The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

May I Just Ask...........

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
HI Joanna,

When mine catch anything...mainly rabbits round here.. If its a myxi one I generally tend to leave it, but when the kill looks ok I have brought them back skinned and cooked them (Yes I do this myself too) or fed them to the dogs raw as mine are on the BARF diet.

My hubby used to shoot quite alot, and often used to bring game pheasants, grouse etc ...all cooked in this house. :thumbsup: I like rabbit too but tend not to cook them for ourselves much these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone tasted squirrell? Quite tasty and tender so I have heard.

masta said:
Joanna said:
~Helen~ said:
If mine ever did kill (which they haven't, yet) I would give the kill to them as part of their already varied raw food diet. Surely that's the best and healthiest way to "dispose" of it?
If they are trained to kill rabbit and bring back, they couldn't eat that many Helen. One is fair enough, and I would imagine any of yours would happily eat that (having seen the evidence of a house dog with pigeon). It is more the out to kill in numbers I am asking about.

i know this may come as a shock, but some of us have freezers (w00t)

:thumbsup: dead right - it would save me a fortune on buying in raw meat!

Lloyd said:
My hubby who does a bit of shooting brought a squirrel home and cooked it, he says it tasted like chicken :x but i didn't taste it :)

Mini Me said:
Lloyd said:
Doesn't it have a Hazelnut in every bite too? :D

Hey Mini Me, your not going....... off topic... are you? :lol: Get it ? :lol:

I remember years ago my mum's cousins used to eat a lot of squirrels. Well, they'd have to eat a lot to make it worth while wouldn't they :D They were living somewhere in New York state.

I wish Fred would catch the odd rabbit. I had to suffer the indignity of buying one from our local butchers yesterday (and they know I own a whippet as they give me fresh bones each week). It tasted lovely in a casserole of pale ale and vegetables. Much tastier than chicken. I think I'll get it boned next time though, as i cooked it still on the bone, and was picking bits of bone out of my mouth with each mouthful. :wacko: First rabbit I've ever cooked, so still learning :b

Judy said:
Mini Me said:
Lloyd said:

I remember years ago my mum's cousins used to eat a lot of squirrels. Well, they'd have to eat a lot to make it worth while wouldn't they :D They were living somewhere in New York state.

Very good Judy, I am impressed :teehee: :p :lol: :lol:

Judy said:
Mini Me said:
Lloyd said:

HeHe...very clever...What a BOUNTY of humour we have on this site. Its a real PICNIC in here. Your a STARbar. :cheers:

Yes please don't go off topic as you may get treated like someone from MARS ..... :- " :lol:

You're a real "Smartie" pants, aren't you, Mini Me?

Lloyd said:
Dont talk about them little blighters to me this week... (w00t)

a bit of a long story but Id just set off out of my front door up the main street when a very startled looking young squirrel came bounding towards me..... (w00t) (w00t) .................and 3 whippets.....good job I dont own any more, because it was like a scene from a comedy film....I looked like a sled driver fleeing up the road behind all three of them.

then the squirrel took a U turn over the road, just missed a car...u turned again,.ran back past us all again (w00t) then took a right up the church lane... almost follwed by us.....

how I ended up still on my feet I will never know... :lol: :lol: :blink:

i could have been roasting one quite easily right now... :lol:

just to add my reply,all rabbits we catch r eatin by us or the dogs nothing goes to waste,there cleaned out in he country so the foxes and whatever else will eat that and the meat comes home and it usually the dogs and ferrets eat them,saying that our dogs go through 10 rabbits a day so you can imagine how much tins of dog food and bags of nuts were saving on by feeding rabbits :- "

and to be honest going back to a few comments made by some people i have to agree this is what these dogs were bred for and they just love it they switch on get so focused and really enjoy it,

regards ross

Carol Jepson said:
We have a freezer full of all sorts of game at the moment what OH has shot all will be consumed  :D   OH cooks it all and makes a fab game pie  :thumbsup: Also we have plenty of wood pigeon and really enjoy that aswell  :thumbsup:
Wish hed cum n shoot that wood pidgeon that wakes me up every morning :angry:

JOEBOY said:
Is that the squirrels nuts i can see ,Sparky
:- " sure is joeboy, he's been saving em for when the dark nights come .

we love squirrel up north.. :thumbsup:

keeps em keen :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back