The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Judge The Whippets

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
You see this is the problem, even when the dogs are anonymous people whos dogs they are can get upset if someone says something that is not right or the owner thinks is not right. :D

IMO Everyone should look at the good points and judge the dog as a whole item, its best not to break it down in bits. I found I couldnt do any of the exercises because there just wasnt enough information for me, I put them in an order then kept thinking about how wide in front they might be or if they had keyhole back ends (dont even think about it Cartman :teehee: ) which are a personal dislike

Karen said:
keyhole back ends (dont even think about it Cartman :teehee: ) which are a personal dislike
Is this part of the standard :D

Mind you neither is a cathedral front :D :D

dessie said:
Angus said:
Morgan said:
malin said:
:oops: Sorry: would somebody be kind enough to try to say that in other words? I don't understand the term :b . Don't forget I am French, I am blonde, I am a woman... I have all excuses (w00t) :lol: ;) :b

Morgan it means an east west front . :cheers:

Morgan said:
:cheers: Thank you very much Angus :thumbsup: , I understood this :lol: .... I am just wondering how some can see that from a profile silhouette :blink: ??? But maybe it's just me... :wacko:

For those who thought this dog was toeing-out (or east west, whatever you want to call it!!) .......... here's a photo of him. You can't see all of his feet but I think you can see enough!! Do you still think his front is not right??

Now I am happy to see I was right, I thought this "thoeing out" thing was a bit exxagerated!!! Thanks Dessie :thumbsup:

Just thought it would be advantageous to some :cheers: to actually see the UK standard

General Appearance

Balanced combination of muscular power and strength with elegance and grace of outline. Built for speed and work. All forms of exaggeration should be avoided.

Characteristics

An ideal companion. Highly adaptable in domestic and sporting surroundings.

Temperament

Gentle, affectionate, even disposition.

Head and skull

Long and lean, flat on top tapering to muzzle with slight stop, rather wide between the eyes, jaws powerful and clean-cut, nose black, in blues a bluish colour permitted, in livers a nose of the same colour, in whites or parti-colour a butterfly nose permissible.

Eyes

Oval, bright, expression very alert

Ears

Rose-shaped, small, fine in texture

Mouth

Jaws strong with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to jaws.

Neck

Long, muscular, elegantly arched

Forequarters

Shoulders oblique and muscular, blades carried up to top of spine, where they are clearly defined. Forelegs straight and upright, front not too wide, pasterns strong with slight spring, elbows set well under body

Body

Chest very deep with plenty of heart room, brisket deep, well defined, broad back, firm, somewhat long, showing definite arch over loin but not humped. Loin giving impression of strength and power, ribs well sprung, muscled on back

Hindquarters

Strong, broad across thighs, stifles well bent, hocks well let down, well developed second thighs, dog able to stand over a lot of ground and show great driving power

Feet

Very neat, well split up between toes, knuckles well arched, pads thick and strong

Tail

No feathering. Long, tapering, when in action carried in a delicate curve upward but not over back

Gait/Movement

Free, hindlegs coming well under body for propulsion. Forelegs thrown well forward low over the ground, true coming and going. General movement not to look stilted, high stepping, short or mincing

Coat

Fine, short, close in texture

Colour

Any colour or mixture of colours

Size

Height: Dogs: 47-51 cms (18½-20 ins);

Bitches: 44-47 cms (17-18½ ins).

Faults

Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree

Note

Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

Dawn, can you find a really old standard, one where it lists the faults. I know we are not judging to it anymore cos we've all gone soft but it would be nice to refresh our memories :D

Karen said:
You see this is the problem, even when the dogs are anonymous people whos dogs they are can get upset if someone says something that is not right or the owner thinks is not right.  :D  

Just for the record I was not upset by any of the comments made (and there was more than one that were my dogs as it turned out) but, quite unintentionally, we took this photo of Pongo and I just thought it would be nice, as a couple of people had commented they thought he had a 10 - 2 front, to see what he looked like in the flesh!!

When Millie first posted this topic I did not know who any of the dogs were, I could hazard a guess at some of them, but I think, like most who participated in placing the dogs, it was just a bit of harmless fun not to be taken to heart or particularly seriously!!

I thought the purpose of this exercise was to place DRAWINGS, albeit traced from photographs. We supposed to judge what we saw, not what the dog looks like in reality.

I think it was very interesting how differently each of us saw these drawings, but of-course some of you know some of these dogs and judged them accordingly. I suspect I would have also found it difficult to disassociate the actual dog I know from a silhouette.

I think that many people have learned something about Whippet anatomy. I did and it prompted me to do more research, and finally order the excellent book about anatomy: GAZEHOUNDS (The Search For Truth) by Constance O. Miller.

:) Lida

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back