The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Looking For A Lurcher With Texture

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
DOXHOPE said:
Hi Lindy,bappits right about the space thing, although deerhounds are a tall breed, it is amazing how small an area they can curl up in :cheers:

BAPPITS RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING! I think you meant to say DEAR Dox: :teehee:

Yes anslinmcg :oops: Cairn may have been taking the policy of the dog friendly hotel a little too far :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great name, lovely dog. But I really can't go as far as Ireland - though was tempted. Loopy - I'm grateful for your help pointing me to the link.

I love this forum. QUOTE

You dont necessarily have to go to Ireland personally, my rescue lurcher came from Ireland......I had lots of phone chats with his Irish foster mum, full description of his nature, photo's on line, then a greyhound courier picked him up from there, brought him over here, and I met him at Junction 29 on the M1 at something horribly early in the morning, and brought him home!

Last edited by a moderator:
suzeanna said:
Great name, lovely dog. But I really can't go as far as Ireland - though was tempted. Loopy - I'm grateful for your help pointing me to the link.I love this forum. QUOTE

You dont necessarily have to go to Ireland personally, my rescue lurcher came from Ireland......I had lots of phone chats with his Irish foster mum, full description of his nature, photo's on line, then a greyhound courier picked him up from there, brought him over here, and I met him at Junction 29 on the M1 at something horribly early in the morning, and brought him home!

Lucky you. I've just been told by Gal (who rehome in Scotland only) that they don't rehome in my area of Scotland!!

Sorry to learn that Lind@ - I really did'nt know that about GAL, thought they covered the whole of Scotland, know they like to keep an eye on where the dogs go etc., but did'nt know there was a limit to area. :oops:

There's a dog out there with my name on it I'm sure.

The more I read up on the breeds, the more tempted I am towards the big wolfhound. But I worry that they seem to suffer from a lot of health problems. I realise they don't live as long as other dogs, but wonder if anyone has advice on this subject?

SKC today would have been good for a look for you Lind@ (hound day), you could have talked to the owners of the wolfies etc. They do have a breed rescue as far as I know if you still wanted a 'pre-owned' one!

Personally I cannot see past the Scottish Deerhound (sure you've never been able to tell that :- " ), they are on the whole not effected by a lot of the ailments found in the wolfhounds - bone cancer, cardio problems etc., and I believe have a longer lifespan (Doxhope for example, has one at the moment of 11, - says she's like a spring chicken). I prefer the coat and grace of the deerhound and most importantly the temprament. Again there is a breed rescue for Deerhounds, PM me if you would like the number.

Actually dont know if the Countryside Festival at Glamis this coming weekend would be of interest to you Lind@? There's loads on at it, and Forfar way would'nt be too far a hike would it? The lurcher show is on the Saturday, would maybe give you a better idea seeing quite a few in the same place and talking to the owners-may help your quest if you could make it.

bappit said:
Actually dont know if the Countryside Festival at Glamis this coming weekend would be of interest to you Lind@? There's loads on at it, and Forfar way would'nt be too far a hike would it? The lurcher show is on the Saturday, would maybe give you a better idea seeing quite a few in the same place and talking to the owners-may help your quest if you could make it.

oh fantastic. I will try to go along. Thanks for the tip. It would be good to meet some lurcher owners.

Hi Everyone,

Been lurking down in Cornwall for a few days escape from work & teenage boys & got back just in time for visit to dentist Ugh!

We (Lupe, Zef & myself) are a bit knackered from enjoying the company of my friend & her 10 hounds day & night + I find the 150 mile each way drive is fairly exhausting (must be getting old).

ScottishLind@ you may find someone that looks wolfy but is a cross and will hopefully live longer than a pure Wolfhound. The Irish rescues certainly do ship them over here so worth asking about Mr Snip if you like him. I will keep on the lookout for you.

Hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend? Must check my lottery ticket to see if I can have a permanent one! Bappit your doglets ARE beautiful so no need for thanks.

Countryside Festival sounds great, hope you all enjoy it. Think a drive that long would just about finish me off tho!

Meet Barney, who is definitely NOT looking for a home, but is a wolfie x so I thought you'd like to see him. :wub: :wub:

980781b6.jpg

56dc5fcc.jpg

19f7c07c.jpg

With his dad:

b6fa1fe3.jpg

e601c54d.jpg

49e2556a.jpg

He really is a gentle giant, absolutely devoted to his mum, Lynda. He's about the size of a very large greyhound, or just a tad bigger; definitely stockier; very active but also very laid back in true lurcher fashion. He's a lovely lovely boy. :wub: :wub: o:)

Check out this website for more on the Irish Wolfhound. :thumbsup:

What a handsome dog. A lovely colour too and what a great name. The links are invaluable, not least for the insight to real life with big dogs!

Cheers

Hello how about conrad?

Conrad.jpg

Conrad is a very attractive lurcher who looks like a small Wolfhound. We have no history for him as he was a stray, but we think it likely he is housetrained as he is clean in his kennel. He is quite playful.

Must have Secure fencing, no small furries.

Dovecotewell, by Glencaple

Dumfries. Scotland. DG1 4RH

Telephone: 01387 770210

E-mail: info@caninerescue.co.uk

Wow - Barney is beauuuuuutiful and looks so cuddly!

Conrad looks great Danielle, hope he finds a loving home very soon!

Can you do a close up & try posting him on Homes Wanted section of www.lurcher.org as well cos LL has quite a few Scottish members who might be interested if he doesn't find a home on here.

I do love the hairy types but 2 is my limit at the mo & have 4 cats!

oooooooooo he looks perfect for you, gorgeous :wub:

daniellew said:
Hello how about conrad?
Conrad.jpg

Conrad is a very attractive lurcher who looks like a small Wolfhound. We have no history for him as he was a stray, but we think it likely he is housetrained as he is clean in his kennel. He is quite playful.

Must have Secure fencing, no small furries.

Dovecotewell, by Glencaple

Dumfries. Scotland. DG1 4RH

Telephone: 01387 770210

E-mail: info@caninerescue.co.uk

He's lovely. I can put up a fence, but I do have a cat who could ignore a dog, but not one that was keen to eat him. I hope he finds a happy family - I'm sure he will.

FYI. I made enquiries about the lovely Conrad (above). He has found a new home as an agility dog. A happy new start for him.

Lind@, re; The Scottish Countryside Festival at Glamis - the lurcher racing and show start at 1pm Saturday if your still thinking of going for a look and chat to the lurcher owners, it is £10 entry but there is loads going on besides the dogs - Devils Horsemen etc - they have a website (sorry dont know how to do links :oops: ) www.scotlandscountrysidefestival.co.uk :thumbsup:

bappit said:
Lind@, re; The Scottish Countryside Festival at Glamis - the lurcher racing and show start at 1pm Saturday if your still thinking of going for a look and chat to the lurcher owners, it is £10 entry but there is loads going on besides the dogs - Devils Horsemen etc - they have a website (sorry dont know how to do links :oops: ) www.scotlandscountrysidefestival.co.uk :thumbsup:

Thanks to you. I had checked it out on the web but there was no mention of cost or the timetable. In the end, I didn't make it anyway as has to go to airport to pick up OH, right in middle of the day.

Ah well -- wasn't meant!

Still looking, but quite prepared to wait.

Good range of lurchers and sighthounds there Lind@, pity you were otherwise engaged...personally I'd have left him stranded at the airport in favour of the show :oops: wonder why I'm single :lol:

Dunno if you ever saw a photo of my friends unreg. Deerhound Bella as a younger pup (she's on Otty the Deerhound thread somewhere), but will add a picture of her at Glamis at the weekend taken after the showing was over when she was meeting the judges own dog. Thought you might like a look at a couple of the texured ones :cheers:

s_dog___Bella_Glamis_05.JPG

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back