The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lurchers And Racing Whippets In Ireland

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
unwanted said:
macha wot did u think off the derby in kirkcaldy and wot did u think of big steve the lad with the beard and the other lad with the flat cap
depends - which one of them you are?

I enjoyed their conversation and companionship! see my thank you note in one of the Scottish Derby threads

no doubt the training at Kirkcaldy helped Sam win his unofficial race

the whippet ran quite well also, but in the 230 yard race other dogs overtook him as they came nearer the finish line

So what's on during the month of September?

or has the lurcher race/show season ended already?

I wonder why someone doesn't organise whippet and/or lurcher racing in conjunction with the Belfast championship show (even though the show is exclusively for kennel club registered dogs)

Macha said:
Miss Madam said:
Hi Macha i also thought about about taking my dog to the non-pedigree whippet racing in scotland but i think i might leave it to next year as my dog is still quite young being 20 mths, i would rather wait till she is about 2, but i think you have to be registered with a non pedigree whippet racing club b4 you can race, im not sur if thats right or not, you would be better checking this out on the non ped whippet forum, also what they mean by a non ped whippet is that these whippets are partly bred greyhounds aswell, is ur whippet not a pedigree?

thanks for the info about Dundonald

my whippet is barely 10 months old, but they have puppy races and I'm quite eager to get a good start.

you do have to join an affiliated club but you can do that at the venue. it costs £5 to join Kirkcaldy club. Pedigree whippets are welcome. I think most non-pedigree whippets are basically whippets and somewhere along the line a breeder/owner didn't bother with the kennel club. Some won't be purebred though, and there will be greyhound crosses in the "no limit" classes for over 40 lbs -- I may be able to enter my crossbred dog in that division although he looks more like a small greyhound than a large whippet. Below 40 lbs, the dogs are weighed on the day and raced in different divisions according to their weights.

at Kirkcaldy they are using starting boxes and I'm told it does take time for the dogs to get used to the box. they are also strict about using muzzles, or so they say. The owners/handlers walk away from the boxes towards the finish line before the race starts and they are allowed call the dogs which is certainly helpful with some dogs.

Cindy, what is your message? you have only quoted old messages from Miss Madam and me ...

lets keep the events list going - or are there no more lurcher events in Ireland this year?

(though one of my dogs has been ill and therefore is retired from this season's racing)

Hi Macha i think its the end of the lurcher events for this season in Ireland un till next spring! sad i know :( a group of us went from N.ireland to the midland gamefair last weekend and all of us did very well so it was a good end to this years showing & racing season! pics of our weekend are posted on another thread (triple win for N.Ireland)! :D

Rose

Macha said:
I thought it would be useful to have a general thread to list forthcoming events in Ireland ... if there's any event which several of us are going to or wish to discuss, someone may wish to start a thread specifically for that event, but this thread will list places, dates and contact info. of all lurcher events and whippet races we can find out about..... ....

please do correct or add further details of these events and list any other similar events you know of

what's on in 2006, when does our lurcher season begin?

Macha said:
Macha said:
I thought it would be useful to have a general thread to list forthcoming events in Ireland ... if there's any event which several of us are going to or wish to discuss, someone may wish to start a thread specifically for that event, but this thread will list places, dates and contact info. of all lurcher events and whippet races we can find out about..... ....

please do correct or add further details of these events and list any other similar events you know of

what's on in 2006, when does our lurcher season begin?

hy

its usually around the end of march start of april.....downpatrick tends to be the opener. keep you posted.

john :thumbsup:

Miss Madam said:
Yes there are more, the dates just havent came through yet, there should b another show in crumlin and then there is the Tullylish show aswell as the Braid Country Fair all held in August and then ther is the All-Ireland Lurcher Championships which is the last show of the season which is held at the end of September,Lurcher events are normally advertised in the Thursday Night Belfast Telegraph, the Buy&Sell and the Ads for Free, so if you check the pet Columns in these papers weekly you should find the dates of up-coming events, and when i find out the dates i will post them on k9 anyway :thumbsup:

I've seen the info about the show and racing at Dundonald this Sun though I am not sure I will be going this year. I won't be free for the rest of the month, but I'm sure others would like to know about August events this year ... I certainly haven't seen any details.

Where is the All-Ireland at the end of Sept? (and does it conflict with the NI Whippet championship show in Belfast 30 Sept?) What else is on in Sept? will Dundonald have racing practice every Sun?

hi macha, the all- irelands has already been held at the medieval fair that was at shanes castle back in june, i think u were there?? it has been held in june at the medievel fair the past 2 years, it doesnt be held in september anymore...

there is another show being held in louth somewere on sun 13th august :thumbsup:

Macha said:
Miss Madam said:
Yes there are more, the dates just havent came through yet, there should b another show in crumlin and then there is the Tullylish show aswell as the Braid Country Fair all held in August and then ther is the All-Ireland Lurcher Championships which is the last show of the season which is held at the end of September,Lurcher events are normally advertised in the Thursday Night Belfast Telegraph, the Buy&Sell and the Ads for Free, so if you check the pet Columns in these papers weekly you should find the dates of up-coming events, and when i find out the dates i will post them on k9 anyway :thumbsup:

I've seen the info about the show and racing at Dundonald this Sun though I am not sure I will be going this year. I won't be free for the rest of the month, but I'm sure others would like to know about August events this year ... I certainly haven't seen any details.

Where is the All-Ireland at the end of Sept? (and does it conflict with the NI Whippet championship show in Belfast 30 Sept?) What else is on in Sept? will Dundonald have racing practice every Sun?

Hi Macha & all you other folk here in Ireland interested in whippets :thumbsup: .

The Northern Ireland Whippet Club will indeed be holding it's annual pedigree whippet championship show on Saturday 30th september at the Balmoral Showgrounds Belfast. It's held in conjunction with Belfast Dog Show Society all breeds championship show which is on 29th & 30th Sept.

SADLY MACHA....SUNDAYS TRAINING SESSIONS ARE NOT TO BE FOR A WHILE. :angry: CAN I THANK THE LOCAL LADS FOOTY TEAMS MUMS AND DADS FOR THEIR COMPLAINING ABOUT OUR DOGS RUNNING DOWN A STRAIGHT 200YDS AWAY FROM THEIR FOOTY PRACTICE PITCH.

AT THIS VENUE THERE ARE 10 FOOTBALL PITCHES SPREAD OVER A VAST AREA BUT ONLY 1 PITCH HAS A CAR PARK AT THE TOUCHLINE..THIS SUITS THE LAZY BASTRD MUMS AND DADS WHO DON CHEAP TRACKSUITS AND SIT IN THEIR FUKN CARS WATCHING THEIR LITTLE JOHNNYS RUNNING ROUND LIKE CIRCUS FERRETS AFTER AROUND 35 FOOTBALLS AT ANY ONE TIME.... :wacko:

THANKS ALL THE "WAYNE AND WAYNETTA SLOBS" FOR THAT ! :thumbsup:

CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT TIME THEY CALL AT MY DOOR FOR FREE MONEY TO PAY FOR THEIR SOCCER TRIP TO USA .... :- " :- "

J o:) HN

Last edited by a moderator:
stormydog said:
SADLY MACHA....SUNDAYS TRAINING SESSIONS ARE NOT TO BE FOR A WHILE.  :angry: CAN I THANK THE LOCAL LADS FOOTY TEAMS MUMS AND DADS  FOR THEIR COMPLAINING ABOUT OUR DOGS RUNNING DOWN A STRAIGHT 200YDS AWAY FROM THEIR FOOTY PRACTICE PITCH.AT THIS VENUE  THERE ARE 10 FOOTBALL PITCHES SPREAD OVER A VAST AREA BUT ONLY 1 PITCH HAS A CAR PARK AT THE TOUCHLINE..THIS SUITS THE LAZY BASTRD MUMS AND DADS WHO DON CHEAP TRACKSUITS AND SIT IN THEIR FUKN CARS WATCHING THEIR LITTLE JOHNNYS RUNNING ROUND LIKE CIRCUS FERRETS AFTER AROUND 35 FOOTBALLS AT ANY ONE TIME.... :wacko:

THANKS ALL THE "WAYNE AND WAYNETTA SLOBS" FOR THAT  !  :thumbsup:

CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT TIME THEY CALL AT MY DOOR FOR FREE MONEY TO PAY FOR THEIR SOCCER TRIP TO USA .... :- "  :- "

Bloody hell John.I thought you liked football :- " If I didn't know you better,I'd be really scared that you might break in to where ever they store their footy stuff and burst all their little footballs :oops: and shread all their goal nets :oops: .It's also a good job that you wouldn't throw thousands of nails all over the said car park so that the lovely mums and dads couldn't park their gleaming about town motors on there. o:) What really pisses me off :rant: is these inconsiderate folk who have no consideration at all for our four legged friends,for any small amount of yapping they do when they see a lure,or for the very tiny amount of waste they try to leave in neat little heaps so that people always manage to avoid treading in it.Lets face it children and their parents belong indoors.The outside should belong to our four legged friends and us ofcourse :D

KAREN...YUP I LOVE MY FOOTY YOURE CORRECT. I HATE FAT ARSED MUMS AND DADS THAT THINK EVERYTHING SHOULD REVOLVE AROUND THEIR KIDS ATTEMPTS AT PLAYING FULL-TIME-FOOTY AT 12 ! THE RUBBISH THEY LEAVE BEHIND THEM IS UNREAL...30000 WATER BOTTLES! WHATS ALL THIS ABOUT NOW ANYWAY :wacko: :wacko: EACH CHILD MUST HAVE ATLEAST 2 BOTTLES OF WATER AND BE KICKING 3 FOOTBALLS EACH IN THE MIDDLE OF 450 ORANGE CONES (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) IS IT THE SAME IN ENGLAND ?

SOMETIMES THERES THAT MANY OTHER ITEMS ON THE PITCH AT ONCE I WONDER HOW THEY MANAGE TO PLAY FOOTY AT ALL :eek: :eek: :wacko:

ISNT IT FUNNY HOW EVEN THE PARENTS MUST WEAR SOME FORM OF SPORTING CLOTHING EVEN TO TAKE THE BRATS TO THERE FOOTY . :b

KIDS ARE GREAT...I REMEMBER I ATE A WHOLE ONE ONCE :eek: BUT ITS MUM WAS A FAT-ASS...I RECKON SHEDVE BEEN A 2-SITTING FEED !

Can't understand how these kids allow Mummy to watch them play.Mine would never allow me to go and watch them. :( My big gob(not my own words)always came into the equation. :eek: :D Karen

louiejoe said:
[Hi Macha & all you other folk here in Ireland interested in whippets  :thumbsup: . The Northern Ireland Whippet Club will indeed be holding it's annual pedigree whippet championship show on Saturday 30th september at the Balmoral Showgrounds Belfast. It's held in conjunction with Belfast Dog Show Society all breeds championship show which is on 29th & 30th Sept.

why not organise some whippet racing in conjunction with the show?

Sorry, can't really be done for various reasons, the main one being Kennel Club Rules & Regulations, another being the space needed and another being time to organise racing on top of a championship show!!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back