The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How Do You Move Your Whippet

neave

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Lets start a new one. When asked to move your dogs how do you do it? is it at a steady walking pace or a gentle run ? which to people perfer? and which is better for assesing the movement of whippets?

I personally opt for a run,after all they are a running breed. :)

And I feel they need to be moved at an adequate pace to assess their movement correctly.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this has been on a thread before and caused quite a "split" in opinions........just for a change :lol:

05whippet said:
I personally opt for a run,after all they are a running breed.  :)
And I feel they need to be moved at an adequate pace to assess their movement correctly.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this has been on a thread before and caused quite a "split" in opinions........just for a change  :lol:

I try to move at a adequate pace too but i've noticed on occassion that people run thier do to try and hide bad movement. I ve also noticed that at some open shows up my way everyone walks their dogs and if i go to run with mine i tend to hold back as not to look silly! but at champ shows exp on grass i will up the pace and i dont look like the odd one out cause everyone else is doing the same.!

I agree with 05 whippet, if the breed is a running breed then they should move at a fair pace. I overheard a comment from an Aussie spectator at Crufts this year, she was watching the whippets and couldnt understand why so many people walked with their dogs - then basically repeated the comment above.

:cheers:

The way I move the dog depends entirely on which dog I am showing -

whatever makes my dog look better, some need to be moved faster and some slower.

However too many people get taken away with the 'glitz and flambuoyancy' of moving a dog fast, if moving your dog slowly shows it off to its best, the judge should not be swayed 'just because you are walking'

I once watched a deerhound judge who made all of the exhibits walk very slowly for a bit of its time, amazing how many faults suddenly appeared!!

i always do a slow run with jan as this shows her movement off very well .

i think it tends to make a good dog "float" round the ring :) IMHO

IMHO the question that should be asked is what is the natural movement of a Whippet. Yes, it is a "running" breed, but it is a galloper not a trotter. Some working breeds on the other hand were bred to move at fast trot for a long distance, but they would not be capable to gallop like a sighthound, So why do we think that our dogs should trot like a GSD? :unsure:

I think it is all about showing your dog off to its best advantage & what suits it best.

I have seen whippets walked at a funeral pace around the ring because they have no enthusiasm for showing & to even try & fasten the pace would make it appear that the dog was near on being dragged around the ring.

Whatever suits your dog i think you should go with. Ok having said this i dont think its suitable to pelt round the ring at top speed BUT some hounds do move out quicker & with a longer stride.

One of my girls does have a long stride in the ring & unfortunately being only 5ft 2" i have to do a bit of a trot to keep up with her otherwise i look like i am stringing her up & stopping her moving. I let her move at her own pace & keep up with her best i can.

However i was told by a judge to stop running with my dog & to "make her walk slowly" which i find absolutely ridiculous if the pace does not suit the dog & i refused to do.

If you have a dog with a long stride & enthusiasm in the ring & unfortunately you are not a long legged exhibitor you will find yourself having to do a gentle trot to keep up with your dog.

Oh to be 6ft tall :teehee:

Seraphina said:
IMHO the question that should be asked is what is the natural movement of a Whippet.  Yes, it is a "running" breed, but it is a galloper not a trotter.  Some working breeds on the other hand were bred to move at fast trot for a long distance, but they would not be capable to gallop like a sighthound,  So why do we think that our dogs should trot like a GSD?  :unsure:
Because in my opinion for what it is worth you can't possibly see their reach and drive if they are'nt reaching and driving. I am quite aware of the fact that they are sprinters but unfortunately we can't sprint them around the ring nor would a judge be able to assess anything at that speed,but I also think that a dog out for a Sunday stroll in the ring is impossible to gauge movement in as it basically for want of another word is'nt moving enough,I tend to move my dogs at a slower pace "coming & going" and pick up the pace on the profile,but then I have dogs that all have good reach and long strides and look ridiculous if held back from their natural pace. I agree with what has been said above regarding what is best for the individual dog as not all dogs move at the same speed nor feel comfortable doing so either.

05whippet said:
Because in my opinion for what it is worth you can't possibly see their reach and drive if they are'nt reaching and driving.
:) Are you saying that the more they reach better Whippet they are?

I think that more important is nicely balanced dog moving in easy, graceful, flowing strides. While the tall slim people moving their hound at great speed look impressive, I think it is a form of exaggeration, and the standard says NO to that :)

:( Most of the time the ring is too small to show a whippet properly reaching out.

So we end up with pinched little movements and short strides. :eek:

If there's room I like to 'get on', whether it's a controlled trot or a fast walk on my part and the dog using its whole body.. but then in my opinion a whippet looks better reaching out in its stride than mincing from elbow.

My OH and a friend who both sometimes handle my dogs, are both six feet tall so they use a good walking stride. I hate to see whippets moved too slowly - they look so stilted.

p.s. I make it a point to use the whole ring/mat - if you cut off the corner you reduce the time the judge is looking at your dog and lessen the chance of him thinking how fabulous your dog is :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I also think knowing your own dogs' best pace is essential so good handling is vital!

zilloot said:
:( Most of the time the ring is too small to show a whippet properly reaching out.
So we end up with pinched little movements and short strides. :eek:

If there's room I like to 'get on', whether it's a controlled trot or a fast walk on my part and the dog using its whole body.. but then in my opinion a whippet looks better reaching out in its stride than mincing from elbow.

My OH and a friend who both sometimes handle my dogs, are both six feet tall so they use a good walking stride.  I hate to see whippets moved too slowly - they look so stilted.

p.s. I make it a point to use the whole ring/mat - if you cut off the corner you reduce the time the judge is looking at your dog and lessen the chance of him thinking how fabulous your dog is :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

I also think knowing your own dogs' best pace is essential so good handling is vital!

I completely agree with this! Well said!! :thumbsup:

Seraphina said:
05whippet said:
Because in my opinion for what it is worth you can't possibly see their reach and drive if they are'nt reaching and driving.

:) Are you saying that the more they reach better Whippet they are?

I think that more important is nicely balanced dog moving in easy, graceful, flowing strides. While the tall slim people moving their hound at great speed look impressive, I think it is a form of exaggeration, and the standard says NO to that :)

No I am not saying that,what I am saying is.........that I think it depends on the individual and just how important good movement is to you and I am afraid that I am a stickler for it (I think this is from breeding Thorough-Breds and showing horses as it is penultimate there) With all due respect you could have the nicest,most balanced Whippet in the world but if it don't reach & don't drive then in my books it has not got the correct movement that I am looking for. A correct moving Whippet with good front reach & strong drive behind should flow around a ring perfectly.

As our breed standard states :Movement/Gait "should possess great freedom of action.In profile should move with a long,easy stride whilst holding topline.Forelegs should be thrown forward & low over the ground" Which says to me they should move with good reach! "Hindlegs should come well under the body giving greater propelling power.General movement not to look stilted,high stepping,short or mincing.True coming & going" Which I define as good, strong rear drive!

To imply that if you are tall & slim & able to match your dogs stride in the ring whilst moving,then you are guilty of causing over exaggeration is just too absurd for words.Incidently I am 5ft nothing!! :lol:

05whippet said:
[ Whippet in the world but if it don't reach & don't drive then in my books it has not got the correct movement that I am looking for. A correct moving Whippet with good front reach & strong drive behind should flow around a ring perfectly.
Yes, but it is all relative. And as with everything more is not necessarily better. I am not suggesting that we should walk in the ring, I am just wondering what is too fast, but then again I believe that here in OZ we move our dogs lot faster than you do in UK. :)

I am 5'7" and was once slim with long legs :- " , but that is not the point. And i do have a bitch who has a great reach and drive, she stood out from the moment she tumbled out of the nest, trotting around the house with head held high, looking as if she is floating inch above the ground. And now, with her litter 3 weeks old and having teats full with milk, she is still reaching and driving and floating :) . She looks good trotting fast or slow. My other bitch will not trot fast naturally, she walks, may do few slow trot steps, and then starts to canter and gallop. She has to be forced to trot. :b

I also go faster around the ring, and slow down coming and going.

Seraphina said:
05whippet said:
[ Whippet in the world but if it don't reach & don't drive then in my books it has not got the correct movement that I am looking for. A correct moving Whippet with good front reach & strong drive behind should flow around a ring perfectly.
Yes, but it is all relative. And as with everything more is not necessarily better. I am not suggesting that we should walk in the ring, I am just wondering what is too fast, but then again I believe that here in OZ we move our dogs lot faster than you do in UK. :)

I am 5'7" and was once slim with long legs :- " , but that is not the point. And i do have a bitch who has a great reach and drive, she stood out from the moment she tumbled out of the nest, trotting around the house with head held high, looking as if she is floating inch above the ground. And now, with her litter 3 weeks old and having teats full with milk, she is still reaching and driving and floating :) . She looks good trotting fast or slow. My other bitch will not trot fast naturally, she walks, may do few slow trot steps, and then starts to canter and gallop. She has to be forced to trot. :b

I also go faster around the ring, and slow down coming and going.

I agree with you that more is not necessarily better,I can only say what it is that I prefer,I would not want to see a Whippet being trailed around the ring at a pace with which it is obviously not comfortable but it does cut both ways,I would not like like see a Whippet that is being held up and therefore looks to have mincy steps when in fact maybe the very opposite is true and if the dog was allowed to move at it's own pace you could see that.I suppose it is of personal taste and we could keep going around in circles discussing this forever and never come to a mutual agreement.As to the original question of the poster...what is the best pace for assessing movement? I guess the answer is whatever best suits both you and your dog,For me it is at a run as I too have dogs that have great reach and drive and I need to run to match their pace,but as mentioned I am not tall,so I would most likely need to run to keep up with most breeds!! :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The trot is the ideal gait at which any show dog is assessed for its movement. The standards are written for the trot - regardless of what the dog is bred to do - gallop or sit on someone's lap. Pekingese are still expected to move at a trot in the ring. Even though they are moving more slowly than a whippet they are still trotting - not walking or pacing or cantering or galloping.

So in answer to the original question - your dog should be trotting - whether it's a slow trot or a fast trot is up to you - and whether you are walking quickly or running depends on whether you think your dog looks best at a fast or slow trot.

I personally like to see whippets use their full extension and that means a fairly fast trot for most of them (not so fast that they want to break into a gallop at every step), and a medium paced run for me. In my opinion, at a slow trot the whippet is not showing the full extent of the reach and drive he is capable of.

In my case it depends really much of the whippet which I'm showing. But with my own Vimma I usually run slowly when I'm showing her side movements but with front & rear movements I walk. :) And the strap goes behind her ear and not between the ears.. :)

Agree with you Lana - you need to actually know your dog & know what is best.

I am not a fan of blasting around the ring at 90 miles to the hour, it is does not mean that your dog can "move out" well - infact, often it makes them throw themselves completely out of balance - you can make a beautiful animal with lovely movement present the complete opposite picture if they have to bolt around the ring at an uncomfortable speed.

A dog I bred has a stunning side gait & is sound as a bell out n back but has his "own pace" - I refused to "keep up" with my competitors & would only run him to suit himself - now he is a very - dare I say it - "plain boring brindle" who once you saw move - you were totally drawn to him and titled easily against his "prettier fawn & whites' and has gone on to many lovely noteable wins.

On the other hand, if you tottle around the ring, you are not giving the dog the best benefit either - for them to extend fore & aft, you need to have a reasonable trot.

A great tip - get a friend to video you. Go brisk, fast, slow etc... & see what is best for that particular animal - experience will eventually kick in & you will be able to "feel" what is best on the end of the lead. Even get someone to do the running for you so you can assess the difference of what is presented when they go slow, medium & fast

Good luck

Plus... what is wrong with being tall n slim - I am only 5' 9" (w00t) & and adjust my speed to my dogs - yikes - you should see me bolt around the ring with the english pointers :blink: now that is what I call exaggerated (w00t) (w00t) :D :lol:

shenace said:
A great tip - get a friend to video you.  Go brisk, fast, slow etc... & see what is best for that particular animal - experience will eventually kick in & you will be able to "feel" what is best on the end of the lead.  Even get someone to do the running for you so you can assess the difference of what is presented when they go slow, medium & fast

:thumbsup: That's a brilliant tip. I've watched myself move my dogs (years ago) and learned a lot about the correct speed for their best gait. I also used to lean over towards the dog and don't do that now.

I met a 'very important handler ;) ' from Australia at Crufts in 05 and he gave me some tips on handling. He 'ran' with my girl and she looked amazing fully reaching into her gait.

But here in Scotland, at open shows, the rings are always far too small for that :angry: and the Ch showrings are not always better :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back