The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help Pls!! My Puppy Jack Russel

jammiebasket

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Removing this post, as it's old and no longer required.

Last edited:
I would keep a very close eye on him, dont let him become de-hydrated - make sure hes drinking plenty - if not give him some ice cubes, or pour water into him with a spoon or syringe.

The runs itself maybe just something hes eaten or excitement. My youngest whippet Kobi had a bout of D & S (with spots of blood in poo) but it did go away in a few days and put it down to the wormer Id just used.

A few people of K9 said it may be due to straining when he went to the toilet. If its no more than a few spots I wouldnt worry, but if it carries on you must take him to the vets for a check up, in case its any thing more sinister. :(

Another recommendation on here was to give your dog natural yoghurt or pro-biotic yoghurt for upset tummies.

Hope this has been some help and maybe you will get some other advice from others too. :thumbsup:

If you are having money problems then explain this to the vet - he may be able to come to some arrangement with you, but dont let the dog suffer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jammiebasket,

What you describe could be caused by several things from the very simple (like the change of food/home causing him to have bad runs and so bleed slightly with straining) to something more serious.

You could realy do with getting him to see a vet.

Like Janimale has said you could try explaining to a local vet your situation and hopefully they would come to some arangment or if not they will know of a local center (RSPCA ect) who will offer cheaper treatment for those not working?

but i'd definatly advise getting him checked out for your own peice of mind as well as the welfare of the dog.

hope this helps.

Yes I advise seeing the vet too. Sounds like colitis to me - but these sort of symptoms can be indicative of all manner of problems, so best to have him checked out :(

Terriers would still be running around playing if they only had one leg left and no eyes!!! Unfortunately there very nature is just to get on with it and not give up (unlike the more wimpy running dogs) so the fact he is quite well in himself probably doesn't mean that much apart from he obviously is not on deaths door :D

Best of luck to him and you I'm sure he'll be absolutely fine in no time with a bit of treatment.

I'd definately get him to the vets. My girl had gastrenteritis and had same symtoms as your lad. She needed an injection to treat it and lots of fluids. The thing is dogs can go downhill pretty quickly and especially if they become dehydrated.

After the injection Ellie soon picked up. Who knows- maybe she would've done anyway , but she'd had it for a couple of days and I couldn't risk it.

Good Luck with whatever you do and hope he's feeling better soon.

If you are in the UK (which I'm assuming you are), I'd get yourself and the pup to the nearest PDSA hospital as quickly as possible. I wouldn't delay for another moment.

With absolute respect, it's extremely dangerous to take on a dog without having the means to pay for veterinary treatment - and also very dangerous to purchase a dog from anyone without checking the vitally important vaccine info etc beforehand.

Let us know how your pup gets on.

Hi again :)

The problem is, if this is a serious illness, you may not have until tomorrow.

How about phoning round some vets in your local area and see if any of them will see you. I suspect that they will.

blood in the dogs motions could potentially be VERY serious.theres a disease called parvo virus which is a killer,that why its important to have injections.get him to a vet explain the money situation and throw yourself on their mercy.hopefully no vet with a conscience will turn you away.

There have been many pups sick with some intestinal bug lately, this can be very dangerous for very young ones. Considering that your puppy is already 6 months old, is an advantage.

When pups have parvo they usually go down hill fast and i am pretty sure they have high fever.

In any case, as most people already said; the most important thing is to prevent dehydration. Good idea is to get some electrolytes from the vet. Especially, before the weekend just in the case his runs and vomiting gets worse. Make sure he drinks and do not give him anything fatty, no milk. Best is boiled rice (very soft) with chicken ( no skin) with live yoghurt . That's after the 24 hours being starved.

:luck: :luck: :luck: and keep us posted!

Lida

Sprout said:
If you are in the UK (which I'm assuming you are), I'd get yourself and the pup to the nearest PDSA hospital as quickly as possible.  I wouldn't delay for another moment.
With absolute respect, it's extremely dangerous to take on a dog without having the means to pay for veterinary treatment - and also very dangerous to purchase a dog from anyone without checking the vitally important vaccine info etc beforehand.

Let us know how your pup gets on.

I echo this sentiment....With respect, what happens if he breaks a leg falling off the sofa...........I think it is good to be concerned, but ifyou could afford the money to pay for him, the vet's bill should be achievable. Pets come first. Wishing him well.

Hope he's ok - keep us posted. You've been given some really good advice from everyone here. I'd seriously consider insuring your pup after this episode is over - then cost won't be a worry. I'm sure there's a section in FAQ about it.

In fact, here you go!

Insurance (FAQ thread)

jammiebasket said:
Well thats Jax been starved for the 24 hours and he did do a poo last night on his paper but it was half hard half soft, so I'm taking it that's it getting better. Their wasn't any blood either :D .
Unfortunatly he's snubbing the rice that I have given him :( , he just keeps sniffing about for his stuff. I have lifted his bowl and will try him again in a bit.

Right now he's sleeping just away to get ready to take him for a walk.

Jammie

Just mix in bit of cooked chicken. But take the skin off first. It may help to cook the rice in the chicken broth to give it bit of taste.. Sounds he is on the mend, just stick to the overcooked rice foir the weekend and introduce other food only slowly and gradually. :thumbsup:

Lida

He will eat it when he's hungry, glad to hear he's on the mend. :thumbsup:

jammiebasket said:
well I went out to asda and bought a cooked chicken for him, I've stripped it down and added just a little to his rice and also put in a table spoon of Pro Biotic Yogurt to stop it from being too dry. He has just devoured it  (w00t) .
so fingers crossed that it settles well :luck:   :unsure: .

Jammie

Gooooood, just feed him small amounts, often, rather than big meals. :thumbsup:

I hope you are going to get him insured? if you cant afford £18.50 for a consultation, you will be really stuck if he has an expensive illness or injury. 22 years ago my then four month old dobe puppy managed to climb up a rock she then jumped off......breaking both her back legs. That cost us £250 in treatment then, you could probably double it at least nowadays! I hope he soon recovers fully from whatever it is.

:D Marks and Spencers do one with no excess. :thumbsup: A little more a month but could be worth looking into .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back