The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Luna the whippet puppy

Ida Algren

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Everyone,
I'm Ida and I'm a first time dog owner of Luna. She is absolutely adorable and has settled in really well.
Looking forward to reading tips on puppies generally and on whippets in particular :)

Ida

Attachments

• IMG_20200422_163953_resized_20200424_083818204.jpg
    IMG_20200422_163953_resized_20200424_083818204.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 253
Thank you all :)
Any advice on how to make sure she gets enough exercise and wears herself out? I'm sure I've heard that puppy should only go for short walks -5 min per month of age? Also now the weather has turned cooler she's not exactly keen to go outside :-D

The 5 min per month guidance is for 'proper' lead walking or 'enforced' walking/running. If you take her out somewhere she can do plenty of sniffing around, looking around, saying hi to other people and dogs from a safe distance, a bit of training, and so forth, you can stay out a lot longer. After all, if you didn't take her out she'd probably be doing wall of death around the house!

Mental activity can be as tiring, or more tiring, than physical, so search online for some good mental games appropriate for her age. Books worth reading are The Puppy Primer by Patricia McConnell and Easy Peasy Puppy Squeezy by Steve Mann.

The 5 min per month guidance is for 'proper' lead walking or 'enforced' walking/running. If you take her out somewhere she can do plenty of sniffing around, looking around, saying hi to other people and dogs from a safe distance, a bit of training, and so forth, you can stay out a lot longer. After all, if you didn't take her out she'd probably be doing wall of death around the house!

Mental activity can be as tiring, or more tiring, than physical, so search online for some good mental games appropriate for her age. Books worth reading are The Puppy Primer by Patricia McConnell and Easy Peasy Puppy Squeezy by Steve Mann.

Thanks Judy - relieved to hear I don't have to stick to the 10 mins and I'll have a look at the suggested books! We have had moments of 'wall of death' where she's clearly been under stimulated!

Be aware that sometimes 'wall of death' can be the result of overstimulation as well as understimulation - and is a normal part of puppyhood anyway! Think of a young child coming home from a really exciting birthday party...;)

AWWWW....her pink pads and little tummy....that puppy chubbiness is adorable and sadly they grow out of it so quickly. What a pretty little girl she is.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back