The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How Does It Work ....

aslan

a totally addicted
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What is the generally accepted practice with stud dogs in your country?

In Australia the stud dog will have a set fee - depending on a number of things; his winnings, his previous progeny & their winnings, his pedigree (perhaps he is imported) or how exclusive the owner wants his stud services to be (very high fee makes him unattainable to the masses). It is not dependent upon how many pups he produces in that litter.

An average stud fee for a dog that is already proven to be able to produce, and who has won some good awards might be $500 - $600. A first time stud can often be a fair bit cheaper - (a) because the dog is not yet proven and (b) as a thank you to the bitch owner for choosing him and giving him the opportunity to get first progeny in the ring.

The bitch usually comes to the dog and the bitch's owner must pay for all necessary travel and accommodation that is therefore incurred.

The stud fee is paid upon a successful mating and the papers are signed. If the bitch doesn't produce pups the stud dog's owner would (usually) offer a free return.

Some stud dog owners demand that the bitch is swabbed before mating.

In Sweden I believe the stud fee is dependent on how many pups the dog produces and stud fee is paid per pup.

Hi Lana

Things are pretty much the same here as you describe, stud fees vary from dog to dog.

I nearly choked when you said fees in Oz were $400 - $600 (w00t) But then did the conversion and thats roughly £200-£250.

Some people take a pup from the litter rather than a stud fee. Pups are usually sold for a Higher price than a stud fee, but again that varies from Kennel to Kennel.

Claire said:
I nearly choked when you said fees in Oz were $400 - $600  (w00t) But then did the conversion and thats roughly £200-£250. 
So is 200-250 fairly normal for there?  Some dogs here are upward of $1000AUD  and some pups too.  1000 AUD = 410.18 GBP  $1000 for a stud fee is expensive - also expensive for a pup.  Average price for a pup here in Qld $400 - $600 but seem to be dearer in the southern states, especially from high profile kennels.

Some people take a pup from the litter rather than a stud fee.

Same here.

Hi Lana

I would say £200-250 is about average, there are some dogs who are more expensive The sky is the limit i suppose -

Well pups - Again the sky is the limit - But would be Not be surprised to pay at least £400 for a pup if not more depending on the breeding.

I always swab my bitch to make sure she does not have an infection. if she does it is easily treatable with antibiotic. Infection can lead to the bitch not getting pregnant or have stillborn pups. The stud dog can also pass the infection to other bitches.

Number of pups depends on number of eggs the bitch produces, NOTon the sperm count of the dog. If dog is subfertile the bitch is not likely to concieve at all.

Lida

And an infected bitch can pass on an infection which can render a stud dog infertile.

I don't know if this is normal but I have heard of someone who is asking £350+ for an unproven dog and is not going to allow the pups to be registered unless the breeder endorses all the puppies so they can't be bred from.

Can someone let me know if this is standard practice as I have no idea. :thumbsup:

Firebird said:
I don't know if this is normal but I have heard of someone who is asking £350+ for an unproven dog and is not going to allow the pups to be registered unless the breeder endorses all the puppies so they can't be bred from.
Can someone let me know if this is standard practice as I have no idea. :thumbsup:

Can't say that I have heard of it myself!!

As the breeder can lift endorsements at any time they can say that they will endorse them and lift them as soon as they get the registrations back.

Why would the stud dog owner want to do this anyway and how can they ensure that the breeder will endorse the litter?

When owner of a stud dog accepts a stud fee(or a puppy in lieu) he sells the dogs genetic material to the breder of the litter. The breeder of the litter who has all the expense and hard work of rearing the pups should be the one to decide which ones he/she wants to be shown. After all they will bear his/hers prefix. Inexperienced breeder, if he/she has any sense at all, will seek an advice of other experienced breeders anyway. I even now, after a life time of breeding dogs, appreciate other's opinion.

Of-course, the stud dog owner can refuse to allow his dog serve an inferior bitch, or a bitch owned by somedy with whos practices he does not agree.

Lida

Beerhound said:
Firebird said:

Can't say that I have heard of it myself!!

As the breeder can lift endorsements at any time they can say that they will endorse them and lift them as soon as they get the registrations back.

Why would the stud dog owner want to do this anyway and how can they ensure that the breeder will endorse the litter?

I think that the stud dog owner is going to with hold the registration form until the breeder agrees, no idea why though.

If the breeder can lift endorsemenats then surely they can just say that they will endorse the litter, register the pups and then lift all endorsements.

Has anyone else heard of this?

I've never bred dogs, but from what I've been told, stud fees here in Norway are usually the same as the going price of a puppy, i.e. the equivalent to approx. £650-850. If there are just one or two pups in the litter, the bitch owner is usually offered a partial refund or a repeat mating.

I don't think the show records of the stud or his offspring usually affect the stud fee. I think the situation is more or less the same in Sweden.

Also, I don't think it is common at all to sell puppies without breeding rights here in Norway, and I don't think I've ever heard of any breeders that have refused their puppy buyers to show even mediocre dogs. I guess there is a slight cultural difference here - at least up until now, showing has very much been a family pastime and amateur sport in Norway.

Tesa said:
aslan said:
Some stud dog owners demand that the bitch is swabbed before mating.

Can I show my ignorance on this subject Lana and ask why the swab?

Sorry I didn't answer you straight away Karen - I haven't been back to this thread for a while. But other helpful k9'ers have told you! :)

I'm glad I started this - interesting reading.

Here in France you can find some studs for 300 euros (200 pounds) but the top dogs will not be less than 500 euros to 700 euros (450-500 pounds).

I had Inca swabbed and then used an unproven dog on her.......The stud dog owner's had pick of the dog's (well apart from my Eric that is lol) and that was that ......but I see my Ben regularly and he has a fab home and that's good enough for me :))

Seraphina said:
Number of pups depends on number of eggs the bitch produces, NOTon the sperm count of the dog.  If dog is subfertile the bitch is not likely to concieve at all.

bardmand said:
If there are just one or two pups in the litter, the bitch owner is usually offered a partial refund or a repeat mating.

Am curious, if the number of pups produced depends on the bitch and not the dogs, then why should the dog owner have to offer a partial refund????

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you pay a stud fee to get a litter. One or two pups are not considered a litter (except in chihuahua), so the owner of the stud dog let you have another try.

Lida

Last edited by a moderator:
Firebird said:

Thats a new one to me :eek: Sounds to me as though he dosnt want the person to use his dog and hasnt got the bottle to say `no ` .

Personally unless the dog in question was SO magnificent then Id go elswhere. £350.00 ( in my opinion ) is FAR too expensive for an unproven dog ( unless its won BOB at Crufts :lol: )

Thats a new one to me :eek: Sounds to me as though he dosnt want the person to use his dog and hasnt got the bottle to say `no ` .

Personally unless the dog in question was SO magnificent then Id go elswhere. £350.00 ( in my opinion ) is FAR too expensive for an unproven dog ( unless its won BOB at Crufts :lol: )

I always thought it was usual not to charge for a dog's first stud - the bitch's owner is taking a risk using an unproven dog. They don't know a) whether he is fertile or b) what he is likely to produce!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back