The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hunting Rabbits

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i think that is where the problem lies.....i do not know what the answer is either....i think a lot of things.....i was a vegetarian for 17 yrs a vegan for 3ys.....now i eat organic british local meat (without eyes or anything that makes it look like an animal or i would be sick! )...what does that say about me?....hypocrite!....yes!....confused!.... yes!.....eating a rabbit that you caught yourself seems to be the most sensible organic fresh natural thing in the world to do ...but i couldnt do it... so i carry on eating my plastic wrapped food and rescue pet rabbits in my suburban garden....i do not think i could understand myself if i tried.....i know i love animals but that does not always mean rescuing furry animals and being vegetarian!.....i think it can mean being a gamekeeper too?....all i am saying is to learn we have to listen to everyone and then decide our own lifestyle but at the same time respect other peoples ideas....i think mally is probably sick of the hassle he gets off the government and off people who know nothing about what he does and do not want to listen either....i used to get abuse for being vegetarian from people who just wanted to argue...so its the same in reverse....i actually agree with a lot of stuff he says....and you too so my post wasnt aimed at you ja jumper....just to say basically...THANK GOD FOR DIFFERENCE! :D (and no i am not religious either! :p )

p.s sorry mally....im sure you do not need me to answer for you...you were just a good example :p :oops:

ja jumper said:
ja jumper said:
mally said:
ja jumper said:
hopefully its totally banned i dont see any pleasure in ripping an animal apart .
The dogs don't rip the rabbit s apart you inberseal go back to the city where you belong.

i do live in the country i have many horses dogs and other anmals just because i have my view which is different to your does not mean i live in the city d*** a*** you have your views and i have mine

AND YES LOTS OF THE RABBITS DO GET RIPPED APART

One of ours had his first kill.... he is nearly 3 years old it was a rabbit and by the time my OH got to the dog, he had consumed the front legs and most of it's chest... but he was in the process of eating his kill!

One of the others, has nearly had seagulls... ducks... Has caught squirrels and many rabbits all without prompting after all they are killing machines... and would rather eat real food, and not out of a tin!

We can only tame these wild animals so far!

take a dog to an area where there are rabbits ect and without any encouragment they will chase and eventualy kill.

all dogs working or pet still have their inbuilt instinct to hunt.

Reading with interest comments by JA JUMPER. I coursed hares with whippets under rules for 4 seasons. Not once did I see a hare ripped to pieces. If I had then maybe I would not have continued. I have of course seen hares , rabbits and pheasants limping having been pricked with shot to die presumably a slow death . Give me the dogs any time. I think we must differentiate between a view and objective factual comment when discussing such an emotive topic. JA's views may be just opinions or third hand reports with embellisments. I don't know?? What I relate in this context is fact pure and simple. Ripped to pieces is a phrase sometimes heard and nearly always, in my experience, tripped out by those with an anti disposition and a mind closed to reality.

LAMPY

Dont know if it would be any use to you ja jumper but currently on page 5 in this section there is a topic started by Mike from Hereford "Hunting rabbits with dogs your views..." might be worth a look to save covering old ground? Not being facetious...just thought you may be interested :thumbsup:

lamping man said:
Reading with interest comments by JA JUMPER. I coursed hares with whippets under rules for 4 seasons. Not once did I see a hare ripped to pieces. If I had then maybe I would not have continued. I have of course seen hares , rabbits and pheasants limping having been pricked with shot to die presumably a slow death . Give me the dogs any time. I think we must differentiate between a view and objective factual comment when discussing such an emotive topic. JA's views may be just opinions or third hand reports with embellisments. I don't know?? What I relate in this context is fact pure and simple. Ripped to pieces is a phrase sometimes heard and nearly always, in my experience, tripped out by those with an anti disposition and a mind closed to reality.
LAMPY

i have seen with my own eyesAND have videoed and YES they were ripped to pieces i cant go into more detail for other reasons ,and rest assured my mind is not closed to reality as you say

ja jumper said:
mally said:
ja jumper said:
hopefully its totally banned i dont see any pleasure in ripping an animal apart .
The dogs don't rip the rabbit s apart you inberseal go back to the city where you belong.

i do live in the country i have many horses dogs and other anmals just because i have my view which is different to your does not mean i live in the city d*** a*** you have your views and i have mine

I know nothing about horses and it's obvous you know nothing about working dogs so lets leave it there. Next time i'd think twice about looking at a forum if you think it may offend you, all the best mally !!!! :- "

ja jumper said:
lamping man said:
LAMPY

i have seen with my own eyesAND have videoed and YES they were ripped to pieces i cant go into more detail for other reasons ,and rest assured my mind is not closed to reality as you say

It has all become very clear ja jumper, videos', more details etc, you are an anti

and as this is a working dog forum entitled "coursing" what are you doing here if not to provoke a fight? you are not welcome on here by me and I am sure by many others.

I am very tolerant to others views and beliefs and like a good debate about interesting subjects, you are however very misinformed and sadly lacking in experience or knowledge in this subject to converse with futher!

Do us all a favour and poke off.

Not one " ripped to pieces" no video, no pictures, just simply the truth.

LasVegasNo1 said:
Pennymeadow Whippets said:
The law would say you took rabbits without permission to do so & you could be fined You neen writen permission from the land owner to take rabbits or you will be breaking the law
I assume it would be impossible to get permission from the council to hunt rabbits in the park? :b lol not that I want it ;)

I do quite alot of rabbit control for the local council on a nature reserve of all places. They found that if they left the rabbit population unchecked then the other wildlife suffered through lack of habitat. In the last three years since i've been controlling them the wildlife has become alot more diverse and new species like roe deer, now visit. This attracts more human visitors and everyones happy.

You don't get anywhere in life if you don't ask!!

lamping man said:
LAMPY

Hi lampy We've had a shoot today and i couldn't put my hand on my heart and say that there isn't a wounded (pricked) bird left, i'll have a walk around tomorrow as always just to see.

The best thing about hunting with dogs is it's either a clean miss or a clean kill no chance of wounding at all. People don't understand that. I've been shooting since i was eight years old and i consider myself an above average shot, however i don't get a clean kill with every shot nobody does who shoots.

Hunting is always a contoversial subject on here, however Ja Jumper is a member of K9 and is entitled to air her views as much as anyone else,the fact that they go against some other peoples does not mean she should be told to leave, this is the very reason this subject always ends up in a fight.

I understand that people who want to hunt stand up for that but you can't do it productively by knocking down those who don't :thumbsup:

*Lesley* said:
Hunting is always a contoversial subject on here, however Ja Jumper is a member of K9 and is entitled to air her views as much as anyone else,the fact that they go against some other peoples does not mean she should be told to leave, this is the very reason this subject always ends up in a fight.
I understand that people who want to hunt stand up for that but you can't do it productively by knocking down those who don't  :thumbsup:

i agree with you lesley but to say that all hunted rabbits get ripped apart is a joke. If any of my dogs ever ripped a rabbit apart or even contemplated eating a rabbit it had caught, i would give it the biggest bo***cking. I train my dogs to retrieve live to hand, admittingly jess is a little hard mouthed now due to all the foxes she's taken (before the ban may i add). But she still retrieves and the rabbits are fit for human consumption.

I also have alot of respect for my quarry wether it's a rabbit or a deer and i believe in not letting any animal suffer. Anyone who's hunted with me will tell you i have total respect for my quarry and my dogs. I think i speak for many on here hunting is in the blood you've either got it or you haven't and i wouldn't change my way of life for the world. I may not be rich but i'm happy and that is worth more to me than any amount of money. :thumbsup:

I understand that people who want to hunt stand up for that but you can't do it productively by knocking down those who don't

lesley its ja whose name calling.. and hijacking a perfectly straight forward thread.

we all have our views and clearly very few people will change there mind (sadly) so while ja can have as many threads as is deemed appropriate about tying ribbons in puppy dogs hair, she has absolutely no place wading into threads to which she can make no positive contribution.

sorry, but i am sick of everyone cow-towing to the anti's just for a quiet life. longdogs and lurchers catch rabbits. its a fact, its what they have been bred for and in most cases its the best(most humane) way to do an essential job

fordkaz3412@aol.com said:
i think that is where the problem lies.....i do not know what the answer is either....i think a lot of things.....i was a vegetarian for 17 yrs a vegan for 3ys.....now i  eat organic british local meat (without eyes or anything that makes it look like an animal or i would be sick! )...what does that say about me?....hypocrite!....yes!....confused!.... yes!.....eating a rabbit that you caught yourself seems to be the most sensible organic fresh natural thing in the world to do ...but i couldnt do it... so i carry on eating my plastic wrapped food and rescue pet rabbits in my suburban garden....i do not think i could understand myself if i tried.....i know i love animals but that does not always mean rescuing furry animals and being vegetarian!.....i think it can mean being a gamekeeper too?....all i am saying is to learn we have to listen to everyone and then decide our own lifestyle but at the same time respect other peoples ideas....i think mally is probably sick of the hassle he gets off the government and off people who know nothing about what he does and do not want to listen either....i used to get abuse for being vegetarian from people who just wanted to argue...so its the same in reverse....i actually agree with a lot of stuff he says....and you too so my post wasnt aimed at you ja jumper....just to say basically...THANK GOD FOR DIFFERENCE! :D (and no i am not religious either! :p )p.s sorry mally....im sure you do not need me to answer for you...you were just a good example :p :oops:

thanks kaz

because i'm a gamekeeper some people think i'm cruel and hate animals. They couldn't be any further from the truth.As you know i love my job and all wildlife admittingly i have to control certain species throughout the year.

However i still get a buzz when i see the kingfishers along the streams and the roe deer in the morning mist. I respect peoples opinions, if they have do something that i don't understand i'll try to find out more before i'd express my opinion.

There is too many people trying to tell us countrysport folk what to do and how to do it. My opinion is leave us alone and we'll leave them alone. I was at all the rallyes in london for what good it's done us, however i know that i was there and i was counted.

Thankyou again kaz i respect your views and welcome them.

:cheers:

have to say mally i love your signiture!

SAVE A COW........... EAT A VEGETERIAN :p (although im sure its not pc?! :- " )

fordkaz3412@aol.com said:
:cheers:
have to say mally i love your signiture! 

SAVE A COW........... EAT A VEGETERIAN  :p (although im sure its not pc?! :- " )

as i sad every one has their views that was my own view i wont be told to p*** off just because you dont like my view ,i have a much right to my view as you have your s zara ja jumper and yes your right not pc something far more important than that

This is a hunting/lure coursing forum, Anti's coming on just to cause trouble will not be tolerated.

if you want a healthy debate fair enough if you just come on to cause trouble your post WILL be deleted

Unfortunatly (as Lampingman has pointed out) your post seem to be taken from the blinkerd rubbish the many Anti groups put out to fool the nieve public into beleiving hunting is cruel.

i've worked dogs since the age of 11 and very rarely have I seen a dog actualy rip a rabbit/hare to peices the 1's that did were badly trained most dogs are a pleasure to watch work, I give you that Foxes are ripped apart by fox hounds but thats not being descussed on this thread.

chillitt said:
I understand that people who want to hunt stand up for that but you can't do it productively by knocking down those who don't 
lesley its ja whose name calling.. and hijacking a perfectly straight forward thread.

we all have our views and clearly very few people will change there mind (sadly) so while ja can have as many threads as is deemed appropriate about tying ribbons in puppy dogs hair, she has absolutely no place wading into threads to which she can make no positive contribution.

sorry, but i am sick of everyone cow-towing to the anti's just for a quiet life. longdogs and lurchers catch rabbits. its a fact, its what they have been bred for and in most cases its the best(most humane) way to do an essential job

I am in no way anti hunt and wouldn't defend anyone for a quiet life, however if you think someone is hijacking a thread by name calling ect why rise to it and keep it going we all have views, strong ones at that but by getting in to an argument about them doesn't doesn't do justice for either party, thats what I was trying to say :thumbsup:

As I said hunting will always be a controversial issue I don't think anything will change that

Happy hunting to those who do and respect of your decision to those who don't :thumbsup:

[SIZE=14pt]Excuse me but this was MY topic and the title is clear, and as it was posted in a forum about coursing it was probably going to be about that!![/SIZE]

I do not need people coming on here and going into the rights and wrongs of hunting, i simply asked what the law says....

If you want a debate about hunting start your own post!!!!!!!!

Thank you to those who answered my question, although i am still not to sure very confusing

If you have any constructive advice or info post away if not, please leave this topic alone.....

thanks

Kim and Tilly

Kim and Tilly said:
[SIZE=14pt]Excuse me but this was MY topic and the title is clear, and as it was posted in a forum about coursing it was probably going to be about that!![/SIZE] 

I do not need people coming on here and going into the rights and wrongs of hunting, i simply asked what the law says....

If you want a debate about hunting start your own post!!!!!!!!

Thank you to those who answered my question, although i am still not to sure very confusing

If you have any constructive advice or info post away if not, please leave this topic alone.....

thanks

Kim and Tilly

[SIZE=14pt]one thing always leads to another[/SIZE]

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back