a lifelong illness you'd be stuck.

I pay around £11 for my whippet at Marks and Spencer and that includes NO excess and lifelong cover.

Wendy

Wendy

Why not just put a little aside every month for vets fees that is what I do as I find for small animals insurance tends to be a bit of a rip off. Most of you routine vets bills are not covered jabs, spaying and first vets visits (due to the exess) lots don't cover for long term illness. we have never had alot of money also, so this is what I do. £10 an month is £120 a year with a little luck over 10 to 15 years this should cover most of the illness in later life plus cover for yearly jabs unless you are unlucky. JRT are tuff littlr critters so you should be OK.

tommy gunn said:
Why not just put a little aside every month for vets fees that is what I do as I find for small animals insurance tends to be a bit of a rip off. Most of you routine vets bills are not covered jabs, spaying and first vets visits (due to the exess) lots don't cover for long term illness. we have never had alot of money also, so this is what I do. £10 an month is £120 a year with a little luck over 10 to 15 years this should cover most of the illness in later life plus cover for yearly jabs unless you are unlucky. JRT are tuff littlr critters so you should be OK.
No, the basics aren't covered, but in this case it could have covered the vet visit for the sick tummy. In my case at 7 years old Chelsea had an impaction that just about killed her and just over £1000 later she did end up coming out okay. We would have found the money no matter what, but some people just do not have that kind of money. Based on yoru calculations that would barely cover it, and now what about her old age stuff? We'd be back to square one. This way we were covered and what was paid out was far less than what we've paid into her insurance over the years. We've also had 2 lumps removed and a couple of other small things. For us it has added up and paid off, even with the 3 dogs.

Wendy

tommy gunn said:
Personally, I don't think its worth taking a risk on. If you did put away £10 a month rather than paying £10 per month to your insurance company, and the dog had one single accident (leg break for example) your £120 will go absolutely nowhere. It costs more than that for an emergency call out and an x-ray regardless of the size of the dog in question. So then what happens? You're left with the rest of the bill to pay from that accident, plus you have none of the original £120 left to pay for whatever else may happen during the year.

If a person has lots of spare funds, I agree that insurance probably isn't a necessity but for your average pet owner (like me and many on this forum) it's an absolute lifeline (sometimes literally).

Some realy good valid points being made for and against Insurance.

Keep us updated on how the pup gets on.

tommy gunn said:
£60 excess so £18 vets bill not covered, I think!
Not with the Marks and Spencer coverage I quoted earlier in post 29 (and someone else mentioned before that) which is NO excess

Wendy

i hope his problem is sorted :luck: dito for your oh. at least you've done something! a 'friend' of mine used to have a 6wk old puppy..she phoned me at half past 11 at night, saying her pup hadnt eaten or drunk for 2 days, throwing up the whole time.now she was throwing up blood, what should she do? i told her to go to the vet asap as it sounded like a foreign object caught somewhere. she called the next morning. what had she done? NOTHING! oh, they were going to charge me £83, my boyfriend says thats too much. the stupid woman left her for another 2 days before taking her in. the poor creature had to have surgery to remove a chewed up plastic toy from her intestine! had to stay in for a week, costing £347. 2 months later, she still hadnt got the jabs done (too expensive), pup was still allowed to play with the baby's toys as it was 'soooo cute'?! pet insurance? hadnt even heard of it...result? eventually the breeder forcibly removed the puppy from her care.

any other problems, the wonderful people on this site will offer their advice.

once again, :luck:

My pup Tam took ill a few weeks back :( . He was taken in for the day to be put on a drip and blood test's done. I said to the vet as I left,,Just get him well ,,dont care how much it costs. Tam was aloud home that night and the bill was £127.77. Im not rich, thank god for the little card (visa). Over the years I have had wopping big vet bill's,,over £1000 for BJ who in the end got his leg amputated and Abbey ,, over £600,,she had cancer, she died at 4yrs old. My vet let me pay it up over a few months , or I would have had to get them both PTS. Pet insurance is great, but as mine are high risk (racing) it will cost too much for us for the 3,,soon to be 4.

All the best with little Jax :thumbsup: ,,,Hope your OH enjoy's his new job and maybe look into getting a vet that you can pay up over the week's.

after reading this and the post about the guy who amputated his dogs leg cos he couldnt afford the vets bill it makes me wonder how many other pets suffer cos of the cost of vet bills.i know vets have to make a living but surely in cases of hardship they could help out.after all isnt that what they became vets for in the first place?to help animals?or am i being too sentimental?(no offence meant to you by the way jammiebasket,you sound a caring owner to me)i just wonder are there vets out there who faced with a situation where a pet is suffering cos the owner cant afford the treatment, would they help? :(

It is worrying Kris, isn't it?

If someone's pet is involved in an accident or something unforeseen occurs, we will provide emergency care, and then discuss options with the owner. It may be that we amputate a limb instead of extensive and expensive orthopaedic work, for example, in the case of those who genuinely cannot afford 'gold standard' care. We do our best to keep costs down for people on low incomes, and we will allow people to pay-up over time. Sadly a large number of these people never do pay though, so it's getting harder to trust people and give them credit unless their pet is a genuine emergency case. But it's important not to 'x-ray wallets'. Everyone deserves to be informed of the range of options for their pet. I'm not sure how other practices deal with these cases.

I cannot abide people who bring their new dog or puppy into the surgery and ask how much vaccinations or neutering is, then say they can't afford it and don't make an appointment. Worse still, those who DO have money but expect charities to pay for the neutering of their pets, or long-term medication for animals they've adopted. Makes me very annoyed.

i guess its like everything else ilkc,theres folk like you who will genuinely try to help people who are having a hard time trying to pay,and theres folk who take advantage and wont pay their bills.it must be hard trying to judge if someone cant afford to pay or just doesnt want to pay.and then theres vets who are only in it for the money.who probably dont care if an animal is suffering as long as they can afford a new porsche next year!but i think(and hope!) they are few and far between (w00t) i know at the moment the pdsa are running a campaign on tv asking peole to give something back to the pleasure we get from owning animals,by giving a donation of a pound a week. so i suppose they are struggling too.when there are so many calls on our money for various charities like the tsunami,and other disasters then the animal charities must suffer.if there was a charity to help rescue the pets who are trapped and lost in the recent american disaster then i would certainly donate to that as it seems they are rescuing people and just leaving the animals there to die a slow death. :(

In my opinon and it is just my opinon,

Why on earth did you buy a dog if you didnt have the means to pay for any problems that may have occured??? :angry:

When we bought our dog she cost £350.00, when i got her home i went out and bought her a bed and some toys, then we had her insured £180 per year......

A few weeks ago i paid £32.00 for an injec and tabs after she got stung by a bee and she has cut her leg, luckly it didnt need treatment.... :(

She will need nail clipping (havent wanted to give that a go yet) and food and toys and stuff.....

If you cant even pay £18.50 for a conseltation (sp) with the vet, then i question you getting the dog at all, what happens if he needed real treatment, ie he ran out in front of a car or something???? :rant:

Sorry to sound harsh

jammiebasket said:
well thanx guys I have just read over the Marks & Spencers policy and will discuss this with my partner later. I should think that it will be the one we go with.
£60 excess so £18 vets bill not covered, I think!
Comments like this however I do not appreciate, I am not an idiot and nor do I like to made out to be one :angry: . I was well aware that this wouldn't cover that cost. I have been getting a few snide comments about not being able to afford the dog! well I would like to make it clear that I bought the dog on impulse due to my partner and son really wanting one and at Jax's price I couldn't pass up, as it was a Jack Russel that they wanted. I am only down on money at the moment due to my partner being paid off from his last job. Which I am now glad to say has changed as he just got a call and he starts on monday at a new place :D . So please if you don't have any constructive advice to give me then don't bother. I found this site and came here looking for help not to made to feel useless! I am well aware of what it takes to look after dogs I was brought up with them. Jax is well loved and looked after here!

But for people here who have a genuine interest about Jax, I think he is well on the mend, he's been lapping up his chicken and rice with yogurt and hasn't poo'd once today :) , I just hope that it doesn't have the reversed effect :luck: . But at least he doesn't have the runs anymore (w00t)

jammie

[SIZE=14pt] :oops: missed this post....but i still stand by what i said[/SIZE]

Pete has cost us well in excess of a £1,000, it is best to get them insured as you never know., my friends dog cost over£3,000 :(

wow! remind me never to upset you! :p

by the by, hows the little scamp doing? bet he's made himself right at home! glad to know he's passing more solid solids if you catch my drift :)

jammiebasket said:
:angry: All I can say to you tinker bell is whatever!!!! My man has been out of work for only a few weeks and lucky starts new one on monday coming! If the dog badly needed somthing them I'm sure one of my family members would of gladly helped out! I mean are you trying to make out that I would leave the dog to die!!! :angry:   :rant:   No just that he needed some help, as others have said dogs can go down hill very quickly. If you could have borrowed the money they that would have been you best bet, not hope that he would get better on his own
When I said that I didn't have the £18.50 on me that was because I bought the dog at £100, then a bed £40, then food biscuits chews and toys at £80 then I went and bought him a collar and lead £15 then I paid for his first set of innoculations £40!!!! so do not make it out like I bought a dog for the sake of it and am leaving it to rot, alright! The way the people sold the dog to me and my partner their was nothing wrong with him other than being too small or some crap for being a stud!! The breeder obvioulsy didn't treat him right how the hell was I supposed to tell that over a phone aye :angry: By visiting the dog BEFORE you bought it, and making sure it had everything they said it did and if you thought they treated it bad then reported them

DO NOT PROCEED TO JUDGE ME, OK!!!! :rant:   :rant:   :rant: .You put the facts on here not me

Thank fully their isn't anything greatly wrong with him luckly and no he hasn't been hit by a car because funnily enough there is such a thing as a lead and you know what, clever cookie me knows how to use it!! (w00t) arent I just soo clever! :angry:   :rant: grow up

SO LIKE I SAID BEFORE JUST INCASE YOU DIDN'T PICK UP THE HINT. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY CONSTUCTIVE ADVICE THEN DON'T BOTHER!!!! :angry:   :angry: Then dont post stupid things...i.e. my dog needs help i cant afford it anyone got a cheap option blaa blaa

DID YOU CATCH THAT!! :angry:   :angry:   :angry:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back