Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Home Needed Asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

peony

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have just heard from a really good friend of mine, that she has reached the conclusion she has to rehome her Jack Russell Terrier. She is gutted and this is very much a last resort.

'Badger' is a 4 year old, castrated male, he is fully house trained, vaccinated and micro chipped and very easy to look after. My friend has had him since he was 8 weeks old and adores him, but unfortunately, her now crawling daughter loves him too, only a little too much :eek: . Poor child desperately wants to spend her time swinging off Badgers tail :wacko: , sleeping in Badgers bed ;) , eating out of Badgers bowl :x or just generally sucking his face :blink:

Badger has always been a 'talky' kind of chap and has never shown any signs of aggression, but he has growled at crawly child twice now and my friend doesnt think she can take the risk of keeping the two together. Personally, I would keep growly terrier and rehome crawly child, but there you go lol

Anyway, I am sure you all will appreciate, the sooner Badger gets a home where he can have his life back, the happier he will be ............... as I have said, my friend is gutted and this really is a last resort. Please contact me for more details and I will try and get some pictures.

I would have jumped at the chance to have him, had I not just got Archer, and no matter how much I tell myself I could manage another one, realism pokes her nose in and tells me NO !!!!!!

Fingers crossed someone knows of someone who might give this boy a lovely home,

the child is also going to be distraught at loosing the dog

Has your friend consulted any suitably knowledgeable people to discuss ways of managing her childs' behaviour with the dog? Has she thought of how she could have a regime (at least in the short-term) in which the dog and child are not left together alone but do have supervised time together

there are already too many dogs looking for homes so I am always glad if I hear that people find a way around difficulties without rehoming their companions

Oh what a shame :(

Has your friend thought about a largish crate for either the dog or child (w00t)

Seriously....somewhere the dog can escape :- "

I know what crawly kids are like...surived 3 :- "

Easier said than done I know, but boundries have to be learnt at an early age :b

Good luck either way :luck:

MMMMMMM....bad situation this. personally id give "barnardos orphanage" a ring. . :- "

i think before replying to this thread and condemning the childs manners please remember shes 14 MONTHS AND A CRAWLING BABY FERFUXSAKE ! she doesnt deserve an ASBO or sat in the corner and told how to conduct herself in a dog-friendly fashion ! :eek:

a terribly hard descision to have made and i commend her courage :thumbsup: . only she knows her own dog and lets face it jack russels are little bastards at the best of times WITHOUT being made jealous or having their arses poked. :oops:

do we need any more newspaper headlines about mauled babys..? was there not someone else on k9 whos little lad had his face ripped by some dog..wonder what that childs mothers views are ?

this mother has weighed up the situation and decided shes not playing the percentage game with her baby. :thumbsup: personally i think she shouldve thought about contraception but hey...... :oops:

j :wacko: hn

this is a horrible situation, when my eldset son started to crawl both of my dogs were some what put out by his constant attention. my whippet x would get out of his way ( we put two sofas together to seal off a corner of the room that the dogs could get to but the kid couldnt ) but the gsd x just couldnt cope with him. i tried constant supervision but one day she went for him right under my nose. i'm afraid to say that i had her put to sleep the same day. i couldnt stand the thought of her biting someone elses child or not knowing where she was if i rehomed her. judge me if you like but i know that i did the right thing for my family.

if this lady feels that she needs to rehome her dog before some thing bad happens then it is her decision to make, ultimatley as much as you love your dog you children have to come first.

Macha said:
the child is also going to be distraught at loosing the dogHas your friend consulted any suitably knowledgeable people to discuss ways of managing her childs' behaviour with the dog? Has she thought of how she could have a regime (at least in the short-term) in which the dog and child are not left together alone but do have supervised time together

there are already too many dogs looking for homes so I am always glad if I hear that people find a way around difficulties without rehoming their companions

Please get a grip on realality!!!

If the dog bites the little one it is most likely to be on the face!!

Knowing Jack Rat's it is unlikely to be a single snap but more like a full on blood bath!!

Managing the childs behaviour !! She is 14mths old.

Too many dogs looking for homes I agree but she is not able to keep him on these grounds. If he bites her he is unlikely to have a life let aloan a home.

Would you honsetly take the risk? If you would then your also might need to consult a suitable knowledgeable person to discuss possible implacations of a dog and small child, Try A&E, Paediatric ITU, Plastic surgeon!!

Thanks everyone ......................hmmmmmmmmmmmm I did start to feel somewhat judged for a while, but am prepared to stand my ground ................ :- " YES there are too many dogs in rescue

YES when people have dogs, they should have them for LIFE

YES owners should do all they can to make sure the dog is 'safe' from children

YES owners should educate their children in the art of dog behaviour

but, as I stated in my original plea, the child has started to crawl. Obviously, said child is interested in everything and potentially there is a chance the child may be out of her mothers eyesight for a fraction of a second. I would have imagined that any responsible parent would have their childs welfare as of paramount importance. (w00t)

My friend has tried every which way she can, to keep Badger and is devastated at the thought of having to find him a new home, better she do this surely than either just get him put to sleep or abandon him????

I for one, think she is behaving responsibly. :thumbsup:

peony said:
Thanks everyone ......................hmmmmmmmmmmmm I did start to feel somewhat judged for a while, but am prepared to stand my ground ................  :- " YES there are too many dogs in rescueYES when people have dogs, they should have them for LIFE

YES owners should do all they can to make sure the dog is 'safe' from children

YES owners should educate their children in the art of dog behaviour

but, as I stated in my original plea, the child has started to crawl. Obviously, said child is interested in everything and potentially there is a chance the child may be out of her mothers eyesight for a fraction of a second. I would have imagined that any responsible parent would have their childs welfare as of paramount importance.  (w00t)

My friend has tried every which way she can, to keep Badger and is devastated at the thought of having to find him a new home, better she do this surely than either just get him put to sleep or abandon him????

I for one, think she is behaving responsibly. :thumbsup:

peony , i know wot your friend must be going though my jack is 4 now and my child is 19months and like any child, he does try to wind my dog up, to witch i do try to keep them apart, untill my son nows he cant jump in the dogs bed or eat his toys ect..., i found the only time my jack moans is when he really tried , or if woken, like most dogs, i wish your friend the best ,and her dog a happy new life :huggles:

Wish everyone the best of luck, seems to me that this hasn't been a hasty decision.

u should PM kris about this i know she is mad for a jack..... just dont tell jimmy i told u (w00t)

It is a very sad situation all round, but at least your friend has tried to make it work. The people who really upset me are those who give up on their dog before the baby even arrives because they *think* it might be jealous or a danger to the baby.

Dogs and toddlers often can live together very happily, but this dog has made it clear that he isn't comfortable with the situation. If things progressed until he nipped, then he would be labelled as a 'child biter' and would be almost impossible to rehome. Better to take him out of the situation now.

I hope your friend is able to find a good home for her dog :luck:

Didn't mean for you to think I was judging :(

Just can't imagine being in such a miserable situation...feel for all concerned

dana said:
u should PM kris about this i know she is mad for a jack..... just dont tell jimmy i told u  (w00t)
i cant have a boy or else id jump at it!good luck with whatever your friend decides to do.she sounds like she only has the best interests of ALL parties at heart ;)

I didn't register the fact that the child is only 14 months old. I don't think any very young children should be left unsupervised with any dogs, and older children shouldn't be left alone with dogs unless and until you are quite sure both of the behaviour and temperment of both child and the dog (that was the one thing I didn't like about a recent tv film about an autistic child helped by relating to a pet golden retriever, the two were left along together far too soon - esp bearing in mind the dog was a pup and the child had behaviour problems)

I can see with this 14 month old any contact with the dog is going to be highly supervised, just being present is not enough. But couldn't the dog be kept most of the time in a pen or in a different room (possibly with a barrier gate rather than fully closed door, if secure and childproof enough) and the two taken on walks together (dog on lead and child in pushchair or holding hands)?

Macha said:
I didn't register the fact that the child is only 14 months old. I don't think any very young children should be left unsupervised with any dogs, and older children shouldn't be left alone with dogs unless and until you are quite sure both of the behaviour and temperment of both child and the dog (that was the one thing I didn't like about a recent tv film about an autistic child helped by relating to a pet golden retriever, the two were left along together far too soon - esp bearing in mind the dog was a pup and the child had behaviour problems)
I can see with this 14 month old any contact with the dog is going to be highly supervised, just being present is not enough. But couldn't the dog be kept most of the time in a pen or in a different room (possibly with a barrier gate rather than fully closed door, if secure and childproof enough) and the two taken on walks together (dog on lead and child in pushchair or holding hands)?

Thanks for your comments Macha :wacko: At the end of the day, Badgers owner feels she is no longer able to give him the kind of home he deserves and is used to. The issue here, I feel, is that we try to find him a suitable home, rather than go into the politically correct aspects of toddler/canine relationships. Anyway, here are pictures of the boy in question. Lets just hope that between us all, we can find him a home where he is number one :thumbsup:

Badger22.jpg

Badger12.jpg

Best of luck with rehoming this little chap Peony ( I think his pics will help - he looks a real cutie :wub: )

Oh go on Peony - he would fit in no problem. You know you want him :wub:

(Saw Archer's piccies on another thread he is :wub: )

Rae said:
Oh go on Peony - he would fit in no problem. You know you want him  :wub: (Saw Archer's piccies on another thread he is  :wub: )

Actually, if it werent for Archer, I WOULD have taken Badger in, but in all honesty, I dont have the room for another one, even one as small as Badger. :blink: I am having to sell my Peugeot 306 to make way for the sensible estate car as it is and think that if I suggested buying a bigger house, just to accommodate the dogs, I would definitely become another divorce statistic. :eek:

Anyway, I just KNOW there is the perfect home for Badger out there somewhere :D

a lady asked me today if i knew of any smaller dogs looking for a home and i mentioned badger but she dosent want a jack russel , im keeping my ears open though :thumbsup:

If it were up to me, I'd keep little Badger and rehome the child. (w00t)

He is adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back