The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Italian Whippets V Whippets

tcblue

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Are italian whippets any different to normal whippets in charachter,i have a whippet and am thinking of getting an italian so some advice would help greatly,are they different in any way appart from size

tcblue said:
Are italian whippets any different to normal whippets in charachter,i have a whippet and am thinking of getting an italian so some advice would help greatly,are they different in any way appart from size
sorry i meant italian greyhounds

In my opinion they are completely different and a lot more complex.

My whippets love other whippets - why not get your whippet another whippet companion. :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
TCblue, I posted somthing not dissimlar to this a few weeks back and prompted a whole huge argument about iggy.............. :oops: .

I decided not to get an Iggy and have taken delivery of another whip. I had an 8mth old bitch and now have an 18mth old ex show dog. Whips def know their own kind and prefer them, my two spent the weekend ignoring our little cocker spaniel, think they felt she was too hairy and dirty and kept looking down their noses at her........ :oops: !

I reckon, get another whip! Let us know what you decide you will find lots of friendly info on here.

:huggles:

Feel free to post addtional information as you like Fiona :thumbsup: If no one posts any detailed info in response to basic queries how can people make an informed decisions about this breed? :unsure:

zilloot said:
moriarte said:
I still think an Iggy FAQ section would be useful here  :- "
Here are a couple of links which might give you some further information:

IG UK soc

IG puppy/adoption information

Just out of curiosity, moriarte, how many Italians have you lived with?

what? you have to live with a breed before posting a couple of useful links for a member who is looking for advice. it's funny when someone asks for genuine advice on this breed the so called "afficianados" are struck dumb but find find an ad of someone selling one and it's

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

moriarte said:
If no one posts any detailed info in response to basic queries how can people make an informed decisions about this breed?  :unsure:
How very strange, you must have missed all my previous posts in this forum :blink: Including the one with the links to both the UK websites. And the ones where I describe in detail what it's like to live with them :blink: In fact, all my posts about Iggies over the last 2.5 years :blink: :teehee: which show them as both lovable and difficult animals to live with. :wub: :teehee:

Of course, we're all armchair experts. o:) especially the americans??? :wacko: :(

masta said:
zilloot said:
moriarte said:

IG UK soc

what? you have to live with a breed before posting a couple of useful links for a member who is looking for advice. it's funny when someone asks for genuine advice on this breed the so called "afficianados" are struck dumb but find find an ad of someone selling one and it's

I've never been 'struck dumb'? :blink: In fact I'm usually the first person to respond to queries about Iggies... with genuine intentions because I had to start at the deep end.. by doing the groundwork; the reading and the asking and asking and asking all by myself. No-one can hand out that on a plate which is why I quote the UK sites :blink: or have I been talking to thin air? No wonder the breeders keep quiet if people expect to understand the breed in the space of a single post on a web-forum.

I think there's something to be said for living with them rather than just quoting american sites (the breed situation in America is very different from the UK, but who would expect anyone who has not lived with the breed to understand that). After all, we're told not to believe everything you read on the Internet.

zilloot said:
masta said:
zilloot said:
moriarte said:

IG UK soc

I've never been 'struck dumb'? :blink: In fact I'm usually the first person to respond to queries about Iggies... with genuine intentions because I had to start at the deep end.. by doing the groundwork; the reading and the asking and asking and asking all by myself. No-one can hand out that on a plate which is why I quote the UK sites :blink: or have I been talking to thin air? No wonder the breeders keep quiet if people expect to understand the breed in the space of a single post on a web-forum.

I think there's something to be said for living with them rather than just quoting american sites (the breed situation in America is very different from the UK, but who would expect anyone who has not lived with the breed to understand that). After all, we're told not to believe everything you read on the Internet.

Well said Zilloot! :thumbsup:

I've never been 'struck dumb'? :blink:   In fact I'm usually the first person to respond to queries about Iggies... with genuine intentions because I had to start at the deep end.. by doing the groundwork; the reading and the asking and asking and asking all by myself.  No-one can hand out that on a plate which is why I quote the UK sites :blink:   or have I been talking to thin air?  No wonder the breeders keep quiet if people expect to understand the breed in the space of a single post on a web-forum.
I think there's something to be said for living with them rather than just quoting american sites (the breed situation in America is very different from the UK, but who would expect anyone who has not lived with the breed to understand that).  After all, we're told not to believe everything you read on the Internet.

Totally sensible reply from someone who so very obviously knows the breed. :thumbsup:

And yes, until you have lived with an IG you DONT know the breed, but only in my opinion which you can take or leave :)

nina said:
I've never been 'struck dumb'? :blink:    In fact I'm usually the first person to respond to queries about Iggies... with genuine intentions because I had to start at the deep end.. by doing the groundwork; the reading and the asking and asking and asking all by myself.  No-one can hand out that on a plate which is why I quote the UK sites :blink:   or have I been talking to thin air?  No wonder the breeders keep quiet if people expect to understand the breed in the space of a single post on a web-forum.
I think there's something to be said for living with them rather than just quoting american sites (the breed situation in America is very different from the UK, but who would expect anyone who has not lived with the breed to understand that).  After all, we're told not to believe everything you read on the Internet.

Totally sensible reply from someone who so very obviously knows the breed. :thumbsup:

And yes, until you have lived with an IG you DONT know the breed, but only in my opinion which you can take or leave :)

i think the point of the post was so they could get advice on owning one and maybe hopefully LIVING with it and then maybe they would KNOW the breed

i think the point of the post was so they could get advice on owning one and maybe hopefully LIVING with it and then maybe they would KNOW the breed

Think maybe YOU were missing the "point" of the reply 8)

how will anyone get to learn about iggies when the breeders never sell them out of the circles.

unwanted said:
how will anyone get to learn about iggies when the breeders never sell them out of the circles.

A good breeder will sell to the "right" people & when you have had this breed for long enough & you do home checks & meet the people you know when they are right & when they are not.

Any fool can sell a puppy there is nothing clever in that BUT selling a puppy to the RIGHT home where it will be safe & loved for life isnt always easy.

In my books it is NOTHING to do with being in a "circle"??

I have driven the length & breadth of the country vetting homes & meeting people & i make up my own mind, nothing to do with "circles"!!

have you tried ig rescue? im sure they will be happy to help and advise? welcome to k9 , im sure you will gain lots of advice help and tips on here :thumbsup:

nina said:
unwanted said:

A good breeder will sell to the "right" people & when you have had this breed for long enough & you do home checks & meet the people you know when they are right & when they are not.

Any fool can sell a puppy there is nothing clever in that BUT selling a puppy to the RIGHT home where it will be safe & loved for life isnt always easy.

In my books it is NOTHING to do with being in a "circle"??

I have driven the length & breadth of the country vetting homes & meeting people & i make up my own mind, nothing to do with "circles"!!

Exactly! And then for all these "right" people there's the waiting list - which may be years as there are relatively few puppies genuinely available.

As said before, this whole situation is nothing to do with "circles", or money, but with finding the right homes for a difficult breed and the low availability of puppies.

Plain English? :blink:

If you 'can't' get a puppy then maybe the breeders don't think you're a suitable home. It's that simple. And they have every right and good intention to be choosy.

If you 'can't' get a puppy then maybe the breeders don't think you're a suitable home.  It's that simple.  And they have every right and good intention to be choosy.

:thumbsup: Couldn't have said it better myself. Puppies dont ask to be born, it is us that bring them into the world, so our responsibility to insure to the best of our ability that they have the very best homes we can possibly find. ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back