The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Holly Has A Bad Day

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
It nearly made me cry too. Poor Holly. :( :angry:

I have absolutely no experience of broken bones and dogs. Is it normal to leave a plate in permanently? :blink: Poor, poor Holly.

Don't feel guilty...you couldn't have known. It's a worthwhile lesson though not to take what a vet says at face value, and to trust your instinct when you know something is amiss, even though you are being told otherwise. Holly's case is certainly making me sit up and take note!

Good luck Holly :luck: , and :huggles: to you and Holly. Hope you're starting to feel a bit better about all this.

Poor Holly. sending lots of :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: for a speedy recovery :luck: :luck: :luck:

We opted to have Leia's plate taken out straight after it had healed because she too had an infection and it was very difficult to shift, and secondly the longer the plate is on, the bone should grow over it and so it can be very difficult to take it out at a later date if it needs to come out for any reason. But - they can be left in - the other one has caused Holly no problem, and it is the worst of the 2 legs for deformity, so perhaps it would have been even worse had the plate not been left in?

Loads and loads of :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: for you and Holly.

Wishing her a speedy recovery :wub:

Aw, big hugs to lovely, brave Holly Banana-legs :huggles: and a big hug to you to Rae. You mustn't feel awful, you can only do the best you can with the information you have, and rely on/trust professionals to help too. I'm sure it's one of those situations where no one could have known until the x-ray was done.

Lots of healing thoughts for Holly. Let's hope she goes from strength to strength now with good food, nice herbs to promote healing, and lots of love from her VERY loving family.

Nicola said:
I have absolutely no experience of broken bones and dogs. Is it normal to leave a plate in permanently?
My Frankie had a compound fracture and his plate was removed after about 5 months once the # was healed. I think wires and screws are generally left in situ but plates removed, purely for the reason that poor Holly has endured.

I wish Holly all the best for a speedy recovery, :thumbsup: but I agree with the others Rae,you can only go by what your Vet has said and at the end of the day they not you are the ones with the qualifications and if you can't trust them, then who do you trust?? Please do not be hard on yourself at least Holly has it sorted now and it was all done at once and not in several different "sittings",so hopefully wont be as hard on her in the long run.Lots of Whippety cuddles to her :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: and to you too!

Moss says they can compare scars at a later date. :)

Ouch..... I hate seeing those drainey things on dogs - reminds me too much of Chips wounds.

Poor Holly - sending Good wishes for a speedy recovery. :huggles: :luck: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Get well soon Holly. :huggles: She probably feels a lot better now the infection and cause has been removed. I bet she will pick up really quick now.

And dont you worry, no body could have forseen this, except perhaps a good vet may have wondered why she had an open sore on a bent leg.

Big big hugs to Holly for a speedy recovery :huggles: :huggles: :luck: :luck:

Big hugs to you both. :luck: :huggles:

Karen said:
Get well soon Holly.  :huggles:   She probably feels a lot better now the infection and cause has been removed.  I bet she will pick up really quick now.
And dont you worry, no body could have forseen this, except perhaps a good vet may have wondered why she had an open sore on a bent leg.

:lol: Yes - and now that I know I cant believe that they didnt think of it sooner. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but now I know it's there I can even feel the plate on her other leg - which could ofcourse be considered abnormal bone along with the rest of her leg, but you'd think a vet (and she has seen 4 at that practice up to now) may have had some sort of suspicion. (I'm going to borrow a metal detector or strong magnet in future :- " )

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not that nothing is coming out of the leg drain - I know there is still some infection left as they vets said there was yesterday. :unsure:

Anyway she has eaten well and had a few nice potters in the sun and will now spend the rest of the evening on her throne (my knee) :wub:

The rest of the dogs are being really good with her and they all gave her a lovely greating yesterday, even Leia was all submissive and girly :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rae said:
The rest of the dogs are being really good with her and they all gave her a lovely greating yesterday, even Leia was all submissive and girly  :huggles:
Awwwh! The cat has been extra nice to Gelert since he hurt his leg too, they certainly seem to know when summat's up :huggles:

Poor poor Holly! :( So pleased it's all sorted now and looking positive. :huggles: :huggles: She is lovely! :wub: :wub: o:)

Don't beat yourself up Rae. The vets are definitely at fault and Holly herself wasn't telling you anything was wrong. I hope she has a speedy recovery. :wub: :wub:

Oh Rae (w00t) Poor you!

How lucky is Holly to have someone who cares enough to hassle her vet to get the right treament ... Well done! :cheers:

Do hope you are ALL feeling better now that she is on the road to recovery.

(Don't worry too much about the lack of drainage ... I am sure she has had heavy doses of antibiotics as well as having the bone well washed during the op. Any infection should be severly knocked out now & you may have minimal/no obvious drainage - just try & prevent 'helpful' nurses from licking her drain sites (w00t) )

:huggles: to you & Holly (& all her little helpers) :huggles:

Looking forward to meeting this lovely little lady & her family! :thumbsup:

Poor little girl :(

I hopes she makes a speedy recovery :luck: :luck: :huggles:

What a traumatic time for you and poor Holly. :( Hope she has a speedy recovery. :luck: :luck: I'm sure she will get loads of fuss and cuddles. :huggles: :wub: :huggles:

:luck: :luck: to Holly and WELL DONE to you :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back