The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lurchers And Racing Whippets In Ireland

Macha

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I thought it would be useful to have a general thread to list forthcoming events in Ireland ... if there's any event which several of us are going to or wish to discuss, someone may wish to start a thread specifically for that event, but this thread will list places, dates and contact info. of all lurcher events and whippet races we can find out about.

to start off:

National Country Fair, Emo Court near Portlaoise, Sun 5 June and Mon 6 June

phone: +353 (0)51 644687

organised by the Mid Antrim Working Terrier & Lurcher Club.

"the terrier and lurcher show and racing events are qualifiers for the main

UK Championships"

whippets are specifically mentioned on the webpages and you are invited

to "bring your terrier or whippet along". (Of course, those of us who

are in Northern Ireland don't have a holiday next Monday)

Shanes Castle medieval fair, Randalstown, co Antrim 11-12 June

whippet races provisionally scheduled for 12.30 each day in the main

arena and lots of other events of interest to the whole family

http://www.irishmedievalfestival.com/

info phone no is +44 (0)28 90483873

Tandragee, Co Armagh 2 July

crossroads between Castlewellan and Newry, Co Down, 23 July

Clonmel Game and Country Fair, Clonmel Racecourse, Co Tipperary

Mon 1 Aug 2005 - lurcher and whippet events commencing about 12.30-1pm

under the auspices of the Countryside Alliance, www.caireland.org

please do correct or add further details of these events and list any other similar events you know of

Hi Macha, i went to the National country fair in Emo on the sunday it was a well run show, it might have been a better example for you than Moira was because the rings were larger etc, My dog 'Torri' did quite well, she won the Lamping Lurcher Class and she also won the Under 23 " racing so it was a good day,

Im also going to the Medieval Country Fair this weekend coming, the lurcher events is being run by the Mid-Antrim Lurcher & Terrier Club and they normally run a good show, there is also Ferret Racing at it in the main arena so i might take my ferret as well,

this should be a good gamfair,

Who all is going to shanes castle? :)

I hope i get this in the right place but apologies if i haven't. I was at the Moira Fair and was very interested in the Lurcher racing and showing. I have two fairly big blue Lurcher dogs. I have never raced or showed them at all. Both are fit and strong but would know even less about racing than i do. Would i be OK to take them to Shanes Castle next weekend or would i just make a fool of myself ? I am thinking of the worst case where they might fight or something rather than race and possibly spoil someone elses day.

Hi Roger, i think you should go because shanes castle is a really good country fair, and your dogs would probably love it, if you think they might fight while racing then you can always muzzle them, you wont know unless you try :thumbsup:

so good luck, you will probably meet alot of us k9ers down there,lol :D

East Belfast Lurcher & Terrier Show & Racing.......Sun 7th August @ 1PM, Billy Neill Playing Fields, Comber Road, Dundonald.

Hi again ... well i went to Shanes Castle with the two boys and had a really great day. Everyone was very friendly with good advice freely given. The whole thing was very nicely run and i was delighted. Thanks to all !

Hi Roger01,glad you had a good day, i seen your 2 blue dogs they looked lovely and in good condition, how did you do in the showing with them? :)

also, there is a show this saturday 18 june 2005,

Its in Annaghmore,

Lurcher, terrier, and strong dog events with racing and weight pulling.

Show qualifiers for countrymans weekly champion of champions.

Show starts @ 1pm sharp, it is run by the Dublin Working Terrier Club.

The directions given are:

if you are coming down the m1 then you turn off at junction 13, drive for 1 mile past heatherlea petshop, then turn right on to TullyRuan Road, its up that road. :thumbsup:

Miss Madam said:
also, there is a show this saturday 18 june 2005, Its in Annaghmore,

Lurcher, terrier, and strong dog events with racing and weight pulling.

Show qualifiers for countrymans weekly champion of champions.

Show starts @ 1pm sharp, it is run by the Dublin Working Terrier Club.

The directions given are:

if you are coming down the m1 then you turn off at junction 13, drive for 1 mile past heatherlea petshop, then turn right on to TullyRuan Road, its up that road. :thumbsup:

is that the M1 from Belfast

will purebred whippets be welcome

any idea what time racing will start? (after the show?)

Hi Macha,

yes i think it would be the m1 from belfast as that is the only m1 i know of, i dont go that way as im from armagh and annaghmore/loughgall is only out the road from me, i go out the moy road.

there is always whippets welcome as there is always a whippet or whippet type class, im not sure if there is a separate racing class for them though, they might just have to race with the under 23" lurchers.

will you be going?

sorry 4got about u asking about racing time,lol

im not sure wat time as it doesnt say wat time on the flyer but i think it probably will follow after the showing as usual. :thumbsup:

Miss Madam said:
Hi Macha, yes i think it would be the m1 from belfast as that is the only m1 i know of, i dont go that way as im from armagh and annaghmore/loughgall is only out the road from me, i go out the moy road.

there is always whippets welcome as there is always a whippet or whippet type class, im not sure if there is a separate racing class for them though, they might just have to race with the under 23" lurchers.

will you be going?

it's very near Dungannon

I phoned the Heatherlea pet shop. They confirmed the directions but had no information on the show.

I'd be very interested in going - more for racing than for show - date suits and Dungannon isn't terribly far away from Derry but it's nowhere near a train station and I don't have a car. One person I know would be interested in going (and bringing her whippet to race also) but she's working this Sat.

so if you know anyone round my way .... (p-mail)

Hi Miss Madam,

Thanks for the kind words. The boys did look well but it is all down to their Genes i think. As i just trot along behind them i cannot take much credit. Interestingly i met the man who bred them and he just happened to have their father with him. The father was Greyhound / Irish Terrier ( called Poacher) and the mother was Greyhound/ Deerhound... i think!

We were lucky enough to win the Pairs and came 2 and 3 in the over 23 Smooth which sent us all home with tails wagging.

We tried the racing but our boy didn't seem to get the hang of it. He watched a few races , sitting down ..sorta bored and in the race watched everyone else bombing ½ way up the track before the penny dropped! Obviously a bit of training needed.

We are looking forward to the next show , work etc allowing... See you there i hope !

Well done to you and your dogs, you'se did very well for your first time showing the dogs. :thumbsup:

My own dogs did ok, my older dog who is 8 came third in the rough or smooth under 23" class, so proud of him considering his age,lol :b :D my other lurcher won the under 23" racing and got fasest time on the day which i was very pleased with because she wasnt running that well before that :thumbsup:

will you be going to the lurcher show in loughgall this saturday then?

You did have a good day then !

I'm afraid that Loughgall is out for me as i am away with work. Jenny ( who looks after the dogs when i am away ) i think quite fancies to go but that again depends on her work. It's a pain how work gets in the way of lifes important things!

Miss Madam your dog did run very well at Shanes Castle the other Sunday, well done.....just hope her dew claw heals well for you. I know you are very proud of Torri, i was at the finish line when the guy said that her time was the fastest of the day and that he said she was 2 seconds faster than any of the other heats. I don't want to sound cheeky nor take anything away from Torri's win but i can't understand how it is possible to time lurcher races when the start line is different for each race and that the starting line was approximately 250 yards from where the dogs were beginning to run from and considering the guy who was doing the timing was at the finish line with a slight bend in the race it would have been impossible to time each heat. Also 2 seconds in lurcher racing would be equivalent to at least 20 yards as in greyhound racing .07 sec is gauged to be 1 length. As you know i am the very proud owner of Maddy who won the over 23" racing. I know what Maddy's times are around the greyhound tracks and over a distance of 310 yards the fastest greyhounds in the country are approx. 6-7 yards quicker than her. Going by the time that was given by the guy on the finish line the other week, Torri would have been at least a further 13 yards ahead of the fastest greyhounds in the country over a distance of 250 yards.

Please don't take this the wrong way as i am only trying to explain that the times that the guy gave were inaccurate and impossible.

Hope to see Torri back and running soon.

Its ok i dont take what your saying effensive,lol :p i never really took him too serious anyway as he was only using his mobile phone to do the timing anyway, aswell as the fact that 2 seconds is a hell off alot considering that the race is over in about 8 seconds, so i never really read too much into it, but i was still proud off her running better than she had been b4 hand :D and it still made me feel good when he said that,lol :D

it was a bit of a bummer about her pulling her dewclaw, but it is healling well and i raced her last saturday at that loughgall show with her dewclaw banaged and it didnt effect her or open again, she also ran well that day aswell and she won the racing even with a 2 & a half foot jump in the middle off the race, so i am very proud off her lately :D :p

also i forgot to give my wee ferret 'Kylie' a mention who also won the ferret racing at shanes castle,lol :D :p

so will you be going to Tandragee show?

Miss Madam said:
Hi miss madam Iam hopefully goig to Tradgee with my whip mickey he has never race only showed ,but l think it wild be a bit of fun .If I get fir night off work ? I have put in for it off so shoud be ok macha will be coming with me as well lok forword to meeting K9ers on the day. Have you any imfo on the meeting ,times.ect

bye boyce

Great to see Torri back again running so soon, and winning :cheers: . I think her achievements are rubbing of on all your pets....well done to your ferret also. Did you tape her dewclaw up for last weekends race or was it healing ok. Also who won the showing and the other races at the weekend.

I'm not sure if i will race Maddy again as she isn't getting any younger and is constantly getting injured. After Moira i took her down to Brian Jones as i thought something was up with her because the last time she raced against Billy Harpers bitch Tara, Maddy won by approx 10 lengths. Brian said that her right shoulder was injured which would have affected her early pace, and since Moira was only approx. 80-100 yds long this may be the reason why she run so poor. He also said that she had tore her gracillas muscle at some stage, and that this would affect her during racing as very few dogs are ever the same after this type of injury, but that it had healed fairly well. I'm not sure when she had done this as i bought her when she was 13 months old so it could have happened when she was a pup. I know that when i bought her that she had a tendency to throw this leg out when running but i didn't look into any further until Brian Jones pointed it out to me. For her shoulder he told me to just walk her for ten days and that it would be ok for Shanes Castle, that was the reason i didn't get to Emo.

The only reason i went to Shanes Castle was because i thought it was the All Irelands. The next day she was limping and had hurt her left wrist and it is still giving her some pain when i was checking her over tonight. Maybe it is time to retire her from racing...her heart is there but her body just can't take the strain anymore. I,ve just been so lucky to have landed in my opinion such a great wee dog.

I know how i feel about her and i'm sure you feel the same way about your own, especially when you put all the hard work and effort to keep them fit and healthy. :thumbsup: I think your dad has been bitten by the bug :D

Hello Boyce :D . You were asking about Tandragee Terrier and Lurcher Show on 2nd July. I've just started a new topic for it which might help answer some of your questions.....have a look!

Hope you can make it along to the show...... the more the merrier :cheers: I have whippets too, they're great wee dogs aren't they! :thumbsup: I think I know your Mickey, hope you can bring him along.

See you and lots of other K9ers on the day :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back