The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hunting With Dogs - For Or Against?

Are you pro or anti hunting with dogs?

• Are you anti hunting with dogs and don`t belong to a recognised racing or coursing club?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you pro hunting with dogs and don`t belong to a recognised racing or coursing club??

• Are you anti hunting with dogs and belong to a recognised racing or coursing club?

• Are you pro hunting with dogs and belong to a recognised racing or coursing club??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
G0NZ0 said:
Hula said:
I have 3 whippets and a lurcher . they are all healthy happy pets . I am totally against any form of hunting whether it be fox or rabbit or anything else . I often wonder what sort of pleasure people get from killing beautiful wildlife . I do not consider them to be pests they are our native British wildlife and we should be proud of them . I don't really expect anyone to agree with me for fear of being ridiculed but like everyone else here I am entitled to my opinion

I'm intrigued. Do you eat meat? If you are a vegetarian then I have no problem with your attitude.

I do however have a problem with meat eaters who are against hunting or can not kill an animal themselves. I took the decision many years ago that if I'm not prepared to kill an animal then I should not eat meat. I don't enjoy killing animals but I enjoy meat so I force myself to kill rabbits and pigeons for my pot and to salve my conscience. In my mind anything else would be hypocritical.

I also much to prefer to eat meat that I've killed myself because I believe the animal has suffered far less than in most commercial meat farming, particularly chickens, who on the whole have short and miserable lives.

By the way with regards to your comment about wildlife - are you aware that rabbits were introduced into Britain by the Romans as a meat providing animal? Therefore they are no different to any other livestock you see in our countryside.

Yes I have been a vegetarian for years and I do think farmed animals have a worse life than widlife .

As for rabbits if they have been here since the Roman era I think they can call themselves British by now :D

Hula said:
G0NZ0 said:
Hula said:
I have 3 whippets and a lurcher . they are all healthy happy pets . I am totally against any form of hunting whether it be fox or rabbit or anything else . I often wonder what sort of pleasure people get from killing beautiful wildlife . I do not consider them to be pests they are our native British wildlife and we should be proud of them . I don't really expect anyone to agree with me for fear of being ridiculed but like everyone else here I am entitled to my opinion

I'm intrigued. Do you eat meat? If you are a vegetarian then I have no problem with your attitude.

I do however have a problem with meat eaters who are against hunting or can not kill an animal themselves. I took the decision many years ago that if I'm not prepared to kill an animal then I should not eat meat. I don't enjoy killing animals but I enjoy meat so I force myself to kill rabbits and pigeons for my pot and to salve my conscience. In my mind anything else would be hypocritical.

I also much to prefer to eat meat that I've killed myself because I believe the animal has suffered far less than in most commercial meat farming, particularly chickens, who on the whole have short and miserable lives.

By the way with regards to your comment about wildlife - are you aware that rabbits were introduced into Britain by the Romans as a meat providing animal? Therefore they are no different to any other livestock you see in our countryside.

Yes I have been a vegetarian for years and I do think farmed animals have a worse life than widlife .

As for rabbits if they have been here since the Roman era I think they can call themselves British by now :D

If your a vegetarian then your stance is fine by me - as I said before I only have problems with meat eaters who are not prepared to kill an animal themselves but are happy for someone else to do it for them!

As for rabbits my point was that they were introduced into Britain as a source of commercial meat therefore they are no different from sheep or chickens. The fact that the blighters escaped the Roman Bunny Farms is irrelevant...

I am 100% behind hunting,that is why i got the lurcher,I also own a 177 air rifle,now proud owner of 2 working ferrets.My son Danny works and rides at local stables,he would love the chance to go fox hunting but at the moment cant due to the ban,to him the tradition and history has died.My family were all great poachers,even being a girl i saw nothing wrong on going salmon poaching,snaring rabbits,poaching Grouse and pheasants.We lived in a minning village in Ayrshire,and the poaching was passed down from generation to generation,lol not usualy to the daughters,but what the heck its a tale to tell the grandchildren.How many folk out there if there was rashining again could put food on their tables for their families.If you had your children crying cos they were hungry would you still refuse to take your dogs out and hunt.I am not a member of a club yet,oh by the way i am having my tea at the moment a nice bit of fish caught fresh this morning.Bring back hunting and soon.

I was out hunting at an early age not drinking cider and smashing up bus shelters.

i learnt repect for the countryside not dumping rubbish and burning cars out in a farmers field.

my lad knows its wrong and loves to be out and about hunting and he knows were rabbits come from when he eats them

jane bone said:
I am 100% behind hunting,that is why i got the lurcher,I also own a 177 air rifle,now proud owner of 2 working ferrets.My son Danny works and rides at local stables,he would love the chance to go fox hunting but at the moment cant due to the ban,to him the tradition and history has died.My family were all great poachers,even being a girl i saw nothing wrong on going salmon poaching,snaring rabbits,poaching Grouse and pheasants.We lived in a minning village in Ayrshire,and the poaching was passed down from generation to generation,lol not usualy to the daughters,but what the heck its a tale to tell the grandchildren.How many folk out there if there was rashining again could put food on their tables for their families.If you had your children crying cos they were hungry would you still refuse to take your dogs out and hunt.I am not a member of a club yet,oh by the way i am having my tea at the moment a nice bit of fish caught fresh this morning.Bring back hunting and soon.
Jane you sound like your from the real world where bunny huggers would have had to eat rabbits/game/fish or starve :thumbsup: no playstations in that world either the kids all knew how to hunt & fish :thumbsup:

[SIZE=14pt]I have hunted and coursed with my lurchers, i was a member of the east of england coursing club, even though we had competitions, we were there to keep the hare numbers down, where we coursed was on crop fields and the hare's used to devestate the crops, we didn't mindless kill as some of you might think, i can't understand why people own sighthounds or lurchers an wrap them in cotton wool, they were bred to hunt, and no amount of fluffy jumpers will keep their natural instinct at bay, everyone is entitled to their oppion, fairs fair but don't condone people who use their dogs for hunting its a way of life i'm affraid, my grandad had a border collie just after the war, he used the dog to put fresh meat on the table as you know meat was hard to come by, i'd rather someone catch their own meat than get it from mass produced farms where they are only bred for meat and live in the most horiffic conditions.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if you look at the first post in this thead opinions were asked for . I have not said a word about anyone I have voiced my opinion on the subject .

I keep whippets and a lurcher because I like them . Do you think all the people with gundogs who don't shoot shouldn't have them or the people with terriers who don't work them shouldn't have them or the people with collies who don't have sheep to herd shouldn't have them ?

I am not a "Bunny Hugger " in fact I don't even like them but I still wouldn't want to kill them !

Debbie b said:
[SIZE=14pt]I have hunted and coursed with my lurchers, i was a member of the east of england coursing club, even though we had competitions, we were there to keep the hare numbers down, where we coursed was on crop fields and the hare's used to devestate the crops, we didn't mindless kill as some of you might think, i can't understand why people own sighthounds or lurchers an wrap them in cotton wool, they were bred to hunt, and no amount of fluffy jumpers will keep their natural instinct at bay, everyone is entitled to their oppion, fairs fair but don't condone people who use their dogs for hunting its a way of life i'm affraid, my grandad had a border collie just after the war, he used the dog to put fresh meat on the table as you know meat was hard to come by, i'd rather someone catch their own meat than get it from mass produced farms where they are only bred for meat and live in the most horiffic conditions.[/SIZE]
I am pro hare coursing but lets not kid ourselves or others that rules coursing in any way can be seen as pest control, maybe the infirm or weak are killed by the dogs but rarely a fit hare will be pulled down.

Giving the hare fair law,running the dogs in pairs and judging the merits of each course can neither be seen to be pest control and expecting the non coursing public to think any other is never going to happen.

like ARRIAN laid down in AD116

The true sportsmen does not take out his dogs to destroy the hares,

but for the sake of the course and the contest between the dogs and the hares,

and is glad if the hare escapes..

His words seem just as relevant today.. :thumbsup:

Hula said:
I think if you look at the first post in this thead opinions were asked for . I have not said a word about anyone I have voiced my opinion on the subject .I keep whippets and a lurcher because I like them . Do you think all the people with gundogs who don't shoot shouldn't have them or the people with terriers who don't work them shouldn't have them or the people with collies who don't have sheep to herd shouldn't have them ?

I am not a "Bunny Hugger " in fact I don't even like them but I still wouldn't want to kill them !

I didnt attack you personally, as like you i'm voicing my appinion as well, if everyone one had the same appinion we wouldn't be on this thread, i sorry if i caused offence to you was not my intention, but let me say this, how many people do you know with working breeds, that should not own them as i know loads they have not got a clue about them

sparky said:
Debbie b said:
I am pro hare coursing but lets not kid ourselves or others that rules coursing in any way can be seen as pest control, maybe the infirm or weak are killed by the dogs but rarely a fit hare will be pulled down.

Giving the hare fair law,running the dogs in pairs and judging the merits of each course can neither be seen to be pest control and expecting the non coursing public to think any other is never going to happen.

[SIZE=14pt]Totally agree with you we didn't just do competitions [/SIZE]

hares devastating crops tell me were im moving, lets not go down the same road as the fox hunters trying to appease the general public by harping on about pest control, its a competion a sport two dogs competing against the hare who given the correct law will always have the advantage.

sparky said:
Debbie b said:

Was that Arrian Attmore Tony??

sparky said:
Debbie b said:

Excellent post Sparky , what the antis don`t understand is that since coursing has been banned , the estates where hares were conserved for coursing now hold hare shoots and 100s are shot annually, no quarter given, a bloodbath. Nature`s finest athlete deserves better. Hunting for the pot is different , hares can be taken , they are never easy but with a good dog you can take the odd 1 or 2 here and there :D :D :D :D :D :cheers:

Arrian Atmore, he`ll probably like that one (w00t)

nigelmcfc said:
sparky said:
Debbie b said:

[SIZE=14pt]Perhaps i said the wrong thing about coursing hares as pest control, but the farmer whose land we used is now allowing shooters to kill as many as they can to clear them, and devastation was the wrong word to use as well, at the end of it no matter what you do the anti's will be around, until we change the goverment we can't do what our dogs were intended for[/SIZE]

Just wanted to make a couple of points on this thread. Firstly regarding show breeding ruining whippets – I think that's a bit of a generalisation, and I know of several show bred dogs who are capable in the field. I'd like to think that with careful breeding whippets should be able to succeed in the field and the ring.

My own dog is show bred, not that I've got any intention of showing him, but he's showing signs of becoming a good worker. He's certainly never happier than when he's in pursuit of quarry, relying on pure instinct, and it's a fantastic sight to see.

Secondly, I don't like the way the hunting ban seems to have become a clear-cut left/right issue. I think it's much more to do with common sense and understanding the countryside than your politics. Anyone who has any understanding of how the countryside works can see the ban is nonsense, irrespective of their political leanings.

I would consider myself to have slightly left-of-centre politics, but am a supporter of country sports. Having said that, this current government have badly alienated many traditional Labour voters because they no longer remotely stand for what we consider Labour values. I can't see that they have a hope of winning the next election, so let's hope the Tories keep their promise and allow a free vote.

Sonny Brindle said:
Just wanted to make a couple of points on this thread. Firstly regarding show breeding ruining whippets – I think that's a bit of a generalisation, and I know of several show bred dogs who are capable in the field. I'd like to think that with careful breeding whippets should be able to succeed in the field and the ring.

My own dog is show bred, not that I've got any intention of showing him, but he's showing signs of becoming a good worker. He's certainly never happier than when he's in pursuit of quarry, relying on pure instinct, and it's a fantastic sight to see.

This point i do agree with i have worked bitches with show CCs & they were as game as the best. :thumbsup:

I also agree with the hope the Tories do what they have promised.

Sonny Brindle said:

Secondly, I don't like the way the hunting ban seems to have become a clear-cut left/right issue. I think it's much more to do with common sense and understanding the countryside than your politics.  Anyone who has any understanding of how the countryside works can see the ban is nonsense, irrespective of their political leanings.

I would consider myself to have slightly left-of-centre politics, but am a supporter of country sports. Having said that, this current government have badly alienated many traditional Labour voters because they no longer remotely stand for what we consider Labour values. I can't see that they have a hope of winning the next election, so let's hope the Tories keep their promise and allow a free vote.

The architect of the hunting act Alun Michael admitted that the hunting act was all about`class warfare` and not animal welfare. It was `their revenge for what Thatcher had done to the miners`, what that has to do with hunting with dogs beats me , but that`s what you`re dealing with with the prats that call themselves a government . It can`t help but become a left/right issue because that`s what the truth is, if you`re an anti support labour , they will continue to legislate against country sports, if you believe that you should have the freedom to participate in traditional field sports- our heritage then vote for the Conservatives , it`s that black and white. It isn`t just about hunting though, like you say the labour party have alienated many of their traditional voters with their policies , so it`s looking promising that the Tories will form the next government . I don`t trust any politicians, but I get a feeling that the Tories will honour their commitment to hold a free vote, no one else is promising this , so we have to suport them and the CA if we want to restore coursing- as I see it it is very much about left v right :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back