The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Liver Dog Treats Recipe?

jezza

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Silly question time :clown: I want to make some liver treats for dog training purposes and wondered if there were any types which were more suitable than others? By that I mean chicken, lamb, pig etc. which do most dogs prefer?

Also, when I cook them to dry them out do I cut them up first and how long do I cook them for? I know this has been posted before but I can't find it!

I always use lambs liver.

I chuck it in the blender,which makes me feel really :x & the smell of it turns my stomach over (w00t)

Then i add 2 eggs & enough wholemeal flour to make it into a disgusting thick gloop.Sometimes i chuck parsley & garlic in as well.

I put it onto greaseproof paper on a flat tray & pop it into the oven for about half an hour,or until it is well set

When it's cooled off,i cut it into chunks,bag it up & put in freezer.

I do mine so it still has some moisture in it & the dogs go crazy for it :thumbsup:

How much liver to 2 eggs please??!! :)) Gather you use enough flour to make a thick paste?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the recipe :D can this stuff be cooked so its dry enough to put in my pocket? Well I'm going to make some anyway and see what the doggies think to my culinary skills. I made them some cheese biscuits once but after trying one I ended up eating most because they were gorgeous :lol: don't think Ill be trying the liver ones though :teehee:

put raw liver on a baking tray oven on a low setting keep checking it will dry and go hard job done

I make liver cake for treats. Chloe loved it when she was doing her Good Citizen Dog Scheme awards.

Liver can be bought in 1lb packs from the supermarket. I usually go for the stronger, smellier liver, Ox or Pig. Blend it in the blender with two large eggs and several cloves of crushed garlic. Then put it in a bowl and mix in about a 1lb of flour (use plain or the thing will take over your microwave!). You can add in milk or water if the mixture is a bit dry or don't put in as much flour.

I then put it in a microwaveable dish (normally split into a couple of dishes). Cook in Microwave on full power for about 10 minutes until it appears to be hardening off (not too hard).

Once it has cooled it is dry enough to keep in your pocket. I freeze it as the recipe makes a big batch and i always find it's harder and dryer after coming out of the freezer. :thumbsup:

hi lucy,we usually boil the liver then cut into small pieces then bang in the oven on a low heat and turn over once until it looks dried out. our lot love it :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is how sad I am, I'm actually looking forward to going to morrisons tomorrow to get some ingredients (w00t)

pollyanna said:
How  much liver to 2 eggs please??!! :)) Gather you use enough flour to make a thick paste?I just buy a pack from the supermarket,& yes,just keep adding the flour until it's a real thick gloop!

One useful tip,once you've blended the liver & eggs :x , pour it into a large bowl before adding the flour,otherwise you'll have one hell of a job cleaning out the blender (w00t)

jok said:
Liver can be bought in 1lb packs from the supermarket.  I usually go for the stronger, smellier liver, Ox or Pig.  Blend it in the blender with two large eggs and several cloves of crushed garlic.  Then put it in a bowl and mix in about a 1lb of flour (use plain or the thing will take over your microwave!).  You can add in milk or water if the mixture is a bit dry or don't put in as much flour.I would use wholemeal flour as it's more easily digestible for dogs

alfyn said:
pollyanna said:
How  much liver to 2 eggs please??!! :)) Gather you use enough flour to make a thick paste?I just buy a pack from the supermarket,& yes,just keep adding the flour until it's a real thick gloop!

One useful tip,once you've blended the liver & eggs :x , pour it into a large bowl before adding the flour,otherwise you'll have one hell of a job cleaning out the blender (w00t)

jok said:
Liver can be bought in 1lb packs from the supermarket.  I usually go for the stronger, smellier liver, Ox or Pig.  Blend it in the blender with two large eggs and several cloves of crushed garlic.  Then put it in a bowl and mix in about a 1lb of flour (use plain or the thing will take over your microwave!).  You can add in milk or water if the mixture is a bit dry or don't put in as much flour.I would use wholemeal flour as it's more easily digestible for dogs

What i meant was don't use self-raising!

:oops: :oops: :oops: sorry Jo,i took it as plain flour as in white :b

Just excuse me,i'm having a bad day! :wacko:

jezza said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. This is how sad I am, I'm actually looking forward to going to morrisons tomorrow to get some ingredients  (w00t)
and I'm looking forward to going to Tesco - which is unusual for me cos I work there (w00t) :lol:

but great recipies, I'm definately going to do some :thumbsup:

:x Well that was fun, NOT :angry:

Nowhere in these instructions does it mention putting the lid on the blooming blender does it :b :- " 8)

The dogs have gobbled/licked up all they can find and I have to go back to the shops tomorrow :wacko:

I even dyed my hair brown last week, as I was sick of all the blonde jokes, it must be inbred :blink:

TC said:
:x Well that was fun, NOT  :angry:
Nowhere in these instructions does it mention putting the lid on the blooming blender does it  :b   :- "  8)

OMG, please tell me you are joking :wacko:

TC said:
Nowhere in these instructions does it mention putting the lid on the blooming blender does it  :b   :- "  8)

The dogs have gobbled/licked up all they can find and I have to go back to the shops tomorrow  :wacko:

I even dyed my hair brown last week, as I was sick of all the blonde jokes, it must be inbred  :blink:

LOL! I can't believe you didn't put the lid on as a matter of course!!! I haven't even got a blender but I think I would have put the lid on if I did have one!!! Duh!! :lol: :teehee:

dessie said:
TC said:

The dogs have gobbled/licked up all they can find and I have to go back to the shops tomorrow  :wacko:

I even dyed my hair brown last week, as I was sick of all the blonde jokes, it must be inbred  :blink:

LOL! I can't believe you didn't put the lid on as a matter of course!!! I haven't even got a blender but I think I would have put the lid on if I did have one!!! Duh!! :lol: :teehee:

Yes, Yes, I know. I got distracted by the gross sliminess that is liver :x

TC said:
dessie said:
TC said:

LOL! what are you like!!! I don't know how any dog owner can be squeamish and you an ex-Vet nurse!!!

dessie said:
TC said:
dessie said:
TC said:

LOL! what are you like!!! I don't know how any dog owner can be squeamish and you an ex-Vet nurse!!!

LOL! Less of the "ex" please, I still have letters after my name I'll have you know (w00t)

It's different when it's all congealed in the wafer thin plastic bags that butchers use :x Give me a warm one in an open cavity and I'm well away :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back