The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ibs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Jesus,,why the fighting (w00t)

Both my dogs are doing well,,poo's not runny or have any blood in them. The poo's have been checked,,all fine there :thumbsup: ,,never knew chicken could have caused this as they have had chicken all their racing life's,,Robbie ia almost 10 and a racing champ,,he had chicken every day.

Ive cut back the chicken,,,cutting it all together in a few days. They eating the vet food,,im seeing the vet on Monday,,getting more of the vet food and think will try the Hills diet,,,move in tiny paces to the new food. Thanks for the pm's and advice :thumbsup:

PS,,I have tried chappie food a while back when Gizmo was ill,,they never even looked at it,,dry is the best way to go for my 2.

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Dry can damage their kidneys. Make sure they have plenty of water. My precious siamese cat had kidney problems because I fed her dry food.

Why do you think so many dogs have problems with sensitive digestive systems these days? Is it more common in pedigree dogs? Is it a genetic thing? Is it more common in certain breeds? Is it related to feeding manufactured dog food?
Yes I think it might. When you could only buy wholemeal mixers and tinned food didn't exist, you fed table scraps, scraps from the butcher. If you lived a knackers yard or abattoir and could get horse meat, tripes, udders and sheeps heads you had a good source of cheap meat.

Dogs are meat eaters anything else that comes their way. Mine pick up dead rabbits and eat them, they may be old and brittle, but they get eaten. My dogs have no digestive problems so I stick to meat and a good mixer. Plus the odd egg, sprats or sardines etc.

That is just my regime and my opinion okay?

Id never ever fed raw to my dogs until 2004 when I got Oscar, must admit Ive never looked back....

I honestly think my dogs have never been healthier and fitter than when on this diet.

They dont get raw...all of the time..they do get the odd cooked chicken or rabbit or leftovers too, but my lot cant get enough of thier diet

and they never ever turn their noses up at any food and lick the platters clean, and hardly suffer from the runs...except when they have had the odd

treat...ie pigs ears or chews...they seem to upset their tums sometimes.

I had lots of advice and read lots of information about the diet before feeding it...and must admit the diet was on the go long long ago before all these

manufactured foods came onto the market...simply to make lots of money for the manufacturers... :thumbsup:

I suppose people feed whatever suits their pockets or around their situations....but dont knock the BARF completely..it is worth reading up about...

What is BARF

BARF stands for Bones And Raw Food or Biologically Appropriate Raw Food, depending on which books you read. The basic principle is to feed a diet that the animals have evolved to eat, or to put it another way AS NATURE INTENDED.

Some people disagree with BARF, but the more information you gain the more it makes sense. It is advisable to do your own research in order to make up your own mind. People do not eat processed foods everyday of their lives. Why should our pets?

For thousands of years, dogs roamed the ancient world. They made their homes on the Savannahs of Africa, the plains of India and the forests of Europe, Asia and the Americas. Packs of dogs swirled through every type of terrain in every climate. They ate what they could wherever they could. Their food came from three sources: prey, scavenged and grazed items. Prey would be mainly herbivores, for example rabbits, deer, sheep or antelope. Scavenged food was food which dogs, acting as nature’s cleaners, devoured from the scraps left over from the meals of big, messy carnivores such as lions, bears and pumas. Grazed food included apples, berries and other wild fruits and nuts in season, and formed a small but significant part of a dog’s diet, especially during summer. Coprophagia (eating of faeces) offered dogs even greater nutritional scope.

Dogs hunted in packs. They devoured their prey completely: nothing would remain of the carcase. The soft organs, or viscera, were the first things to be eaten, followed by the gut contents, which, in herbivores, would be full of chewed and partially digested vegetable matter. Cereals were also present, but only as a small proportion. Then the muscle (meat) would be eaten. The bones, skin and hair comprised the final course, being nature’s way of cleaning the teeth after a large meal.

Man has been feeding dogs for about forty thousand years. The canines helped with the hunt and man rewarded them with some of the leftovers, which the dogs were only too happy to consume. Life was easier for both species under this arrangement: man got a useful hunting companion; the dogs got a pack mate who fed them a broad-ranging diet without them having to do too much work.

A BARF feeding diet is as close to nature as we can get with the right mix your pets will live a happier healthy life. We hope this information helps you on your way.

We have listed answers to some questions that you may ask, but if you are interested in finding out more about feeding BARF here are some books & sites that you might find helpful. . .

* "Give Your Dog a Bone" - by Dr Ian Billinghurst

* "Grow Your Pups with Bones" - by Dr Ian Billinghurst

* "Raw Meaty Bones" - by Tom Lonsdale

* "Hostilic Guide for a Healthy Dog - by Wendy Volhard & Kerry Brown

and Susan I do hope you get your dogs problems sorted out soon... :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm! The post certainly got lively ....... :(

I have not tried my dogs on raw chicken wings. I just think of the bones and get cold feet. I should try,........ I suppose it is beacuse my first dog a Ridgeback ate a whole raw chicken and required surgery to remove splinters of bone from her bowel.

As you can see from the debate, the Barf diet is favoured by many VERY expeienced whippet owners and Breeders :)

My dogs have a problem with cooked chicken (especailly the skin and fats) but raw obviously works well for many.

I would try giving the wheat based pasta a miss as wheat is well documented as causing upsets to sensitive stomachs.

Toddy does really well on the James Well Beloved and the Beta Sensitive if you want to try dry alternatives to the expensive vet products. Both work for him. The Beta, does contain additives and is not organic but seems to work for the Todster whereas the organic wheet free Aukarty that my others get does not agree with him at all. I think it is a case of finding the dry (if that is the way you want to go) that suits your dogs best. Trial and error.

Best of luck :luck:

The dogs have full water bowls,,one in the diningroom and one in the kitchen,,fresh all the time,,kinda gets warm,,so I empty them and add nice cold water in the warm weather,,,never knew bakers dog food was killing the boys,,they only ate the beef balls,,they no longer getting them,,was going to give the bag to my sis in law for her dog,,but might need to bin them.I did try raw chicken wings about 2 yrs ago,,they ran from them :clown: ,,like Ive said my 2 are very fussy,,hope the new food will solve the proplem,,as not nice to see blood in the garden,,and the vet bills,,im glad we put money away each week for them,,had a border collie,,who ate tined ped chum,,from a tiny pup till he was pts at 19 years old,,I did wish last week they would eat tin chum,,did my collie well,,now Im scared of kidney probs,,but they do get fresh water every day and have 2 bowls,,filled when they need filled. Thank again for all your replys,,it has helped me loads,,will update in a few months on how they are doing :thumbsup:

For goodness sake, what is wrong with you Tillynpip and hula?????????????
Are you the only people who are allowed an opinion???? There are people on here who have been in dogs for years and feed the "old fashioned" way, meat, meaty bones, veg, fish and wholemeal mixers or toasted crusts.

None of the dogs fed that way had "sensitive" stomachs, if they did they were fed Chappie or cooked chicken and rice until they got over the squits.

There is nothing wrong with feeding RAW meat, chicken wings that have been frozen, beef rib bones, and lamb ribs.

Mine have clean teeth, correct 'poohs' and very very rarely get and upset tum.

So. just accept another persons take on things, don't keep having a go at Moonglow, she's had dogs for years and knows what she is talking about.
There are also people on here who have been "in dogs " as you put it for years and don't chose to feed the old fashioned way . :thumbsup:

The dogs have full water bowls,,one in the diningroom and one in the kitchen,,fresh all the time,,kinda gets warm,,so I empty them and add nice cold water in the warm weather,,,never knew bakers dog food was killing the boys,,they only ate the beef balls,,they no longer getting them,,was going to give the bag to my sis in law for her dog,,but might need to bin them.I did try raw chicken wings about 2 yrs ago,,they ran from them :clown: ,,like Ive said my 2 are very fussy,,hope the new food will solve the proplem,,as not nice to see blood in the garden,,and the vet bills,,im glad we put money away each week for them,,had a border collie,,who ate tined ped chum,,from a tiny pup till he was pts at 19 years old,,I did wish last week they would eat tin chum,,did my collie well,,now Im scared of kidney probs,,but they do get fresh water every day and have 2 bowls,,filled when they need filled. Thank again for all your replys,,it has helped me loads,,will update in a few months on how they are doing :thumbsup:

Seen the post about food junk food or left overs,,they never get left overs from the table or junk food,,think they have IBS cant be helped as I have has IBS for a few years,,human form,,,my diet does help,,not the same as dogs diet,,I want the best for my dogs,,cost does not matter,,they wont eat raw food,,,think the dry hills diet is a start,,might not work,but in time I will find the right food for them,,im happy as they doing well,,no tablets today,,not saying they wont need the tummy tablets tomoorw as the vet said they can have them when needed,,im scared to worm them,,as might upset tummys,,got the tablets to do them,,butlike the vet said,,wait till they normal,,toilet fine,,,Ive had dogs,,whippets racing for over 20 odd yrs,,but some times we ask for help or advice,,I know my dogs wont eat raw food,,but the advice I have had has been great,,thank so much for your posts and pm's

Dry can damage their kidneys. Make sure they have plenty of water. My precious siamese cat had kidney problems because I fed her dry food.

Your cat didnt get Kidney problems just from eating dry food ! Humans get kidney problems and how many of us eat dry food , shit happens unfortuantly

I dont do Barf diet cos in my opinion I wouldnt get te vitamin balance right plus one of my girls brought up a chicken wing bone that didnt look very soft and it scared me Sh**less if it had got stuck half way (w00t) , but that MY opionion ,I dont force any one to feed my way .

Debs try not to be so `in your face `,I know thats how you are , but it did come across rude, ( and Im a mate as you know )well I was :thumbsup:

some otherwise interesting posts

Your cat didnt get Kidney problems just from eating dry food ! Humans get kidney problems and how many of us eat dry food , shit happens unfortuantly

I dont do Barf diet cos in my opinion I wouldnt get te vitamin balance right plus one of my girls brought up a chicken wing bone that didnt look very soft and it scared me Sh**less if it had got stuck half way (w00t) , but that MY opionion ,I dont force any one to feed my way .

Debs try not to be so `in your face `,I know thats how you are , but it did come across rude, ( and Im a mate as you know )well I was :thumbsup:

my motto with the chicken wings is..if you cant cut them with kitchen scissors..I dont feed them

the bones inside should be lovely and white in colour and cut with ease...if they are brittle and look pinkish...they are usually more tough.

I know the subject is back to cats but my vet also recomended no dry food if cats suffer from Urinary Tract Disease which in turn leads to kidney problems

and crystals forming in the bladder....hence blood in the urine.

I too have had dogs alot of years, but had never fed raw until I got Ozzy and tried him with chicken wings and tripe. Vinnie was fed barf diet from when i got him and he was loving it UNTIL he chewed the pencil and perforated his bowel - i found after that he got tummy ache alot after eating, and lost his appetite. He lost load of weight and became very picky and had to feed him little but often, so I had to rethink. After trying quite a few dry feeds I now feed mine on CSJ but every other day they have either a couple of chicken wings or lamb ribs. Now I have Dante he eats the same dried as the others (he prefered the adult to the puppy biscuits) but he also has a meal of natural instinct puppy which is raw chicken and bone minced and which also has other goodies in it like fruit, veg and sea kelp etc for one of his meals. He also has bones (supervised of course) I got some beef flat rib bones from the butcher and he loves them - even though they are nearly as big as him (w00t)

I just think its down to the individual dog AND owner. When Vinnie was little i used to blend fresh veg and fruit ect and add oil etc myself but Im really impressed with the Natural Instinct packets of meat and may look into gradually reverting back to more raw and changing to just a mixer for the others when Dante changes onto the adult packs at 9 months. I too did a lot of reading like Janis - , but like I said before its each to their own.

I too have had dogs alot of years, but had never fed raw until I got Ozzy and tried him with chicken wings and tripe. Vinnie was fed barf diet from when i got him and he was loving it UNTIL he chewed the pencil and perforated his bowel - i found after that he got tummy ache alot after eating, and lost his appetite. He lost load of weight and became very picky and had to feed him little but often, so I had to rethink. After trying quite a few dry feeds I now feed mine on CSJ but every other day they have either a couple of chicken wings or lamb ribs. Now I have Dante he eats the same dried as the others (he prefered the adult to the puppy biscuits) but he also has a meal of natural instinct puppy which is raw chicken and bone minced and which also has other goodies in it like fruit, veg and sea kelp etc for one of his meals. He also has bones (supervised of course) I got some beef flat rib bones from the butcher and he loves them - even though they are nearly as big as him (w00t) I just think its down to the individual dog AND owner. When Vinnie was little i used to blend fresh veg and fruit ect and add oil etc myself but Im really impressed with the Natural Instinct packets of meat and may look into gradually reverting back to more raw and changing to just a mixer for the others when Dante changes onto the adult packs at 9 months. I too did a lot of reading like Janis - , but like I said before its each to their own.
Natural Instinct are really good, and deliver FREE.

my motto with the chicken wings is..if you cant cut them with kitchen scissors..I dont feed them

the bones inside should be lovely and white in colour and cut with ease...if they are brittle and look pinkish...they are usually more tough.

I know the subject is back to cats but my vet also recomended no dry food if cats suffer from Urinary Tract Disease which in turn leads to kidney problems

and crystals forming in the bladder....hence blood in the urine.

Sorry, I have to disagree. My vet told me why my cat had kidney problems, I believe him when he said dried food was the cause. This was in the 60s. So I resent being told my cats death was not caused by the new dried food.

As for Debs, i didn't find her her posts rude, just to the point about what she believed in. For goodness sake, we all have opinions and are entitled to state them on here.

Why do people get so het up about it.

I don't somehow think you are still a "mate" jax!!!!!! I would be slightly annoyed if you had posted a personal comment like that about me. :unsure:

for sure everyone is entitled to an opinion..which means "everyone" whether they advocate dry food or raw but it's not just a matter of sharing an opinion that upsets some folk but also the manner in which opinion is given. Explaining the values of raw feeding may encourage people to give it a try, however,ridiculing those who feed dry probably won't encourage them to feed raw.

as for dry food causing kidney problems in cats, I have to be honest and say I am sceptical, whilst I understand a cat with a tendency to struvite chrystals may develop kidney problems and said kidney problems may be exacerbated by dried food( but only if the cat does not drink sufficiently), I do not personally beleive that dried food causes kidney problems in cats... I think there would be an awful lot of lawsuits in the offing if that really was the case and since many vets advocate dry food for cats, I do not personally beleive that they are all idiots and completely wrong about animal nutrition.

polite notice...the above is my personal opinion and I still firmly beleive that there is no single perfect diet that suits all of todays domestic pets and that the majority of people on this forum are intelligent and responsible pet owners and that they all have access to plenty of information regarding nutrition and none of us should take personal opinion as actual "fact".

Every one of us does what we believe is right for our own individual pets and if my dogs have lived to a ripe old age on raw food or dry, it does not make me or them any better or more correct than anyone else, it simply means that my chosen food worked for me and mine.

Susan wnatever you decide to feed your dogs, I hope they are soon fit and healthy.

for sure everyone is entitled to an opinion..which means "everyone" whether they advocate dry food or raw but it's not just a matter of sharing an opinion that upsets some folk but also the manner in which opinion is given. Explaining the values of raw feeding may encourage people to give it a try, however,ridiculing those who feed dry probably won't encourage them to feed raw.
as for dry food causing kidney problems in cats, I have to be honest and say I am sceptical, whilst I understand a cat with a tendency to struvite chrystals may develop kidney problems and said kidney problems may be exacerbated by dried food( but only if the cat does not drink sufficiently), I do not personally beleive that dried food causes kidney problems in cats... I think there would be an awful lot of lawsuits in the offing if that really was the case and since many vets advocate dry food for cats, I do not personally beleive that they are all idiots and completely wrong about animal nutrition.

polite notice...the above is my personal opinion and I still firmly beleive that there is no single perfect diet that suits all of todays domestic pets and that the majority of people on this forum are intelligent and responsible pet owners and that they all have access to plenty of information regarding nutrition and none of us should take personal opinion as actual "fact".

Every one of us does what we believe is right for our own individual pets and if my dogs have lived to a ripe old age on raw food or dry, it does not make me or them any better or more correct than anyone else, it simply means that my chosen food worked for me and mine.

Susan wnatever you decide to feed your dogs, I hope they are soon fit and healthy.
Good post !

If folk cant take criticisum ( sp) they shouldnt be on a public forum .

I have lots of views about stuff, but I dont constantly try to ram them down folks neck at every opportunity ;)

If Debs is no longer a `mate `then its her loss , I dont see how anything I put was offensive

Thank you,,for you reply,,both dogs still doing great,,,,happy dogs,,need more of the vet food,,going to see if they do a bigger bag,,no tablets again today,,so all is good :thumbsup:

They are going to stay on the vet food for 2 months,,vets advice,,then going to try maybe Hills or what the vet advises,,not realy decided yet,,got to be dry so the dogs can graze,,he said small but often is good for them,,my 2 pick away at the food when they want to. I dont think they have lost weight,,both over weight,,so this is not realy a problem. Still not wormed them,,going to wait a few more days as I know they not got worms,,but its 3 months since last worming,,scared to upset the tummys if I do. Thanks for all your posts.

My 2 like the white chew bones,,could this upset them,,took all bones away from them for the moment,,I now scared to let them have chews or pigs ears,,think I need to talk to the vet as both have nice white teeth,,would like them to have a treat now and again

Personally I would delay worming them for a month or so. Raw carrots clean teeth.

Glad to read that your dogs are improving.

Thank you,,for you reply,,both dogs still doing great,,,,happy dogs,,need more of the vet food,,going to see if they do a bigger bag,,no tablets again today,,so all is good :thumbsup:

They are going to stay on the vet food for 2 months,,vets advice,,then going to try maybe Hills or what the vet advises,,not realy decided yet,,got to be dry so the dogs can graze,,he said small but often is good for them,,my 2 pick away at the food when they want to. I dont think they have lost weight,,both over weight,,so this is not realy a problem. Still not wormed them,,going to wait a few more days as I know they not got worms,,but its 3 months since last worming,,scared to upset the tummys if I do. Thanks for all your posts.

My 2 like the white chew bones,,could this upset them,,took all bones away from them for the moment,,I now scared to let them have chews or pigs ears,,think I need to talk to the vet as both have nice white teeth,,would like them to have a treat now and again
personally, i would just give them the vet food and no other treats for the time being, just let their systems settle and get used to a single food...onceyou've had several weeks of normal pooing and healthy dogs, then try introducing different things..but just try one type of treat and see what effect it has...if it upsets them then don't give it again but try not to rush into giving lots of different things or you'll be back to square one..just take your time with them and you'll soon get them on a diet( both main meals and treats)which suits them both.

personally, i would just give them the vet food and no other treats for the time being, just let their systems settle and get used to a single food...onceyou've had several weeks of normal pooing and healthy dogs, then try introducing different things..but just try one type of treat and see what effect it has...if it upsets them then don't give it again but try not to rush into giving lots of different things or you'll be back to square one..just take your time with them and you'll soon get them on a diet( both main meals and treats)which suits them both.

Thank you,,what I was thinking,,going to give them the vet food for a few months,,then add another slowly,,have a diary,,then add the chews etc,,my 2 love pork pies,,they not had them for about 3 weeks,,they love chicken also,,will keep going on the vet food and see how it goes,,then add the new food,,if they go backwards,,might keep them on the vet food,,will see,,time will tell,,only want the best for them,,love my 2 boys to bits,,thanks to everyone for their replys,,hope this topic helps others x :thumbsup:

Unless your dogs eat decomposing vermin (rabbits etc) the ware very unlikely to get tape worm.

I only worm 6 monthly with drontal and despite eating a lot of rubbish, I have never seen any sign of worms in my dog's faeces.

Garlic works as a wormer and also helps reduce the risks of ticks and fleas. It is not as effective as the vet products but is you are worried, you could use this meantime. Consult your vet, but it is unlikely to upset their stomachs.

I have Toddy (sensitive stomach) and Lilly (suspected pancreatitis / indegestion) on Billy no Mates a natural flea and tick repellant. I started this a month ago. They seem to like the taste and strangely enough Toddy's bowels are much better (firmer stools) and Lilly's indigestion has vanished. I am still really pleased with the Beta sensitive which seems to suit Toddy even better than the James wellbeloved. I find that if I give fat or bits of human left overs, Toddy goes hyper and gets an upset stomach.

With regards to the teeth. I give my dogs a white hide like chew strip once a week with no tummy upsets. They also get 4 Hills T/D (dental buscuits) at breakfast and 2 again at bedtime. These can be fed as a complete diet but are too rich for my dogs stomachs and very fattening compared to most dog foods. This balance works for me.

It really is a case of taking your time trying out different foods over many months till you find the one that suits your dogs best.

Hope all continues to go well,

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back