The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Judge The Whippets

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Morgan said:
malin said:
:oops: Sorry: would somebody be kind enough to try to say that in other words? I don't understand the term :b . Don't forget I am French, I am blonde, I am a woman... I have all excuses (w00t) :lol: ;) :b

Morgan it means an east west front . :cheers:

:cheers: Thank you very much Angus :thumbsup: , I understood this :lol: .... I am just wondering how some can see that from a profile silhouette :blink: ??? But maybe it's just me... :wacko:

Why are they all black. Can we not have a pretty one in there? :(

At least I did not say, "put the 2 males to the front & sort the bitch's out later". :eek:

I wouldn't dream of attempting this, but I just wanted to say what an excellent thread Millie, thanks :thumbsup:

Bertie - I just lurve your sense of humour (w00t)

Morgan said:
:cheers: Thank you very much Angus :thumbsup: , I understood this :lol: .... I am just wondering how some can see that from a profile silhouette :blink: ??? But maybe it's just me... :wacko:
Well, when I look carefully at all the silhuettes' feet some look like pointing forward, the E looks to me as if the feet are flat and turning out. The E silhuette looks to me very much like a Whippet i know; same front, same hind legs, similar topline, same set of neck and she toes out. She pulls her elbows tightly under her chest and turns her feet out. Maybe I just cannot separate her image from this drawing. Interesting that Malin came to the same conclusion. :thumbsup:

Lida

malin said:
My try at this:
1st - A, feminine & curvy

2nd - B, masculine, well-balanced

3rd - F, stiff pasterns, looks like a young bitch

4th - D, no tuck-up, stiff pasterns, less desirable head, big ears

5th - C, looks light boned

unplaced - E, no tuck-up, weak rear, toeing-out, lacks flowing top-line, back is not level, too heavy front

But this is a silhouettes only exercise  :)

If these had been real live dogs I might very well think different, maybe their handler stands them badly, maybe some of them are wonderful movers!

The judges have to judge what they see, not what they think the dog might look like if the handler did a better job, or what he looked like last month. I tried to do the same here, just considering what I can see, or more exactly what I thought I can see. :)

Lida

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what I'd pick for racing so maybe not very relevant to showing but.....

1st - F. Looks like it could run

2nd - D.

3rd - A

4th - B

5th - C

6th - looks like it it could run but only slowly :)

:D Seeing as I think you are all enjoying this :thumbsup:

Here are the same dogs but on a differant day in a differant order.

Wonder if any ones changes their placings LOL :- "

I'll reveal which dog was which Letter/ Number at a later date :thumbsup:

Have fun !

Nice deep brisket.??????????

ewe necked, short coupled, fine bone etc.??????????

good angulation ?????????????

bend of stifle ?????????????

exagerated rear???????????

no tuck-up, weak rear, toeing-out??????????

Now I know why I don't show (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) :clown: :lol:

:blink: Im realy enjoying this,its great fun.

Hear goes :sweating:

1, 3, Shes a nice overall shape falls away bit to steep.

2, 6, Feet turn out good shoulder lay.overall appearance not bad.

3,2, Short neck good ears nice tuck up.

4,1,From the angle of the picture looks short in loin short neck long in hock.

5, 4, Big head short neck no turn of stifle.

6,5. Bad head has no stop bad underline long in hock.

1,3,5,4,6, bet I've put them up differently, thou!

Here are the same dogs but on a differant day in a differant order.

1st - 3

2nd - 1

3rd - 6

4th - 4

5th - 5

(w00t)

1st 3

2nd 6

3rd 5

4th 1

5th 2

6th 4

I think they are being handled better in this second class!!!

Yes, there was definitely change of handlers.

1st-#3 overall nice bitch

2nd#5 - his front angulation looks good, he has a tuck-up, his hind legs are not correct

3d#1 - This bitch is bit too heavy for my liking, not elegant enough, with short neck, upright in pasterns, but set up well

4th#4 -topline fall off too steep, not enough angle in the rear, weak pasterns, not enough fill between front legs

5th#6 - I do not like his shape, his head, he looks hocky

6th#2 -this is our IG???

I have enjoyed placing them today lot more. It makes a big difference when they are set up better.

Lida

Last night I spent a long time typing my answer for the first class and then my 'puter froze and I couldn't post it! :angry:

So now there are two classes I'm having another go.

Class 1 A-F

I would be tossing up between A & B for first. On A I would like to see a tad more length of loin and neck but I like her curves and her angles and she is very 'whippety'. On B I am concerned by the line of the neck from brisket to jaw and wondering about how he would look from behind - seems to be standing on the insides of his pads there. I'm also not a great fan of how the underline takes a sharp turn upward from the backward point of the chest. Would like a smoother curve. They both have good spring of pastern and length of hock, and good second thigh.

I would probably place D third even though the body looks very tube-like in this pic. I have however seen lots of young English whippets look like this and their curves come later. So if age were a factor I would take that into consideration. The unfortunate looking head could be a trick of the pic angle. I think this bitch could easily move up or down the line on a different day.

I think I would put F in fourth - too much like a greyhound

C a hesitant 5th at this point. Although the pic does give the IG impression - she could just be pulled back by her lead. The stifle does appear to be too high up and second thigh appears to be lacking

E - 6th. Too exaggerated in many aspects. Flat topline. Long hocks.

Class 2: 1-6

firstly This is how I think they match up 1 = D (or A), 2 = C, 3= F, 4 = A (or D), 5=E, 6 = B.

I am quite confused between the two males though. Both look very different on this day.

On this day I would tossing up between 1 & 4 for 1st.

Between 6 and 5 for fourth (and if 5 IS E, he looks a better dog today) Still looks long in hock though, but topline is markedly improved.

6 looks to be flat in topline today - but if it is the same dog as B before he now really does give the impression that he's standing on the inside of his back pads and looks weaker in second thigh in this pic. I think this dog might disappoint me moving away. Neck looks much better here though and showing a forechest.

3 stills looks like a greyhound but could probably move

2 short neck, fine, showing too much daylight, lacking second thigh. Nice to see the wither on this pic though and topline is better

Proof that dogs can look very different on a different day and frozen in the moment.

Come on Cartman - have a go! Don't be shy :p

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back