The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Knocked Up Toe......

alfyn

Ban puppy farmers
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Poppy damaged her toe a couple of days ago.She's not lame on it,but the swelling hasn't gone down yet.There's no heat in it.

I've cut the nail as far back as i can without making it bleed,she's had arnica,& is now on Rimadyl.

i just wondered what advice any of you could give me ?

Thanks in advance

Debs :thumbsup:

DSCF2421.jpg

DSCF2424.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Poppy that does look swollen, sorry I haven't any advice if it was me I would probably nip her to the vet and see if she needs an xray for a break, or an anti-inflammatories jab :)

Thats why I'm my vets best customer :lol:

my 10 year old lurcher knocked her toe up 8 years ago and apart from knocking it once more after the first time she still as a swollen toe today,the vets at the time said there was nothing they could do but remove the toe if it caused her problems,and the swelling was boney tissue (carnt remember the exact words he used :wacko: )that protected the joint ,she as been fine with it over the last 8 years.

hope poppys ok :wub: :huggles:

doesnt look to bad from the picture, if you apply a linament such as Radial M-R that will help the tissie heal and redue the swelling.

in the long term you'll probably find it leaves a slight swelling that will never go but as Trish said after a few weeks it probably wont cause her any pain/stress ect and you might never have any problem with it again.

the main thing is keep the nail on that toe as short as possible this lessons the chance of further injurie.

Dippy did something similer Debs and had a small undetected fracture (that the vets missed) that healed on its own and she has a permanent swelling and damage to her nail cos of this.

The xrays (once I got them to finally do them) shows she now has degenerative bone disease.

If it was me I'd take her to be checked out too.

My young dog, Josh, had this last summer and went in for x-rays and they couldn't seem to find a diagnosis. They injected steroid into the underneath of the toe which didn't do anything at all and then they wanted to repeat it again a fortnight later and I put my foot down and said no because I'm not a fan of anaesthetics/steroids. In the end he was only allowed short walks on leads, no running and jumping upstairs etc (not easy with a 12 month old boy!) and I put him on Denes Greenleaf tablets which really helped. You should also keep an eye on the skin between his toes because I found Josh's became inflamed where it rubbed against the next toe. I put Calendula cream on which healed the sores. I don't know whether this is any help but hope she's better soon.

Dobs knocked his up as a pup, vet gave him prednisalone and I was to rub linament on it as often as possible. It was just a slight tear of the joint capsule and he was left with slight callusing of the area. After a 10 week rest period he was allowed to run again but I was warned it could become inflammed again. When he did run it did swell slightly again at which the vet gave me 2 options, rest him again for a further 10 weeks or continue running him to encourage a larger callus of the area.

As the toe wasn't sore like it had been I chose to continue running him again and it resolved very quickly.

It's worth taking them to a decent vet to establish whether it's the joint capsule alone thats tore or if there's any ligament damage incase further treatments needed e.g. stitching of the ligament. Like Mark says I think it's important to keep the nail short to prevent it exascerbating in the future.

Hope Poppys better soon. :luck:

alfyn said:
Poppy  damaged her toe a couple of days ago.She's not lame on it,but the swelling hasn't gone down yet.There's no heat in it.I've cut the nail as far back as i can without making it bleed,she's had arnica,& is now on Rimadyl.

i just wondered what advice any of you could give me ?

Thanks in advance

Debs :thumbsup:

DSCF2421.jpg

DSCF2424.jpg

I think a Vet should advice in all cases but......

To me it looks like a Broken toe

If it was a Racing dog would advise to have the toe Pin fired.

As a pet have it amputated

Could be broken or just dislocated but I'd get it checked at the vet. A dislocated toe can be re set, I don't know what they'd do for a broken toe.

Thanks everyone for the tips,& thanks to those of you who pm'ed me :thumbsup:

i had taken Pops to the vets,which is why i know it's a knocked up toe,not broken!

The swelling is starting to go down a bit now & she certainly doesn't seem a bit bothered about it.

Thanks again

Debs

Hi Debbie just seen this!!! poor little poppy darlin' hope she will be ok

Big kisses and hugs from me and Finny :*

The best thing to do is to massage it, as this helps the circulation and helps the swelling to go down you can use linament or something similal its the action that helps as much as anything.

My lurcher Hebe dislocated her toe a couple of years ago, after a few weeks rest it was fine but every now & then she knocks it again, usually when doing "hand brake turns" when running. I give her a few days course of Ruta Grav & Arnica homoeopathic tablets & she is fine again. Till the next time :b

I hope Poppy is better soon.

galty said:
kris said:
pin firing?is it still legal?i know its banned in horses didnt know it was still done for dogs :blink: http://www.horse-injuries-and-therapy.com/...dpinfiring.html

The other option is amputation.

It's interesting how differing people's opinions are to treatment, my vet (experienced greyhound vet) was the person who examined my lad's toe and gave me advice / treatment. However when I mentioned to some grey trainers his injury there immediate response was pin-firing and amputation. Personally, I find this attitude a little gun-ho but I suppose they've got differing agendas to my own.

Out of curiosity, what is the indication for pin-firing? Only I was led to believe it was a treatment that was used to release ligaments that had become tethered subsequent to a fracture healing? I ask because I couldn't understand why they thought this was a suitable treatment for a sprung toe?

wild whippies said:
galty said:
kris said:
pin firing?is it still legal?i know its banned in horses didnt know it was still done for dogs :blink: http://www.horse-injuries-and-therapy.com/...dpinfiring.html

The other option is amputation.

It's interesting how differing people's opinions are to treatment, my vet (experienced greyhound vet) was the person who examined my lad's toe and gave me advice / treatment. However when I mentioned to some grey trainers his injury there immediate response was pin-firing and amputation. Personally, I find this attitude a little gun-ho but I suppose they've got differing agendas to my own.

Out of curiosity, what is the indication for pin-firing? Only I was led to believe it was a treatment that was used to release ligaments that had become tethered subsequent to a fracture healing? I ask because I couldn't understand why they thought this was a suitable treatment for a sprung toe?

I only retort from what I have experaniced with RACING dogs.

Had a Bitch back in the early ninties.(AMERISH)

Broke a toe at MK.

Was not there to see race when read comments of race when at kennels 2 days later told trainer she must be injured to run a race like that.

Two days later was told the toe had swollen

Diganosed BROKEN

Two options PIN FIRED OR AMPUTAT

Asked about both options and after effects.

Amputation....Bitch was an out and out railer Take off the toe could not handle the bends as well as before.

Pinfired... Extrem discomfot for 24/48 hours help with pain killers.

Dog race for another 2 years till suffered a Gras injury and died at 14 unmulaited

That is my experiance

Dont need links about horses aa I know sweet F all about them

couldnt find out the legal situation for dogs only horses.my apologies :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back