The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Illegal To Have Dog Just Sitting In Car ?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Im sure thats right your dog has to be restrained by a seat belt or in a cage etc. :thumbsup:

Yes I think your right.

Im sure I read over a year ago dog's had to be in a cage or harness. If you are in an accident,,a dog is just like a child,,they could kill you as they will fly forward.

Might google it later.

Had a look at the kennel club site and it's not against the law for them not to be in a cage or harnees,,,but it is if they distract the driver .

We live and learn.

My boys are in cages,,,in the boot of the car,,,but pup's always sat on someone's lap,,unless it was going to the vet for it's jabs,,then in the cage .

I think it's safer if they are in a cage or harness,,,i would not like Gizmo hitting me at 30mph,,and he's a little guy.

I've always just been happier knowing children and dogs are safely secured in vehicles.

I was behind a car the other day and I thought at first there was a doll on the parcel shelf at the back (the car had several children in - all looked under five and none were strapped in) but lo and behold the lady sat in the back picked the "doll" up and it was a BABY!!!!! I couldnt believe it and gave loud blasts on my horn and mouthed exactly what I thought of her! :rant:

I don't know what the law is on this but I thought it would just be common sense to have a dog restrained either in a crate or harnessed.

Well this is all news to me.

Ben travels in the foot well of the passenger seat in between my legs while Ian is driving and Sid is curled up asleep next to Rob in the back seat>

I know you can buy harness' but I have never seen nor heard of one being used.

I may look into this... :unsure:

Where can you buy these harness' and how do they fit to the car... they only go in a little matiz as the dogs don't go in the other 2 vehicles we own

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is all news to me.
Ben travels in the foot well of the passenger seat in between my legs while Ian is driving and Sid is curled up asleep next to Rob in the back seat>

I know you can buy harness' but I have never seen nor heard of one being used.

I may look into this... :unsure:

Where can you buy these harness' and how do they fit to the car... they only go in a little matiz as the dogs don't go in the other 2 vehicles we own

Hi Rach

All my dogs get crated with the exception of Albus who does not travel well in the boot. He has an RAC harness, which is quite easy to fit. This has a loop on the back for the seat belt to be passed through before being fastened into the mechanism.

Some 18 years ago when we had our cocker spaniel we had a dog guard blocking the boot from the rest of the car and Ben used to go in the boot. In those days I had a little Fiat Uno and could not fit a crate in the boot. Whilst he was always good at escaping he'd never tried anything in the car. He'd obviously been working out how the guard worked because on this particular day he had opened the guard, come through the rear of the car and sat on my knee whilst driving. Luckily I wasn't traveling at speed and was able to stop put him back in the boot and was home in a couple of minutes. I invested in a harness before he went in the car again. Certainly taught me a lesson.

Rachael Pets at Home sell the harnesses in all different sizes to suit different breed of dogs. :thumbsup: thats where I got my first one, although I dont use it now because I have a 4 x 4 and have a dog bar fitted

in the back.

and heres a link for Zooplus ....they do them online too

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cag...CFUog3godOV9hmw

also tips on keeping a dog safe while travelling

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_CarSafety.php
OOPS meant to add..heres also a link to dog guards for anyone looking...

I got mine from this site...a very personal service, would recomend them.

http://www.dogguardsrus.co.uk/ ....will fit into most hatch backs...

we saw someone with a dog on their lap last night driving on the motorway-very silly :angry:

Rachael Pets at Home sell the harnesses in all different sizes to suit different breed of dogs. :thumbsup: thats where I got my first one, although I dont use it now because I have a 4 x 4 and have a dog bar fitted

in the back.

and heres a link for Zooplus ....they do them online too

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cag...CFUog3godOV9hmw

also tips on keeping a dog safe while travelling

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_CarSafety.php
OOPS meant to add..heres also a link to dog guards for anyone looking...

I got mine from this site...a very personal service, would recomend them.

http://www.dogguardsrus.co.uk/ ....will fit into most hatch backs...

Ok so I have a harness coming for Sidy who sits on the back seat but Ben doesn't travel wall and is sick if on the seat, on a lap or the boots but travels fine on the floor if it is a smooth road.

So he is staying put...

Thanks for the links and advice :thumbsup:

]p.s. the back of a 4 x 4 is perfect but a proper boot is dangerous due to exhaust fumes.[/b]

could you please explain this for me????

I've been told there is a chance of the exhaust fumes getting into the boot ;)

i would assume thats not for all cars as my car has 2 pull seat in the boot which are used regularly by kids :unsure:

K4tie I think you must be talking about a different kind of boot !

I mean the ones saloon cars have, not hatchbacks or 4 x 4's ........................................or do you really put your kids in the 'boot' ? (w00t)

Some volvos have rear little seats for kids to sit in :thumbsup:

K4tie I think you must be talking about a different kind of boot !I mean the ones saloon cars have, not hatchbacks or 4 x 4's ........................................or do you really put your kids in the 'boot' ? (w00t)

my god anyone who puts a dog in a saloons car boot needs to be shot, might aswell lock them up in a cubord.

sorry if i have got mixed up, my definition of a boot is the space at the back of the car for the shopping lol, we have a zafira so im guessing its not got a boot its a hatchback but what do you call the space in the back then???

:wacko: :wacko: im so confussed :unsure: :unsure:

"In a collision small objects become big missiles, making impacts of 20-30 times their weight. 20 kg of load can impact the skull at an equivalent of ½ tonne. This means even the smallest objects can pack a big punch."

Joel Neilsen, Managing Director, Safe Drive Training

It's hard to believe the forces that are developed during an impact even when driving at only 35 MPH

I think many of us need to rethink how we place our dogs when driving. Even for short trips to the shops.

Gypsy goes in the boot........we have a large 4x4 so she has plenty of room and sprawls out on her blanket.....i attach her lead to a little hook on the side........she has always travelled fine :thumbsup:

One of my work colleagues had an accident a couple of years ago :( She used to take her dog with her in the car and attached his lead to a hook in the back in much the same way as you have described, Hely.

The force of the accident was so severe that her dog (a weimeraner) was thrown forward and the collar and lead effectively hung him and broke his neck :'( :'(

It was a horrific thing to happen and she now uses a car harness for her new dog :thumbsup:

After it happened, it played on my mind so much that I went out and bought a car harness for Fizz (my collie) who used to travel in the back of my Discovery. She was very pleased as it meant she travelled on the back seat instead with her harness on :thumbsup: :teehee:

For those struggling with dogs that might be sick in the back of a hatchback a crate like mine might be useful. It's custom made to fit the space and so extends higher than many meaning that the whips can sit up and look out the back really well ... we've had no problems with travel sickness since getting our Dog Pod - they're not cheap though I'm afraid.

Annie

Gypsy goes in the boot........we have a large 4x4 so she has plenty of room and sprawls out on her blanket.....i attach her lead to a little hook on the side........she has always travelled fine :thumbsup:

One of my work colleagues had an accident a couple of years ago :( She used to take her dog with her in the car and attached his lead to a hook in the back in much the same way as you have described, Hely.

The force of the accident was so severe that her dog (a weimeraner) was thrown forward and the collar and lead effectively hung him and broke his neck :'( :'(

It was a horrific thing to happen and she now uses a car harness for her new dog :thumbsup:

After it happened, it played on my mind so much that I went out and bought a car harness for Fizz (my collie) who used to travel in the back of my Discovery. She was very pleased as it meant she travelled on the back seat instead with her harness on :thumbsup: :teehee:
OMG, that's alway played on my mind too if you just tie their lead to the seatbelt, whippets have such little delicate necks, and your friends dog was a muscley Weimeraner, how sad.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back