The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Looking For A Lurcher With Texture

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
bappit said:
Hi Lind@, had'nt forgotten you! Sometimes takes a wee while to find the right dog, your looking in all the right places :luck: ...and another half dozen usually turn up once you've found what your looking for :p sod's law thing! Just keep adding to this or any other thread.
Think there is a thread on insurance, maybe look in general dog related discussion which there were a fair few posts on. As I remember a lot of folk thought Marks and Spencer were offering a good policy. But you could test the pulse by posting again I guess if you cant find it, or want to refresh the info.

Dont worry about doing anything wrong like posting something already discussed or posting in wrong section - think moderaters will keep you right by moving it to appropriate place if they feel its in wrong section etc.,  :thumbsup: Hope thats of some use.

Ta for your help. I'm trying not to appear desperate - - but want to keep in touch with 'the people in the know'.

I've waited years for the time to be right. I can wait a little longer.

This site has been so helpful. A whole new world out there!!

What kind of size and colour were you thinking of in the dog your looking for Lind@?

Stupid questions perhaps but dependant on your mental image of the ideal dog your after would help us to help you if we all know what the benchmark is - what kind of size to the shoulder would you be thinking of? Would it have to be the colour of the one you posted photo of? Any other details you can supply regarding the ideal :thumbsup:

I don't think colour is as important to me as handsome good looks - and great sense of humour... woops, wrong site!

I love the look of the images attached. (All photos are grabbed from other peoples sites - apologies for theft). Your own avatar image is of a lovely dog. They have the most doleful expressions.

I'd love to have a deerhound / wolfhound but I imagine you'd need to be a real dog expert to own one. I live out in the country, but how big would your car have to be?? A nice greyhound cross seems the best option.

Another stipulation I guess would be a dog that didn't need hours of walking. I'm always at home as I work from a home office, but I have problems with my back and though I need to excercise, I wouldn't do well being dragged along the road behind a straining dog!! Yhat doesn't rule out a wolf/deerhound cross does it?

Thanks Lind@ :thumbsup:

All helps narrow down the search of what your after...they are lovely pictures you found. Would'nt say you need to be an expert to have a deer or wolf hound (I get away with it :lol: ), cant say much about the wolfhounds they are not in my personal experience, my bitch in avatar is 31" to shoulder and is classed as the smaller type, she's fitted into all kinds of clapped out cars I've had and does'nt really take up much house space (sprawled on the my bed is another matter).

As adults the deerhounds and their crosses though strong do not usually pull on the lead, prefering to amble along beside you...though that is a generalisation sometimes with rescues not a lot of work has been put into basic training, but not a lot is usually needed to get them trained.

I also work mainly from home and the bitch I have here is happy to get 20 mins walk in the morning and whatever is going of an evening (try for about an hour - more for me than her ;) ), try to get some free running into that for her, though sometimes if pushed she's fine on just another 20 minutes or so...rest of the time she just chills. -_- although I have plans to add a younger model soon, but that youngin' will fit also into that exercise plan. :b well thats my plan (w00t)

Asked on colour because there can be a wide spectrum in the crosses :teehee:

Me again Lind@! Still on case for you, never fear. Think there is a type you will like on GAL site, is a vetran though, but thought you may like a look - she's called Rosie. :wub:

Which led to tears being shed by me - will post a pic (sorry did'nt scan it, just a photo of a photo) of a gentle sweet bitch I had of the same name, thought you may be interested to see her. 'pedigree unknown'...though the consensus of opinion was she was deer/grey 1st cross, which was what you originally thought you were after.

View attachment 19557

RIP Rosie

Dont let this put you off - but going to post pic of my Deerhound Cairn to illustrate how much space she can take up at times! Honestly rest of the time justs 'folds' to fit whatever space is available.

Cairn_hotel.JPG

Hi Lind@,

I recognise that white lurcher! Name is Reuben, he was at Salisbury Dog's Trust and was dog I went to visit specifically! Lovely chap but NOT cat friendly. Fortunately he found a home shortly after my visit. Hope it worked out for him.

There are lots on www.lurcher.org at the mo so please have a look. If you pass homecheck they will help transport doglet to you if it's miles away. I'm sure there's a hairy or 2 there if you trawl down thru them.

My Lupin whippet x beddie/grey gets about 20 mins - half an hour offlead in the morning & then goes to sleep + maybe a trot round town on lead at lunch if I go out (followed by more sleep) & about an hour in the evening offlead. I don't take pup in mornings cos takes too long to get him to car which has to be parked some way away & back but took him round town with her yesterday (chaos) and take him offlead in evening to place where cars aren't a danger. My back & legs are a bit knackered so stop for the odd rest on the way. I work from home at moment and find they are quite happy curling up to sleep under my desk or chair.

If you can take lurcher to safe place for offlead you will be fine cos they exercise themselves. I find pavements bad news for my back so sympathise.

Rosie was very beautiful Bappit. So sorry she's left you.

Loopy said:
Hi Lind@,

I recognise that white lurcher! Name is Reuben, he was at Salisbury Dog's Trust and was dog I went to visit specifically! Lovely chap but NOT cat friendly. Fortunately he found a home shortly after my visit. Hope it worked out for him.

Actually altho he looks very like Reuben, white lurcher might be Tom from LL & Dogpages who also didn't like cats. Think he also has home now.

Btw Bappit Cairn is glorious!

Lind@ there is a lovely lurcher called Snippy in Ireland mentioned on Puppy/Yound dog thread! Praps you could go there on a mini break? Only 2yrs and a lovely shaggy grey type. Yummy!

HEY BAPPIT DEARY,

THAT BITCH LOOKS SO COMFORTABLE AND CONTENTED THERE, IVE GOT A PICTURE JUST LIKE THAT ON THE WALL

Last edited by a moderator:
Dox. DEAR!!! :oops:

You may have a print like that, but these Scottish bitches take more than a mere wall decoration to make them comfortable and contented :lol:

Thanks Loopy for your kind comments on my the bitch pics I'v posted :huggles:

Awww! Can't imagine a dog that size getting into anything smaller than a King size bed... But prepared to beleive you!

Am checking up on Rosie. How did I miss her. Thanks for the lead. (pardon the pun!)

Loopy said:
Loopy said:
Hi Lind@,

Actually altho he looks very like Reuben, white lurcher might be Tom from LL & Dogpages who also didn't like cats. Think he also has home now.

Yep, his picture was snaffled from the Lurcher link site. His name is Tom. I have neglected to mention there is a cat in our household. And though he doesn't live in the house, I wouldn't want him eaten.

Loopy said:
Lind@ there is a lovely lurcher called Snippy in Ireland mentioned on Puppy/Yound dog thread! Praps you could go there on a mini break? Only 2yrs and a lovely shaggy grey type. Yummy!

He is a lovely dog. Will investigate. Thanks for your help.

Scottish Lind@ said:
Loopy said:

He is a lovely dog. Will investigate. Thanks for your help.

Great name, lovely dog. But I really can't go as far as Ireland - though was tempted. Loopy - I'm grateful for your help pointing me to the link.

I love this forum.

Hi Lindy,

bappits right about the space thing, although deerhounds are a tall breed, it is amazing how small an area they can curl up in :cheers:

oooooo another Aberdeenshire member on K9!!!! and a GAGAH supporter too :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hello - and welcome!

Can't help with your dog-search but best of luck. We have a 'huggle' of dogs... :wub:

zilloot said:
oooooo another Aberdeenshire member on K9!!!!  and a GAGAH supporter too :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:
Hello - and welcome!

Can't help with your dog-search but best of luck.  We have a 'huggle' of dogs... :wub:

Hi Zilloot,

Great to know I'm not alone up here!!

Just checked out your website. What a great selection of paintings - what talent! I've bookmarked it in my faves for later.

bappit said:
Dont let this put you off - but going to post pic of my Deerhound Cairn to illustrate how much space she can take up at times! Honestly rest of the time justs 'folds' to fit whatever space is available.View attachment 19558

Brilliant picture - big hairy dog on fresh white bedding!!! We must love 'em :wub: :wub:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back