The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help!!!!

ecksey

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i have an 18 week old grey x puppy named teazle who has just taken a liking to eating my walls!!!!!!! :rant: not only does she strip the wall paper, but she has gone through plaster board walls, and know started on plaster!!!!!! i dont know what to do i seem to have tried everything i know, telling her off, frightening her away, all the conventional ones to no avail, she has done it tonite near some telephone and electric cables, so now i am frightened for her safety, please, anyone with any ideas really welcome.

thanks

cara.

thats what my Bliss did in my house :b , i tried all the same stuff but eventually i had to have all the wiring changed and tiled my walls :oops:

they do grow out of it eventually :b best of luck :luck:

my pup doing that at the momment,,,,,iam lucky thats its in the same place,,,,so ive stuck a poster over it,,till my pup stops doing it,then ill repair it

iam also very lucky that iam a plasterer by trade :lol:

:- " I had a greyhound xbedlington that did the same in my hall..Papered the walls twice and twice she ate it :eek: I wondered if it was some thing in the wallpaper paste that makes it appealing? :blink: maybe its salty?? I just didnt decorate again and left the walls bare :lol:

littlenell said:
:- " I had a greyhound xbedlington that did the same in my hall..Papered the walls twice and twice she ate it :eek:   I wondered if it was some thing in the wallpaper paste that makes it appealing? :blink: maybe its salty?? I just didnt decorate again and left the walls bare :lol:

hi it is the wallpaper paste that they like its made from something derived from fish, thats why it is so tasty, all my dogs have done the wallpaper thing, and i dont worry about it just decorate at a later date, but it was the plaster and electric cables that was worrying me, :eek: thanks

whippeteerThe1st said:
my pup doing that at the momment,,,,,iam lucky thats its in the same place,,,,so ive stuck a poster over it,,till my pup stops doing it,then ill repair it
iam also very lucky that iam a plasterer by trade :lol:

(w00t) (w00t) glad i am not the only one !!.............. but try telling that to my OH!!

think i am going to try covering it for now and hope she forgets it is there

thanks

cara.

Oh Blimey Cara :(

Have you tried things like the bitter apple spray or surgical spirit sprayed on?

I always think things like this are a bit 'habit'....once they start, they can't stop....kind of thing (w00t) If you can break the cycle then she will hopefully forget.

Also, she might be really teething and have sore gums and stuff, so try giving her a carrot to chew on, or some big marrowbones. If she gets rid of her 'chewing session for the day' on something like that, she might not even bother with the wall :thumbsup:

:luck: :luck: :luck:

TCx

can you put a crate or some other object in fron of the wires ? if not can they be re routed to somewhere else ?

again put a puppy pen panel in front of where she is chewing the plaster .

i did all these things but in the end i just got all the wires re routed and tiled the walls half way up :blink:

drastic measures but as i knew i would have more litters in the future i thought it a good investment :thumbsup:

ecksey said:
i have an 18 week old grey x puppy named teazle who has just taken a liking to eating my walls!!!!!!!  :rant:   not only does she strip the wall paper, but she has gone through plaster board walls, and know started on plaster!!!!!! i dont know what to do  i seem to have tried everything i know, telling her off, frightening her away, all the conventional ones to no avail, she has done it tonite near some telephone and electric cables, so now i am frightened for her safety, please, anyone with any ideas really welcome.
thanks

cara.

when does she do this is it when you are at home or when you are out?

one of my lab pups did this years ago, knawing at the corner of the wall going through to the kitchen, it was usually when he was watching someone make food.. i think he was looking at the food, imagining chewing it and his jaws were just acting out :lol:

i gave it a wipe over with a lemon and he didn't do it again :thumbsup:

though i'd worry about her eating too much paper and paste i'm sure that most paste's have an anti-fungiside in them :(

TC said:
Oh Blimey Cara  :(
Have you tried things like the bitter apple spray or surgical spirit sprayed on?

I always think things like this are a bit 'habit'....once they start, they can't stop....kind of thing  (w00t) If you can break the cycle then she will hopefully forget.

Also, she might be really teething and have sore gums and stuff, so try giving her a carrot to chew on, or some big marrowbones. If she gets rid of her 'chewing session for the day' on something like that, she might not even bother with the wall  :thumbsup:

:luck:   :luck:   :luck:

TCx

:thumbsup: yes sour grapes is another good one to stop the doing this my m8s american coker used to chew but this stop it. :luck:

hi all thanks for the replies, the place she is doing it is near a door so i cant get anything in front, havent tried any sprays, where do i get them? she doesnt seem to do it at any particular time, i dont think she is bored she has loads of toys, bones etc. to play with and chew on, she is walked lots, she also has ecksey to play with, she doesnt eat what she pulls out just leaves it once the deed is done, she isnt getting as much attention at the moment as i have been really busy, no excuses, got a pub to run!!! so i thought it might have been that. thanks.

think you could be right about the teething tracy, she is always mouthing something.

thanks again

cara.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most pet shops have behaviour sprays. You could try giving her a kong stuffed full of chewy stuff.

Also some wallpaper pastes have a flour base (and carpet pastes) so she may be drawn to it - especially if she has a wheat / gluten allergy - for some reason they seem to want to eat it if they are allergic!

ecksey said:
hi all thanks for the replies,  the place she is doing it is near a door so i cant get anything in front, havent tried any sprays, where do i get them? she doesnt seem to do it at any particular time, i dont think she is bored she has loads of toys, bones etc. to play with and chew on, she is walked lots,  she also has ecksey to play with, she doesnt eat what she pulls out just leaves it once the deed is done, she isnt getting as much attention at the moment as i have been really busy, no excuses, got a pub to run!!! so i thought it might have been that. thanks.
think you could be right about the teething tracy, she is always mouthing something.

thanks again

cara.

id try putting her in a crate when your busy not there etc so that when she does it you can teach her no consistency is the main thing she wont learn if she gets told no when you see her doing it and nothing when shes alone if you dont mind using a crate that is hope this has made sense

hi thanx to all, today OH bought some training s[pray, it contains citronella, so we will have a go with that, i will keep you all posted.

hi its been 2 days now, touch wood, it seems to be working, so thank you, to all.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back