The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Litters ......

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
what makes a puppy farmer....well, its not always how many litters per year, but how many litters per bitch, and how often she gets mated, ie every season. how much care that gets put into a litter, and whether that care continues after the sale of the pup. so many farmers miss detection because they dont register their litters. the kc has limits as to how many litters per bitch are allowed (6) and you can register up to 3 litters a year before they require you to become a registered breeder.

ways to spot them...

reluctant to show you the pups parents

asking about money straight off

not offering papers, though they say theyre pedigree etc etc

reluctant to show you the pups environment

of course you do get timewasters with a litter, but good breeders dont care and keep the pups until a good home does come up. a dodgy breeder would prefer to drop the price just to get shot of the pup. another clue, which can be seen in freeads, is when one person is trying to shift pups, a bitch whos had a litter (defo the dam) and sometimes an adult intact male (chances are either dad, or a dog thats no good to be a dad)

im glad that both my pups breeders care about my pups still...but what mattered to me is they gave me what i asked for....a pup with a sound temperament.....i dont care if they race/show etc....cos they are pets..... but it did matter that they could be trusted with my son and luckily they gave me exactly what i wanted :thumbsup:

Don't agree about the papers thing myself, infact I'd be more impressed going to a breeder who refused me papers for a pet quality dog. A lot of folk these days will go looking for pups that are KC registered as they think this is some kind of guarantee that the breeder is reputable.

wild whippies said:
A lot of folk these days will go looking for pups that are KC registered as they think this is some kind of guarantee that the breeder is reputable.

I agree with you there .........Flicking through some Kennel club "Breed record suppliments", I can see bitches who have had around 30 puppies from 4 litters befor they are even 7 years old :( .........So on average this works out, that normally a bitch isn't bred from under the age of 2 .........so then these poor girls have been bred from every year after the age of 2 for 4 consecutive years (in theory of course) ........I know of problems in some Whippet lines (be it showing, coursing and racing lines) .......The worst being the Auto Immune .........The responsible breeders are trying their best to eradicate these life destroying illneses by tracing where the problems have arose from, but the normal Joe Blogs really dosn't see further than having a litter of puppies .........

I would expect people who are on the ball would read the breed supplement yeh - other than that you'd have trouble finding out how many litters these kind of folk breed.

~whitecross whippets~ said:
you mean people read the breed supplement??? :eek:   :lol:   :thumbsup:
Oh yes and some of us maintain our own whippet database. Which is the only reason that I read it. I've got them going back to 1900 - well I'm minus one decade 1910-1919 I think that it is.

BeeJay said:
Oh yes and some of us maintain our own whippet database. Which is the only reason that I read it. I've got them going back to 1900 - well I'm minus one decade 1910-1919 I think that it is.

See its interesting stuff for us Whippet spotters ......hey BeeJay ??? :D

Vicky said:
I would expect people who are on the ball would read the breed supplement yeh - other than that you'd have trouble finding out how many litters these kind of folk breed.

Correct there you :thumbsup: ......another word for being on the ball is just .............plain nosey lol .......

What a set of Anoraks you are :lol: :lol: Just off to look at the Avon catalogue now :- "

BeeJay said:

Did the dogs eat those Barb (w00t)

Strike Whippets said:
BeeJay said:

It's all very anorak. What's slightly worrying is that I can chat about litters and breeding for well ages with like minded folks. It's fascinating. Takes all sorts I suppose.

BeeJay said:
Strike Whippets said:
BeeJay said:

It's all very anorak. What's slightly worrying is that I can chat about litters and breeding for well ages with like minded folks. It's fascinating. Takes all sorts I suppose.

I knew it :lol: :teehee:

*Lesley* said:
BeeJay said:

Did the dogs eat those Barb (w00t)

LOL no I just haven't got my hands on them yet. I started the database because I wanted to trace back a 10 gen pedigree for Woody. That's how everyone I know who's got one started. Shame that I can't get one for Woody can only get to 9 gens. It's actually fascinating. Honest. :b

BeeJay said:
Strike Whippets said:
BeeJay said:

No like all anoraks it stems from passion ........The more passionate you are about something, the more you research, learn and study it :thumbsup: .........Thats why its so sickening to see people just churning out litter after litter ......as some may seem knowledgable, but they arn't ........

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back