The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

I Didn't Realise...

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
storm1 said:
ANY ONE WATCH CRUFTS THIS YEAR THEY HAD A LABRADOODLE ONTHESHOW AND WERE ON ABOUT TRYING TO REGISTER THE BREED

SO WILL IT BE A MONGREL THEN :cheers:

Dont agree with making the labradoodle and registered breed. It opens too many windows for people to start on the whole breeding of "designer" dogs. IMHO the kennel club would be opening a huge can of worms by making the labradoodle a registered breed.

Scottish Lind@ said:
Found something on another site that stated:"Lurcher specifically means a sighthound (greyhound, whippet, deerhound, wolfhound, etc.) crossed with a NON-sighthound, most commonly a collie or terrier; a mix of two or more sighthounds is a longdog".

Can someone in the know out there in K9-land tell me if this is correct please?

good morning.

I have owned and judged lurchers for over 30 years and a lurcher is a cross between and sight hound and another working breed although most pedigree working breed dogs dont work any more, there are now breeds of dog that have a working strain and a show strain Greyhounds for example. I have just bred a litter of Wherriers ) whippet x Fell Terrier and yes they are also Lurchers. Although I am Manor Whippets I am also North Norfolk Ferrets and work my dogs as part of my income. If you breed a litter of pups called them what ever you want and if someone does not agreed thats up to them. Phil Canham

Learned a new word last night - Furkid - a pet such as a dog or a cat that is treated like a child by its owner.

What would you get if you crossed a Brittany Spaniel with a New Guinea Singing Dog, anwers on a postcard please!

My kids keep telling their Granny she now has a Granddogter. :lol:

stormydog said:
OH FOR GODS SAKE WISE-UP....WHERRIER!!  :eek:   :eek:   JUST WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM??? :wacko:   THATS NEARLY AS BAD AS THE PERSON WHOS POODLE GOT SHAGGED BY THE GUY ROUND THE NEXT BLOCKS LABRADOR AND DECIDED TO CALL THE MONGRELS..LABRADOODLES IS IT NOT?  :oops:   ITS LURCHERS AND LONGDOGS....END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Labradoodle may be the worst hybrid name in history, but they were bred out of practicality... Labs are commonly used as guide dogs for the blind, but some blind folk suffer badly from dog hair allergies, so the poodle was added to the mix for their very low hair loss qualitys. As for the origin of the labradoodles name, maybe it was dreamt up by the same people who deliver some of our governments new "initiatives" :- "

streaky said:
Learned a new word last night - Furkid - a pet such as a dog or a cat that is treated like a child by its owner.
That's a new one on me, it's usually 'Fur Baby' ( :x ) Perhaps furkid is more appropriate (esp. if you say it fast :b )

J.T. said:
How about crossing a westie with a beardie,........ now that would really be a WEIRDIE (w00t)
that's funny! (as is the pointsetter -- a sensible cross as pointers and setters are similar types)

Do you know that cat fanciers have registered lots of new breeds in the past 30-50 years. Often they start with an accidental mutation (for instance dwarfism - which maybe is how dog breeds like Basset Hounds originated) and inbreed to retain the characteristics.

manor whippets said:
Scottish Lind@ said:
Found something on another site that stated:"Lurcher specifically means a sighthound (greyhound, whippet, deerhound, wolfhound, etc.) crossed with a NON-sighthound, most commonly a collie or terrier; a mix of two or more sighthounds is a longdog".

good morning.

I have owned and judged lurchers for over 30 years and a lurcher is a cross between and sight hound and another working breed although most pedigree working breed dogs dont work any more, there are now breeds of dog that have a working strain and a show strain Greyhounds for example. I have just bred a litter of Wherriers ) whippet x Fell Terrier and yes they are also Lurchers. Although I am Manor Whippets I am also North Norfolk Ferrets and work my dogs as part of my income. If you breed a litter of pups called them what ever you want and if someone does not agreed thats up to them. Phil Canham

I think Whirrier is the right spelling for the cross as a neighbour of mine had one about 15 years ago and it was a demon on ditch rabbits,exelent for ferreting and a lovely lookin wee thing.But imagin if the first breeder of this cross had've called it a Terripet,now that would have been a laugh.And by the way ,my kid brother has a Sprocker and she is great in cover or the top of the ground.I was just wondering what you would get if she was crossed with a Lurcher. somethin similar .A Sprocher.

billyboy45 said:
manor whippets said:
Scottish Lind@ said:

good morning.

I think Whirrier is the right spelling for the cross as a neighbour of mine had one about 15 years ago and it was a demon on ditch rabbits,exelent for ferreting and a lovely lookin wee thing.But imagin if the first breeder of this cross had've called it a Terripet,now that would have been a laugh.And by the way ,my kid brother has a Sprocker and she is great in cover or the top of the ground.I was just wondering what you would get if she was crossed with a Lurcher. somethin similar .A Sprocher.

BillyHarpur...N,IRELAND..

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back