The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Looking For A Lurcher With Texture

Scottish Lind@

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have been searching for a lurcher to re-home, but it appears I could be waiting a long time as I think what I'm searching for is a greyhound/deerhound cross.

I am based in Aberdeenshire. Is there anyone who can help me find a breeder nearby - - or at least within 100 miles.

Hope I'm doing this right, I'm new to discussion groups. I read them a lot, but have never posted before.

Hi Linda

I think you are in the right place, just a bit late! Doxhope homed a 2 year old lurcher in Fife last week, and Brookspike just gave away the last of 8 deerhound/greyhound crosses from Yorkshire. (I realise that Yorkshire is a long way, but look in Brookspike's gallery for pictures!)

Good Luck and welcome to K9

Cerito

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, cerito

just a slight correction to that last post, it was bappit who re-homed the deerhound cross, I had just gone up there to have a look, nice dog, loved the bits of chichen rolls I sneaked it when bappit wasnt looking, but, she caught me and I was duly scolded. Bappit helps a lot up that way with lurcher rescues, she may be able to help, I will keep a look out down here too. :thumbsup:

Hi Lind@...good to have you here. :cheers:

Have you tried GAGAH in Aberdeen? Google search should get you site, very worthy re-homing done by them, and if they've nowt you fancy contact them for other links. :thumbsup:

Any other queries please PM me, do all I can to locate you a leggy hairy one! Might even find you a rescue to rehome:lol:

Its alright Dox (the dog will not forget you sneaking him a chicken roll - whether I forgive you spoiling him is another matter :rant: ) :teehee:

Have bumped up 'Looking for Puppy/yound dog' thread for you Lind@ to check out the handrear litter.

Hope its of interest...still let me know exactly what your after, and I'll do all I can :thumbsup:

bappit said:
Hi Lind@...good to have you here. :cheers:
Have you tried GAGAH in Aberdeen? Google search should get you site, very worthy re-homing done by them, and if they've nowt you fancy contact them for other links.  :thumbsup:

Any other queries please PM me, do all I can to locate you a leggy hairy one! Might even find you a rescue to rehome:lol:

Its alright Dox (the dog will not forget you sneaking him a chicken roll - whether I forgive you spoiling him is another matter :rant: ) :teehee:

Hi bappit,

I wonder if I might have already spoken to you on the phone? I've certainly been in touch with someone in Fife recently. I'm so delighted to see so many lovely dogs on these pages. And so very keen to have one of my own. I'm considering taking on a pup even though prevously I had imagined rehoming an older dog. I will keep looking in for more info.

And yes, I am on the waiting list with GAGAH. Also lovely people.

Cool Lind@, perhaps you spoke to Claire at St, Huberts Hound Rescue in Fife? Not me anyroad...nobody speaks to me :(

:lol: not even Doxhope...too busy pouring tea (in the plants and feeding my culinary efforts to the dogs), I only try to help Claire with her incredible, time consuming, selfless love of the hound breeds and their welfare as and when I can, for my heart lies with the deerhounds and their crosses. :wub:

Bide your time...we'll sort you out something to help you in your quest I'm sure, just bear with us. My first of the type well over 20 years ago, he was an ex-worker...well not as far as he was concerned! But thats another story, I'v never considered looking back...made mistakes and learnt from them...would always look to take in rescue dog 1st myself. :huggles:

In the meantime I'll go bump up other thread 'Otty the deerhound' which is well buried here, in case you've not found it, also if you go into Doxhope profile you will find link to his site Deerhounds and lurchers which I'm sure you'll find interesting. :thumbsup:

Keep in touch Lind@. :cheers:

DOXHOPE said:
Hi, ceritojust a slight correction to that last post, it was bappit who re-homed the deerhound cross, I had just gone up there to have a look, nice dog, loved the bits of chichen rolls I sneaked it when bappit wasnt looking, but, she caught me and I was duly scolded.  Bappit helps a lot up that way with lurcher rescues, she may be able to help, I will keep a look out down here too. :thumbsup:

Sorry Doxhope. Geting confused overwhose dog is whose!

Cerito

bappit said:
Cool Lind@, perhaps you spoke to Claire at St, Huberts Hound Rescue in Fife? Not me anyroad...nobody speaks to me :(  
:lol: not even Doxhope...too busy pouring tea (in the plants and feeding my culinary efforts to the dogs), I only try to help Claire with her incredible, time consuming, selfless love of the hound breeds and their welfare as and when I can, for my heart lies with the deerhounds and their crosses. :wub:  

Bide your time...we'll sort you out something to help you in your quest I'm sure, just bear with us. My first of the type well over 20 years ago, he was an ex-worker...well not as far as he was concerned! But thats another story, I'v never considered looking back...made mistakes and learnt from them...would always look to take in rescue dog 1st myself. :huggles:

In the meantime I'll go bump up other thread 'Otty the deerhound' which is well buried here, in case you've not found it, also if you go into Doxhope profile you will find link to his site Deerhounds and lurchers which I'm sure you'll find interesting. :thumbsup:

Keep in touch Lind@. :cheers:

Yep her name was certainly Claire. Lots of big-dog lovers in Fife then. I will keep checking in here as this group is awash with info.

I'm trying to add a photo of my ideal dog. After waiting for the 'perfect moment' to bring a dog into the family, I'm determined to be awfully fussy about the dog I choose. Can you tell me by looking at the photo if this dog is a deerhound lurcher?

Can you tell me by looking at the photo if this dog is a deerhound lurcher?

It's a really beautiful hound, whose is it?

Another 2 sites to aid your search are www.lurcher.org & www.dogpages.org

which act as a sort of dating agency for lurchers & for any dog needing a home.

They also list rescue homes & the hounds in them, some of which are up your way.

Best wishes

It's a really beautiful hound, whose is it?

Another 2 sites to aid your search are www.lurcher.org & www.dogpages.org

which act as a sort of dating agency for lurchers & for any dog needing a home.

They also list rescue homes & the hounds in them, some of which are up your way.

Best wishes

Cheers Loopy,

The photo is a pic of a dog from deep inside the GAGAH website. I don't know whose dog it is or how old the photo is. A beauty though. Thanks for the info. I'll have a browse at thse pages.

Sweet looking dog. :wub:

Think my best guess on your photo would be that the bulk of this dogs genotype has come from Beardie or Bedlington cross greyhound/collie also looks smaller than a 1st cross deerhound/greyhound...normally turns out, but there is always so much variation, and often its the generation after that 1st cross that more throws this type depending what its put to of course (in my opinion), hopefully the more knowledgeable will be able to give more accurate information. :thumbsup:

I find a large amount of longdogs are 'described' as deerhound crosses, as it seems to be a general blanket to throw over a broken/rough coated hound - of any size!

Is it a dog or bitch you would prefer?

I find a large amount of longdogs are 'described' as deerhound crosses, as it seems to be a general blanket to throw over a broken/rough coated hound - of any size!

Is it a dog or bitch you would prefer?

I imagined a bitch, as I have a garden I enjoy working in  - - and a dog would pee all over the bushes!! But really not fussed to any great extent.
I believe the greyhound genes in a lurcher keep the agressive trait at bay. I could be under a false impression here though. Maybe its only the true greyhound that is so peacful in nature.

Cant go wrong with the gentle deerhound nature (not that I'm bias in any way :- " ), also the lovely greyhound nature, in a x of the two is a wonderful combination.

Must admit I prefer the dog's nature :wub: (I think they 'bond' better to owner, and are soppier generally) - the bitches can be a little more detached and self contained, but thats only my experience.

Sure you'll soon be pottering around with your ideal hound :huggles: .

Cool avatar BTW 8)

Hi cerito, thats ok, :huggles:

Miss bappit, I never poured any tea on the plants, you know my sensitive and gentle nature dictates I couldnt be cruel to any living creature :lol: :lol:

Lovely cup of tea that, :huggles: just in case I bump into you at the Moffat show :cheers:

Nice picture linda, another example of how some lurchers with deerhound or Bedlington can resemble each other, I have also seen some beardy collie crosses that resembled that one.

Better be bloomin' tea I found in the plants when you'd gone :rant: Flippin' thought you were refined an all :lol:

Thanks for everyones help re my message. Not quite sure on the etiquette on community chat sites, but I want to keep active in this discussion. I'm still looking...

If I wanted to discuss peoples opinions on insurance - do I start a new thread folks?

Hi Lind@, had'nt forgotten you! Sometimes takes a wee while to find the right dog, your looking in all the right places :luck: ...and another half dozen usually turn up once you've found what your looking for :p sod's law thing! Just keep adding to this or any other thread.

There is a thread on insurance, in general dog related discussion page 4 at the moment, but obviously will move further in as time goes on... there were a fair few posts on it, quite interesting. As I remember a lot of folk thought Marks and Spencer were offering a good policy. But you could test the pulse by posting again I guess if you cant find it, or want to say ask specifically about lurcher policies in this section?

Dont worry about doing anything wrong like posting something already discussed or posting in wrong section - think moderaters will keep you right by moving it to appropriate place if they feel its in wrong section etc., :thumbsup: Hope thats of some use.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back