The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lurchers And Racing Whippets In Ireland

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
awh poor Maddy :( well i hope she is ok, i suppose you will probabaly breed from her at some stage now that you will be retiring her,

as for my dad being bitten by the bug, i dought it as he has kept lurchers for 25 years or more and obviously knows more about them than me, i got my interest in lurchers from him always having them about the house from i was a wee girl,lol :D :p

he even raced his dogs in the very first N.I gamefair which was held in clandyboy :thumbsup:

Wow :teehee: That's a wealth of experience your dad has, no wonder your dogs are in such good nick and condition.

Yes i hope to breed of Maddy in the near future, just have to wait and see what happens. Just hope i don't end up with a lot of pups that i can't get rid off, but then again Gail would be happy with that as she would want to keep them all :lol: . Do you know who won the overs at the weekend and how did the showin go?

:oops: sorry 4got about you asking that,lol

the show was won by a big black rough coated dog and reserve was w.mc keown's big sandy rough coated dog 'clint' there was only one dog entered for the over 23" race,lol, :lol: so the dog just had a mess about run, and there was only one heat for the under 23" which Torri won :D they said my other dog Cody came 2nd in that race but i honestly dont think he did because there was another wee dog which looked similar to him which i think probably came 2nd, but i took the rosette anyway.lol :p i know im so evil,lol :p :lol:

Macha said:
I thought it would be useful to have a general thread to list forthcoming events in Ireland ... if there's any event which several of us are going to or wish to discuss, someone may wish to start a thread specifically for that event, but this thread will list places, dates and contact info. of all lurcher events and whippet races we can find out about.

Clonmel Game and Country Fair, Clonmel Racecourse, Co Tipperary

Mon 1 Aug 2005 - lurcher and whippet events commencing about 12.30-1pm

under the auspices of the Countryside Alliance, www.caireland.org

please do correct or add further details of these events and list any other similar events you know of

got these details from BASC website:

Burren & Warrenpoint Gun Club Dog Show - Saturday 23/7/05

Lurcher show and racing terrier show. Strong dogs and weight pulling. Assemble at 12:00 at Grinning road just five minutes of Warrenpoint to Newry dual carriageway. The show will be sign posted on the day. Food and refreshments will also be served.

For more information phone Antony on 07900496009 or 00353861726260

--- are there any more this summer besides Clonmel (1 Aug) and Belfast - Dundonald (7 Aug)

Yes there are more, the dates just havent came through yet, there should b another show in crumlin and then there is the Tullylish show aswell as the Braid Country Fair all held in August and then ther is the All-Ireland Lurcher Championships which is the last show of the season which is held at the end of September,

Lurcher events are normally advertised in the Thursday Night Belfast Telegraph, the Buy&Sell and the Ads for Free, so if you check the pet Columns in these papers weekly you should find the dates of up-coming events, and when i find out the dates i will post them on k9 anyway :thumbsup:

Miss Madam said:
Yes there are more, the dates just havent came through yet, there should be another show in crumlin and then there is the Tullylish show aswell as the Braid Country Fair all held in August and then there is the All-Ireland Lurcher Championships which is the last show of the season which is held at the end of September,Lurcher events are normally advertised in the Thursday Night Belfast Telegraph, the Buy&Sell and the Ads for Free, so if you check the pet Columns in these papers weekly you should find the dates of up-coming events, and when i find out the dates i will post them on k9 anyway :thumbsup:

okay, I'll remember to buy the telegraph this evening

but it really does help Boyce and me to know the dates well in advance

I'm afraid I'll be away some of the summer and might miss the very events I could arrange transport for - that is why I'm trying to be around to take the dogs to the Dundonald venue which will be accessible by train.

where is Tullyish?

I'm much more interested in the racing aspect than in lurcher showing

I didn't find any lurcher show notices nor any Ads for Free in the Belfast Telegraph on Thursday. We get the Northwest edition in Derry and maybe that bit is missing, replaced by a couple of local pages for the northwest.

Do any of you go to Scotland for racing holidays? I don't know of lurcher events apart from the Galloway Fair, but I understand there is non-pedigreed whippet racing in Ayrshire, also in Kirkcaldy the end of this month there will be a week of races from 23-30th, races first Sat and Sun, Wed, final Sat, and then on the final Sun a Derby for qualified dogs who have won preliminary heats. I'm on holiday so I'm toying with the idea. But you have to join a member association and I was told my dog would be given a couple of trials at the beginning and if he didn't follow the lure or wasn't fast enough he wouldn't be able to go in the races, so it could be a waste of time. I think my whippet would do okay, but he's inexperienced so I can't be sure. Please anyone planning or considering going to this event from Ireland p-mail me.

I am seriously thinking of going to the non-pedigreed whippet racing in Kirkcaldy, even by trains and ferry and camping in tent by the track. Pray for dry weather. Anyone else thinking of going from Ireland?

that would mean missing Castlewellan, which I doubt I could have got to anyway. Proximity to train station is more important to me than distance! Not that I would normally go as far as Scotland, but I am on holiday, am keen to get a real start at the racing, and there will be 5 days of racing over a perioud of 9 days.

I also think I can go to Dundonald, after which I probably won't have any time available to go to races and shows for the rest of Aug. Is 7 Aug the correct date, a Sunday? Please do post any details or contacts for Dundonald - or any other lurcher or whippet event 6&7 Aug - as soon as possible!

thanks

Hi Macha i also thought about about taking my dog to the non-pedigree whippet racing in scotland but i think i might leave it to next year as my dog is still quite young being 20 mths, i would rather wait till she is about 2, but i think you have to be registered with a non pedigree whippet racing club b4 you can race, im not sur if thats right or not, you would be better checking this out on the non ped whippet forum, also what they mean by a non ped whippet is that these whippets are partly bred greyhounds aswell, is ur whippet not a pedigree?

also as for the show in dundonald, its diffently on the 7th August, it will be a big show, there is Straight Hurdle jump racing, straight racing for under 23" and over 23", the racing is also a qualifier for the lurcherworld racing championships in Lartington which will be held in september, and there is also showing as usual, not sure if there is seperate whippet racing though but the man who is running this show is a k9er he is known as Stormydog on k9community if you want to find out more im sure you could pm him :thumbsup:

Miss Madam said:
Hi Macha i also thought about about taking my dog to the non-pedigree whippet racing in scotland but i think i might leave it to next year as my dog is still quite young being 20 mths, i would rather wait till she is about 2, but i think you have to be registered with a non pedigree whippet racing club b4 you can race, im not sur if thats right or not, you would be better checking this out on the non ped whippet forum, also what they mean by a non ped whippet is that these whippets are partly bred greyhounds aswell, is ur whippet not a pedigree?

thanks for the info about Dundonald

my whippet is barely 10 months old, but they have puppy races and I'm quite eager to get a good start.

you do have to join an affiliated club but you can do that at the venue. it costs £5 to join Kirkcaldy club. Pedigree whippets are welcome. I think most non-pedigree whippets are basically whippets and somewhere along the line a breeder/owner didn't bother with the kennel club. Some won't be purebred though, and there will be greyhound crosses in the "no limit" classes for over 40 lbs -- I may be able to enter my crossbred dog in that division although he looks more like a small greyhound than a large whippet. Below 40 lbs, the dogs are weighed on the day and raced in different divisions according to their weights.

at Kirkcaldy they are using starting boxes and I'm told it does take time for the dogs to get used to the box. they are also strict about using muzzles, or so they say. The owners/handlers walk away from the boxes towards the finish line before the race starts and they are allowed call the dogs which is certainly helpful with some dogs.

Most non-ped whippets have at least a quarter greyhound in there breeding, as for the no limit dogs in most cases there is more greyhound in them than whippet, when racing these dogs they come out of racing traps as seen on greyhound tracks, you really would need to train your dog to come out of traps before really racing it, to do this you should bring ur dog along to a local greyhound track on a trial day.

good luck with ur racing :thumbsup: :luck:

Just thought id mention there is a lurcher and terrier show and racing on saturday 6th august up near Nutscorner and then on sunday 7th august ther is also one in Dundonald, also i think ther is another one on the 7th august in Armagh, just thought id put these dates up since i said i would when i found the dates out :thumbsup:

I got the info about Dundonald

can you tell me more about Nutts Corner event?

my dogs had plenty of schooling in Scotland and they both followed the lure well and loved it but we weren't allowed race because their times were too slow

for instance my whippet's best speed at 150 yds was 9.86 sec and the winner of the consolation derby pups under a year timed 9.36 . That dog weighed 8 lbs less than mine and therefore mine would have had an 8 yd handicap and would never have caught up. That's how they do it. It is dangerous for a dog to come running to the finish from way behind as it may hit the dogs who are already on the rag.

... the lurcher racing is so casual the whippet crowd have me scared about injuries now! and I've always thought the dogs should wear muzzles

I'm told my whippets a good runner for a pedigree pup

so what's the details/contact no. for Nutts Corner?

Hey, i dont actually have any details or contact numbers as i found out about the show through a mate, all i know is its in Crumlin and you have to go through the nutscorner roundabout to get to it, but if i find out any more details about this show i'll pm you and let you know :thumbsup:

will you be going to the show in dundonald then?

Unfortunately :( I won't be able to make it to any of the shows this weekend as I have to make my yearly visit home to Hertfordshire to see my folks!! ......A WHOLE WEEKEND WITHOUT MY WHIPPETS :wub: AROUND ME :blink: :wacko: HOW WILL I COPE!!!! :lol: :lol:

:luck: Good luck :luck: to all you K9'ers who make it to any of the shows this coming weekend.......I'll expect a full list of results up here on Monday!!! :- "

Miss Madam said:
Hey, i dont actually have any details or contact numbers as i found out about the show through a mate, all i know is its in Crumlin and you have to go through the nutscorner roundabout to get to it, but if i find out any more details about this show i'll pm you and let you know :thumbsup:
will you be going to the show in dundonald then?

fairly sure I'll go to Dundonald

when I came back from Scotland I left my crate at the local train station saying I'd be using it this Sun morning

If Boyce decides to go, I'll have a lift and won't go by train

but if I do go by train, any chance of someone giving me a lift from and/or back to Central Station (or Great Victoria St)? would be arriving in Belfast a bit late, 1.30 pm

please pm if you can help

Had a really good weekend at crumlin & dundonald show! the weather was great both days! i have the sunburn to proof it!lol :lol: :(

at crumlin show the show champion was won by a lovely merle collie lurcher owned by a k9er 'streaky' reserve was a whippet/greyhound 'Ellie-may' also owned by a k9er 'fra'

then the racing over 23" was won by a grehound/borzoi 'Colt' owned by a k9er 'stormy dog' then the under 23" was won by my own dog 'Torri' which is a whippet/greyhound.

then at dundonald show the show champion was my own dog 'Torri' whippet/greyhound reserve was a big rough coated dog 'clint'.

then the racing over 23" was won by a black dog (dont know the name) and the under 23" was won by my own dog 'Torri' yet again,lol :- "

it turned out a great weekend for alot of us N.I k9er's, great results!

k9er's who were at these shows at the weekend, did use have a good weekend then? :thumbsup:

Miss Madam said:
Had a really good weekend at crumlin & dundonald show! the weather was great both days! i have the sunburn to proof it!lol :lol:   :( at crumlin show the show champion was won by a lovely merle collie lurcher owned by a k9er 'streaky' reserve was a whippet/greyhound 'Ellie-may' also owned by a k9er 'fra'

then the racing over 23" was won by a grehound/borzoi 'Colt' owned by a k9er 'stormy dog' then the under 23" was won by my own dog 'Torri' which is a whippet/greyhound.

then at dundonald show the show champion was my own dog 'Torri' whippet/greyhound reserve was a big rough coated dog 'clint'.

then the racing over 23" was won by a black dog (dont know the name) and the under 23" was won by my own dog 'Torri' yet again,lol :- "

k9er's who were at these shows at the weekend, did use have a good weekend then? :thumbsup:

GLAD YOU ENJOYED IT !  HOPE EVERYONE ELSE DID..PARTICULARLY OUR FRIEND WHO TRAVELED ALL THE WAY FROM LONDONDERRY VIA TRAIN AND TAXI !!! :thumbsup:

NEXT YEAR ITL BE BIGGER AGAIN !!

STORMYDOG !

Miss Madam said:
Had a really good weekend at crumlin & dundonald show! the weather was great both days! i have the sunburn to proof it!lol :lol:   :( at crumlin show the show champion was won by a lovely merle collie lurcher owned by a k9er 'streaky' reserve was a whippet/greyhound 'Ellie-may' also owned by a k9er 'fra'

I felt bad that my dog who ran really well and won against three other dogs never got any credit because that race was declared invalid because there had been a mix-up and the lure was started prematurely and two dogs were not released. It was a hot day, no water available, track 230 yards and they ran the re-match immediately (it would have been better to have run some other dogs in the interval and to have given the dogs a rest). My erstwhile winning dog gave up quite early in the re-match and turned and came back to me.

We missed our train but the 3 hours in Belfast were pleasant enough in the good weather. but I couldn't find a dog friendly taxi in Derry at 11.30 pm so we had to walk four miles home and I had to go back and collect the crate from the station the next day. Thanks anyway to the angel who got us back to central station from the showgrounds.

macha wot did u think off the derby in kirkcaldy and wot did u think of big steve the lad with the beard and the other lad with the flat cap

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back