The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Italian Whippets V Whippets

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have an Iggy and have never owned (or be owned by) a whippet. I do know them through my sister.

Iggies might be similar(ish) in appearance but, from my vast experience of living with ONE, are quiet different.

MyItalian Princess is very different from any dog I have known, yet still completely doggy. She is a delight and a mystery. Every day she develops and improves. NOT destructive, does not counter surf and is physically very low maintenance.

An amazing little critter. I will not ramble any longer......

My family (who live in Australia) includes an italian greyhound. Although the breed is still rare in Australia, I don't think puppies are in quite so short a supply as they are in the UK.

Our Ig, a gorgeous fawn boy named Hunter, is a wonderfully sound, active dog with a huge personality and he is so enriching to our lives. He gets on well with the whippets and the terrier but his true loves are his people, in particular my parents. He's far more people oriented than the whippets. Remember that Igs are a very old breed and their sole purpose was always human companionship, and this shines through in the way they love and need to interact with humans. An Ig fulfils its destiny by sitting on your lap and staring up at you adoringly!

So if I were to offer advice to anyone considering taking on an Ig, I would say that it's a decision that needs lots of careful thought, as an Ig will demand much more of you than a whippet and needs that closeness with you in order to thrive.

I'm hoping to start my own canine family in my new home in the UK in the next six months or so, and I think whippets rather than Igs are more for me, simply because I don't think I can offer an Ig the constant closeness that it needs. I think Igs are best suited to someone who doesn't work full time or works from home.

I hope this advice helps. I'm a bit nervous about posting as I know how controversial the Ig posts can get!

:cheers: Carolyn

zilloot said:
After all, we're told not to believe everything you read on the Internet.
It's funny, the only way to get any discussion of issues going on this forum is to post information in the hope that people respond to it, debate and question it. I ghouth that is what discussion forums are for :- "

I can see there is a problem in expecting the same people to answer basic questions many times over, which is why an FAQ, written by someone experienced in the breed, might be helpful. I can't honestly see what is contentious about that. Also, the ease with which discussions of the breed descend into rows, personal abuse and criticism extremely offputting to newcomers and regulars alike. The current situation is that people ask for information; posts remain unanswered and when someone (shock horror, a non-Iggy person) intervenes to get a thread going, a row ensues.

On the subject of talking about things we have only personal experience of, I seem to remember you enlarging, with great enthusiasm, on the downside of cats not so long ago, without any extensive personal experience of keeping them. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
How come it seems to be that only this section of the forum always deteriorates into an argument???

It is very sad :( :(

moriarte said:
On the subject of talking about things we have only personal experience of, I seem to remember you enlarging, with great enthusiasm, on the downside of cats not so long ago, without any extensive personal experience of keeping them. ;)

:lol: Your assumption is quite wrong ;)

Again, your memory fails you on the content of my posts. I kept cats for over 20 years in total which I consider fairly '"extensive". I just choose not to have any cats now, thank goodness, and I do remember saying I cared very much for the ones I had.

moriarte said:
The current situation is that people ask for information; posts remain unanswered and when someone (shock horror, a non-Iggy person) intervenes to get a thread going, a row ensues.

The idea of the availibility of FAQ is not the contentious issue. In fact that's rather a good idea.

Nor do the posts on information go unanswered - in fact they are usually answered by the people with many years more experience than me even if it does take some time. (And I'm often the first to respond.) Perhaps these people are too busy to 'get a thread going' within your prescriptive timescale. :- "

I think the problem lies with self-appointed experts who only ever post/appear in the forum in order to brandish some overseas dictate as a panacea for the breed in this country. Even patron saints are elected and the breed doesn't need one; we have so many to choose from who know iggies inside out :thumbsup:

Absolutely no offence intended - just an opinion in an open debate ;)

05whippet said:
How come it seems to be that only this section of the forum always deteriorates into an argument???
It is very sad  :(   :(

It happens in all sections!

Generally this section is full of fun. It only degenerates when the people who seem to have an axe to grind because they cannot get an Iggy & generally have no experience of the breed start posting :angry:

I probably shouldn't interfere here but I quite like the way the Iggie people protect their breed. I went to an open show on Saturday and spent ages talking to some people with Iggies, they care so much for the breed's welfare and yet didn't in any way shut me out. They were truthful, and informative, we talked about their construction and movement, what they were like to live with etc, etc, etc. I am just a person interested in the breed yet in no way was I made to feel an outsider. I also picked the BOB winner :thumbsup: get me on that judging list ;) ;)

Jenny

wigglesworth said:
My family (who live in Australia) includes an italian greyhound. Although the breed is still rare in Australia, I don't think puppies are in quite so short a supply as they are in the UK.

Our Ig, a gorgeous fawn boy named Hunter, is a wonderfully sound, active dog with a huge personality and he is so enriching to our lives. He gets on well with the whippets and the terrier but his true loves are his people, in particular my parents. He's far more people oriented than the whippets. Remember that Igs are a very old breed and their sole purpose was always human companionship, and this shines through in the way they love and need to interact with humans. An Ig fulfils its destiny by sitting on your lap and staring up at you adoringly!

So if I were to offer advice to anyone considering taking on an Ig, I would say that it's a decision that needs lots of careful thought, as an Ig will demand much more of you than a whippet and needs that closeness with you in order to thrive.

I'm hoping to start my own canine family in my new home in the UK in the next six months or so, and I think whippets rather than Igs are more for me, simply because I don't think I can offer an Ig the constant closeness that it needs. I think Igs are best suited to someone who doesn't work full time or works from home.

I hope this advice helps. I'm a bit nervous about posting as I know how controversial the Ig posts can get!

:cheers: Carolyn

Well i for one thought this a lovely post, very sensible, genuine & caring & again someone who so obviously knows an IG. :thumbsup:

zilloot said:
I think the problem lies with self-appointed experts who only ever post/appear in the forum in order to brandish some overseas dictate as a panacea for the breed in this country.  Even patron saints are elected and the breed doesn't need one; we have so many to choose from who know iggies inside out
I think referring to a someone who posts a couple of links as a "self-appointed experts who only ever post/appear in the forum in order to brandish some overseas dictate" is a somewhat childish over-reaction. There have been many childish over-reactions of this kind over the last year, which result in an unpleasant atmosphere, with a lot of unnecessary personal sniping as has been observed. This is an open forum, it's a bit sad if individuals can't raise issues without personal abuse, snide remarks or rubbishing of information from sources they may not personally agree, without fact-based discussion.

Nor do the posts on information go unanswered - in fact they are usually answered by the people with many years more experience than me even if it does take some time. (And I'm often the first to respond.) Perhaps these people are too busy to 'get a thread going' within your prescriptive timescale. :- "

I think the problem lies with self-appointed experts who only ever post/appear in the forum in order to brandish some overseas dictate as a panacea for the breed in this country. Even patron saints are elected and the breed doesn't need one; we have so many to choose from who know iggies inside out :thumbsup:

Oh how right you are :- "

There are a few people on here that i know (myself excluded) who have had the breed many years BUT dont proclaim to be "experts" even so, they have tried many times to give advice. Advice & information that they have learnt the hard way & thru experince.

Unfortunately there are those that have had the breed not 5 minutes BUT are automatically experts who instantly know everything & any advice or information given by people who have many years experience is merely ridiculed or thrown in their faces.

These people then feel that all that happens is that they waste their breath & their advice falls on deaf ears as the people in question will do what they want to do & beleive what they want to beleive if it suits them.

None of us are experts no matter how long we have a breed BUT serious IG folk will know the lines like the back of their hands, they will have a wealth of information regarding health issues, hereditary faults so on & so forth.

Yes they are protective of the breed because they know their pitfalls & do you not think that they have not seen these 5 minute flash in the pan know it all people come & go time & time again :- "

I, personally am NO expert, i only have my own experiences & fortunately the help, advice & information of some of the doyens in the breed to rely upon & i personally have always helped GENUINE, caring people who want an IG for the right reasons.

However, i do NOT suffer fools gladly OR am easily taken in by the many people who over the years have proclaimed to be genuine people only to turn out to be out to make a quick buck. :rant:

I think if people were treated with a tad more respect & perhaps advice was listened to & heeded maybe more people would post BUT unfortunately the "been around 5 minutes yet know it alls" seem to have the monopoly on most of the posts & i think most serious IG folk really dont have the time or patience to read such waffle, as they know it is complete & utter nonsense BUT if they try & provide correct informative information it will just be shouted down. :thumbsup:

I will help any IG in need if i can BUT i now let the "so called experts" get on with it :thumbsup:

05whippet said:
It is very sad  :(   :(

moriarte said:
This is an open forum, it's a bit sad if individuals can't raise issues without personal abuse, snide remarks or rubbishing of information from sources they may not personally agree, without fact-based discussion.
couldn't agree more!!

and to be honest, I am totally fed up of it!!

so I am going to read these posts from a safe distance, with my precious iggies and whippet curled up on the bed behind me - but I won't be joining in with anymore discussions of this nature

As an iggie owner, I guess I am qualified to post this here????????

i for one think its very good to have various links put on and informative sites given, how else do we find all these things, and i thank those that do put them on, newcomers can then have some quick references before researching deeper and deeper into the breed, i found there was not a lot of books available in which to seek out deeper information so any help has to be good :thumbsup:

in reference to research on homes surely this is done with every dog? vetting a person and home is simply THE thing to do first and foremost? :thumbsup:

doris said:
so I am going to read these posts from a safe distance, with my precious iggies and whippet curled up on the bed behind me - but I won't be joining in with anymore discussions of this nature
As an iggie owner, I guess I am qualified to post this here????????

TBH I've seen this happen of other forums before. It saddens me that people with first hand experience are intimidated by newcomers, sometimes in an aggresive manner. The results been the same, experienced folk stop posting.

I can appreciate Moriarte wanted to help a newcomer, maybe there would of been less conflict if they'd posted that although they'd never owned an iggy they'd come across some links that may be useful. I've seen threads before with no replies, I recall one recently where a dog had a specific type of muscle injury, although it wasn't a whippet, I did reply informing them that I'd cross posted into the non-ped forum incase anyone had experience of the injury alone although it would be unlikely they'd be familiar with the breed. I just sort of felt something was better than nothing so I can sympathise a little here.

Nothing beats first hand advice and first hand experience and sometimes someone will try something different and suceeds too.

“The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself.” Quoted by Oscar Wilde, and very apt as his comment could be taken either way (i.e. experience or ignorance)

Don't stop posting folks but please try to respect each other.

Good choice Doris :thumbsup: just how i feel.

Oh how right you are :- "

There are a few people on here that i know (myself excluded) who have had the breed many years BUT dont proclaim to be "experts" even so, they have tried many times to give advice. Advice & information that they have learnt the hard way & thru experince.

Unfortunately there are those that have had the breed not 5 minutes BUT are automatically experts who instantly know everything & any advice or information given by people who have many years experience is merely ridiculed or thrown in their faces.

These people then feel that all that happens is that they waste their breath & their advice falls on deaf ears as the people in question will do what they want to do & beleive what they want to beleive if it suits them.

None of us are experts no matter how long we have a breed BUT serious IG folk will know the lines like the back of their hands, they will have a wealth of information regarding health issues, hereditary faults so on & so forth.

Yes they are protective of the breed because they know their pitfalls & do you not think that they have not seen these 5 minute flash in the pan know it all people come & go time & time again :- "

I, personally am NO expert, i only have my own experiences & fortunately the help, advice & information of some of the doyens in the breed to rely upon & i personally have always helped GENUINE, caring people who want an IG for the right reasons.

However, i do NOT suffer fools gladly OR am easily taken in by the many people who over the years have proclaimed to be genuine people only to turn out to be out to make a quick buck. :rant:

I think if people were treated with a tad more respect & perhaps advice was listened to & heeded maybe more people would post BUT unfortunately the "been around 5 minutes yet know it alls" seem to have the monopoly on most of the posts & i think most serious IG folk really dont have the time or patience to read such waffle, as they know it is complete & utter nonsense BUT if they try & provide correct informative information it will just be shouted down. :thumbsup:

I will help any IG in need if i can BUT i now let the "so called experts" get on with it :thumbsup:

Just what I've been trying to say :blink:

Also, as I said, it was simply my opinion (with the breed's interests at heart) and not intended to cause offence. Hardly a "childish over-reaction".... simply a concern about potential mis-information from someone with little real knowledge of the breed culture.

I'm not the one throwing toys out of the pram :lol:

So, now I've been insulted and accused perhaps I should join all the other people-in-the-know and simply cuddle my iggies and watch the 5-minute-experts tie themselves in knots. Good luck!

wild whippies said:
I can appreciate Moriarte wanted to help a newcomer, maybe there would of been less conflict if they'd posted that although they'd never owned an iggy they'd come across some links that may be useful.
My mother and I joined the IG club 28 years ago with a view to finding out more and eventually getting a pup or young adult. Unfortunately there were none within easy reach of us at the time, and although we discussed the possibility of several dogs/puppies with breeders, my family never got round to finding one. I stayed a member and followed the breed at shows for about 10 years.

I did look into getting one when I got Gelert, and again spoke to a number of breeders, and discussed the possibility of taking on an young adult male who'd been returned to his breeder. Having discussed the problems with the breeder (who'd been experienceing problems with epilepsy and leukemia in her line, and was honest enough to admit it :thumbsup: ) I decided a whippet was a better option for our situation at the time; having recently lost a dog I was nervous of taking another on that might have health problems.

Having been through the process of considering an IG several times, I don't feel I have to explain myself. I've kept toy breeds in the past (and some of the issues under discussion are not unique to Iggies) and yes, they are more challenging in many ways than whippets; I wish those involved in some other breeds took the trouble to check potential owners understand what they are taking on, but I feel it could be done with a little more grace than is shown in this forum on occasion.

I'm sorry if you feel this is negligible experience Zilloot.

Just what I've been trying to say :blink: Also, as I said, it was simply my opinion (with the breed's interests at heart) and not intended to cause offence.  Hardly a "childish over-reaction".... simply a concern about potential mis-information from someone with little real knowledge of the breed culture.

I'm not the one throwing toys out of the pram :lol:

So, now I've been insulted and accused perhaps I should join all the other people-in-the-know and simply cuddle my iggies and watch the 5-minute-experts tie themselves in knots.  Good luck!

I agree with you 100%. :thumbsup:

With any of us we can only give OUR opinion BUT some folk consider if it does not tie in with THEIR opinion then it must be wrong :angry:

Anyway c'mon & join me cuddling the IG's from the sofa, we can watch the fun from there :p

There has to be more to life than bickering & arguing for those that ask an opinion but then sadly dont like the answer ;)

well personal sniping and cattiness isnt just confined to iggys,you can get that anywhere! (w00t) i think genuine iggy lovers have the best interests of the breed at heart and can usually spot an instant expert from a mile away also anyone who is going into the breed for all the wrong reasons ie breeding for profit. ;) instant experts arent confined to iggys either ive seen them in lots of other breeds and i personally can remeber telling a newcomer something about shoulder angulation in my breed only to walk past him at a show where he was holding court to an enthralled audience and was spouting word for word all he had gleaned from me.i got that way in my breed after many years experience of this that i didnt particularly want to help some folk as i thought their interest in the breed wasnt in the best interests of the breed(if you know what i mean!) :wacko:

kris said:
well personal sniping and cattiness isnt just confined to iggys,you can get that anywhere! (w00t) i think genuine iggy lovers have the best interests of the breed at heart and can usually spot an instant expert from a mile away also anyone who is going into the breed for all the wrong reasons ie breeding for profit. ;) instant experts arent confined to iggys either ive seen them in lots of other breeds and i personally can remeber telling a newcomer something about shoulder angulation in my breed only to walk past him at a show where he was holding court to an enthralled audience and was spouting word for word all he had gleaned from me.i got that way in my breed after many years experience of this that i didnt particularly want to help some folk as i thought their interest in the breed wasnt in the best interests of the breed(if you know what i mean!) :wacko:

I think many of us know EXACTLY what you mean Kris :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back