The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Litters ......

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Strike Whippets said:
It's all very anorak. What's slightly worrying is that I can chat about litters and breeding for well ages with like minded folks. It's fascinating. Takes all sorts I suppose.

No like all anoraks it stems from passion ........The more passionate you are about something, the more you research, learn and study it :thumbsup: .........Thats why its so sickening to see people just churning out litter after litter ......as some may seem knowledgable, but they arn't ........

As I'm inputting the info into to my datase certain things cause me to raise an eyebrow. Father daughter (etc) matings, the number of times one dog appears in the 5 gen ped, the number of litters that some breeders are ............. well churning out, the number of puppies that some bitches produce. And one of the things that strikes me that the breeders who are doing such things aren't producing champions or very successful dogs.

I'm just thinking of the unwanted whippets that are advertised on here needing another home. If only they were harder to get hold of.

Interesting stuff this pedigree, genes etc ....thing :) ......I guess its like us though ......interbreds became weaker with abnormalities....the smaller the gene pool, the more problems will arise ........and if over bred the "female" WILL produce weaker offspring due to the overload on her bodies resorces .........God this is interesting stuff ........

BeeJay said:
I'm just thinking of the unwanted whippets that are advertised on here needing another home.  If only they were harder to get hold of.

I think as a breed they are hard to get hold of :blink: .......but really if some are over breeding them then I guess it'll make them easier to get hold of :(

Personally, I think the breed databases are very interesting and every KC dog would be screwed without the 'anoraks' who compile them.

I love the non-ped one on here, not just to look at my own dogs lineage but everyone elses as well. I think a ped one would get a lot of hits if it was on here too but what I would really love to see is both somehow connected to pictures of the dogs from way back when.

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it.

Oscar Wilde :thumbsup:

wild whippies said:
Personally, I think the breed databases are very interesting and every KC dog would be screwed without the 'anoraks' who compile them.I love the non-ped one on here, not just to look at my own dogs lineage but everyone elses  as well. I think a ped one would get a lot of hits if it was on here too but what I would really love to see is both somehow connected to pictures of the dogs from way back when.

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it.

Oscar Wilde  :thumbsup:

Judy has got a fabbo database with all (Judy?) the peddie racers in it. She was at one point adding photos of the dogs to hers.

I agree that it would be lovely to be able to see the dogs behind my own. I love talking to the racers that have been in the game for decades as they can remember what the dogs looked like and ran like. Which ones were really good because the competition was so hard for them.

BeeJay said:
I'm just thinking of the unwanted whippets that are advertised on here needing another home.  If only they were harder to get hold of.

That got me thinking :unsure: when I decided to get a whippet I had such a hard time finding one, granted I wasn't on K9 then, do you think that more come up on K9 now than before I got here because they seem to be more available now or looking for new homes,??or is it that I just didn't have K9 so didn't know about them :unsure:

The anorak thing was just a joke :p I find my own dogs pedigrees really interesting :b :teehee:

Last edited by a moderator:
*Lesley* said:
I find my own dogs pedigrees really interesting :b   :teehee:
Well it is, for example it must be nice for you to see relatives of your Calleena sisters doing well in the show ring etc and maybe one day your own dogs will write history in their own right :luck: :)

I sarted mine the same way, trying to get a 10 gen. pedigree for our first 2 whippets.

Hey Barbara - can I have copies of the 1900's and the twenties pleease! I'm missing those.

When I have read them I think I will start on reading the phone book :lol:

ooooohhhh a pedigree data base on here would be amazing! I love looking through the non-ped data base :thumbsup:

please could we have one? please!! :D

Yes, I've been trying to do the 10 gen thing, don't think I'll get there though. Has anyone ever tried to do a photograph database, having historical photos of various lines would be really interesting too, I've just started in a small way with mine.

BeeJay said:
As I'm inputting the info into to my datase certain things cause me to raise an eyebrow.  Father daughter (etc) matings,
Yes, that started me thinking about all of this too :- " ;)

How do you get hold of breed supplements out of interest?

i had been working on my dogs pedigrees for ages,

first goal was a 10 generation,

next i wondered how many of the coloured lines came through Kaffir King and other great blacks

then tried to see just how far i could go back with my lots pedigree

finally i was adding pictures and noteing colours of all i could find

and i thought " i'll not keep it all in my computer as the thing keeps crashing " :thumbsup:

then we move the computer room and guess which file has gone missing......

:eek: :'( :'( :'( :rant: :rant: :rant: :'(

i started over again last week :wacko:

moriarte said:
How do you get hold of breed supplements out of interest?

You can get them from the Kennel Club web site Kennel Club

I tried to put a ling directly to the page but it won't let me so.....

Click on On-line shop at the top, then publications on the left and side, then books :sweating:

Strike Whippets said:
Interesting stuff this pedigree, genes etc ....thing  :)   ......I guess its like us though ......interbreds became weaker with abnormalities....the smaller the gene pool, the more problems will ariseGod this is interesting stuff ........
It is fascinating stuff - apparently humans have a much larger incidence of hereditary disease in comparison to other mammals, and the recent mapping of the chimpanzee genome may ultimately reveal why these have evolved. Current thinking is that certain genetic processes (gene transcription) allowed our very rapid evolution, but these may also be important "because these duplications can cause rearrangements in regions of the genome that in turn can cause disease. There are about two dozen diseases right now that we know are caused by this duplication-mediated rearrangement."

crucial 3% difference between chimp/human genome...

(OT but I the the bit about the failing Y chromosome (i.e., men) would be rendered useless in about 10 million years." made me laugh :oops: )

Judy said:
I sarted mine the same way, trying to get a 10 gen. pedigree for our first 2 whippets.
Hey Barbara - can I have copies of the 1900's and the twenties pleease! I'm missing those.

When I have read them I think I will start on reading the phone book  :lol:

Didn't I ever give you the 20's that I photocopied for you? Hmm somewhere there is a carrier bag with a big stack of paper in it. I wonder where it is ............... I think that the next time we'll meet up is at the Indy straight? So I should be able to find it by then. :b

As for the phone book you'll have to get another breed and start writing up a database for them. You've already done the non peddie one so that's covered. I find that one v interesting as they have theoretically got a huge gene pool and yet the dogs are inbred.

ive only got 3....the ones i got when i registered my dogs....never read them though....just liked looking at my name in black and white :lol: :thumbsup:

Strike Whippets said:
I agree with you Jacs ........Puppies should only be bred if the breeder actually feels they are A) booked/wanted puppies B) will improve their lines C) if the breeder dosn't keep 1 from that litter I really would queston WHY they bred that particular litter  :thumbsup:   ......but I guess there are always exceptions to the rule .......I hate nothing more though than seeing nearly full litters advertised in papers or say Epupz (sp never go on there) etc ......Knowing that the litter of puppies were bred first and homes considered afterwards  :(

i was lucky when i bred cassie (conway lady) the 1st time, as before they were born i had more than enough excellent homes for them, and it was the same with her next mating (2 years later).

and as you know homes are sorted out already for pennys (conway celt) 1st litter and she is not being mated until the end of next year. ( and i will be having pick of the bitchs. lol)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back