The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Muzzles

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I did mean test out camping not muzzles @JoanneF :eek:

Oh gosh - well all you can do is try and see how he reacts. Is it a constant barking? It would be a shame for you to base your whole existence of what you can and cannot do because of your dog :(
It feels like that at the moment Josie. I almost feel like a prisoner in my own home, because I don't like taking him anywhere as he barks and I daren't leave him too long because he had SA. If we have to muzzle him for spells for our won sanity, then we will have to do that. We won't do it for long periods and certainly not to the detriment of his health. I know we're struggling with this dog, but I hope you can see that his welfare is always uppermost in our minds, but sometimes a balance has to be struck. I'm hopeful that we can get him down to a dull roar, we'll see.

Surely that french bull dog muzzle isn’t a thing? :eek:

I guess the first thing is to go and test it out first like you said. Although it won’t be the same place it will still be the same style of situation. What will he most likely bark at? (Hoping you don’t say everything! :p)
He's not too bad indoors for barking, he does go through phases when he barks at everything, fridge clicking over. OH moving around upstairs. noise on TV, dust falling. I used to put the radio on to reduce the background noise for him, then every time I was on the phone and he'd start barking and it took me weeks to realise, when I answered the phone I turned the radio off! Now I don't turn the radio on and try to manage his nutty barking.

Both OH I had bad 'flu all over Christmas, OH developed a bad cough and had to sit up in the lounge as lying down triggered it. We bought him a reclining chair at a charity shop, clean and at a good price. OH like it so much he bought a new one, so I used the old one. Eddi went through a phase of running at our feet, growing and putting his teeth on our feet - never hurting I might add. I reaiised that he only did this in the evening as that was when we reclined the most. So I reclined the chairs in the daytime and just reassured him and it stopped, just like that virtually over night. When I said he's a mentally, deranged nut-job, I meant it. All sorts of little behaviours just crop up which have to be dealt with.

Yes I totally understand and agree with you @doggie1 - you'll start avoiding certain places, situations etc because you're worried about how he will react and that's unfair to both of you. Life should be enjoyed together.

Sorry if you have already mentioned this somewhere but how long have you had him? did you know he had these problems beforehand or was it played down?

But also an amazing sign that the behaviour can also be rectified @doggie1

Yes I totally understand and agree with you @doggie1 - you'll start avoiding certain places, situations etc because you're worried about how he will react and that's unfair to both of you. Life should be enjoyed together.

Sorry if you have already mentioned this somewhere but how long have you had him? did you know he had these problems beforehand or was it played down?
We've only had him for 5 months and we were a bit naive, he was cute and the best behaved dog in the Kennels, not barking, wagging his tail. We took him for a walk and he was fine. We didn't know he was a Patterdale until we were signing for him and we should have backed off and checked, neither of us knew he was a terrier, had she ut Patterdale Terrier down, we would have said know as we know what terrier can be like. We did tell the rescue kennel that we wanted to take him in the camper van and they said he would be fine. Anyway, we now have him, he's our responsibility and we will do the best for him. I f we have to re-home him he will go to a good environment, he has been a worker in the past and this is a very high drive in him. He went down a fox hole withing 3 days after he accidentally got out and came back bloodied, well found, I doubt if he would have come back to us after such a short time. We are making progress but it's slow and tough.

He freaks out at all new things and that can make him bark. We took him to the beach last month and he barked from the minute the car stopped until he'd been on the beach ten minutes and realised it was actually fun. We can't let him off lead of course, but he runs on his fleixi.

Last edited:
5 months is still a very short time - which is good news for you. Do you know much about his history?

I'm afraid I can't offer much help to you. I have never experienced a terrier before and have been lucky with Dennis that food is life so that will always bring him back.

All I can say is don't give up and don't stop trying to go out for dinner all together, or going on holiday, or speaking to other dog walkers. He does sound like he's making progress even if it feels really slow.

Have you spoken to the rescue centre since about it?

You'd be surprised how many people do change their lives massively because they have a nut-job dog. I also felt like a prisoner in my own home when Jasper had SA, and we still hardly ever go out in the evenings or at weekends together as he's still iffy then. And I don't really have the energy to go out much in between his morning and walks anyway!

We can't leave him with anyone else because of his unpredictability, so I've missed OH's dad's funeral :( and OH has missed a couple of weddings. Holidays have to be in dog-friendly cottages, and he's not great in the car so we can't go too far afield. Plus a good part of where we would like to go is ruled out because of sheep!

Though to be honest, we were never great travellers in the first place ;)

It's difficult when your dog's needs and your desires collide, but I just wanted you to know you're not alone.

If I could add a note of hope and optimism - Timber doesn't travel well in the car but is brilliant in the motorhome. If you can get Eddi to settle on camping trips, it will really open up a lot of holidaying options for you.

5 months is still a very short time - which is good news for you. Do you know much about his history?

I'm afraid I can't offer much help to you. I have never experienced a terrier before and have been lucky with Dennis that food is life so that will always bring him back.

All I can say is don't give up and don't stop trying to go out for dinner all together, or going on holiday, or speaking to other dog walkers. He does sound like he's making progress even if it feels really slow.

Have you spoken to the rescue centre since about it?
Five months is a very short time, seems like 5 years sometimes! I go on a Patterdale forum and they just say they are a nutty breed and laugh at what they do. I don't want that for Eddi, the more he can behave himself, within reason, the better his life will be. I think he's got into a bad habit of barking. the rescue centre offered to take him back but coudn't offer any behavourist service.

You'd be surprised how many people do change their lives massively because they have a nut-job dog. I also felt like a prisoner in my own home when Jasper had SA, and we still hardly ever go out in the evenings or at weekends together as he's still iffy then. And I don't really have the energy to go out much in between his morning and walks anyway!

We can't leave him with anyone else because of his unpredictability, so I've missed OH's dad's funeral :( and OH has missed a couple of weddings. Holidays have to be in dog-friendly cottages, and he's not great in the car so we can't go too far afield. Plus a good part of where we would like to go is ruled out because of sheep!

Though to be honest, we were never great travellers in the first place ;)

It's difficult when your dog's needs and your desires collide, but I just wanted you to know you're not alone.
Thanks. We do love travelling, we took our Beagle all over America and into Canada then into Europe when we returned to the UK, so we really want to sort it out. He will bark, but if he will stop when we command and he can get used to other dogs, he will be manageable.

If I could add a note of hope and optimism - Timber doesn't travel well in the car but is brilliant in the motorhome. If you can get Eddi to settle on camping trips, it will really open up a lot of holidaying options for you.
Eddi likes the car but he seems to anticipate what will happen when we stop. After the vet yesterday I to call at the shops so I had to leave him in the car for 10 minutes. He did his usually barking and whimpering, when he realised he wasn't getting out he stopped, and wasn't barking when I returned. He continues to bark if we are trying to get him out for a walk. I agree, it would be great if we could get him to enjoy camping. We might not be able to take him to towns like we did Bonnie our Beagle which will restrict us a bit.

Last edited:
No need to get cross @leashedForLife , we knew there might be a problem that's why I asked the question.

oh, no! - I'm so sorry, please believe me, i am *not* cross in the least with U -- i was only alarmed for the dog's safety. :( Please don't feel that i was angry at the question, or irritated with U - that's the farthest thing from my intention or feelings.
I don't want anyone to be afraid to ask a question - any question! Surely it's better to ask than to wonder, & do something that might hurt Ur pet or make their behavior worse rather than better!
I am not angry with U, & other dog-owners will need this information, too, so i'm very glad indeed that U asked the question. It could save a dog's life, when someone reads this thread, years from now; it's important information for any dog-owner, because every dog ideally should be habituated to a basket-muzzle, & every dog-owner should own one that fits their dog - just in case.

If U need to muzzle Ur dog, there's no time to condition them to wearing it - typically it's an emergency, they're either badly hurt or badly frightened, & the situation is urgent. So buying a basket-muzzle & teaching them to wear it happily are good precautions for those shocking events that no one anticipates.

the people that i am angry with are those cheap vets who buy a range of cloth tube-muzzles like that multicolored rack on the wall in the photo, above, because they KNOW that a tube-muzzle can dangerously overheat a stressed dog in minutes, & use them anyway, out of sheer tight-fisted miserliness.
That's beyond any excuse, IMO, & i won't patronize a vet who uses tube-muzzles. If they do that to the dogs of their other clients, who do not know the risk & innocently trust their dog's life & health to them, i certainly won't trust them with mine.
I don't think even groomers should use tube-muzzles, simply because they're a danger to dogs, plus they allow the dog to bite via the open end - not full-mouth & full-force, but believe me, a frightened or angry dog's incisors can rip a nice hole in U, even if it's not a huge one.

I'm so sorry, @doggie1 , & please accept my apology - i wanted only to explain the very-real danger of tube muzzles, & upsetting U was never my intention. :( These tube-muzzles are only one of many unsafe things that are sold to an unsuspecting public every day - i still can't believe they haven't banned the sale of raised-feeding bowls & frames, as they increase every risk-factor for any dog by 100%, but they're everywhere.

- terry

oh, no! - I'm so sorry, please believe me, i am *not* cross in the least with U -- i was only alarmed for the dog's safety. :( Please don't feel that i was angry at the question, or irritated with U - that's the farthest thing from my intention or feelings.
I don't want anyone to be afraid to ask a question - any question! Surely it's better to ask than to wonder, & do something that might hurt Ur pet or make their behavior worse rather than better!
I am not angry with U, & other dog-owners will need this information, too, so i'm very glad indeed that U asked the question. It could save a dog's life, when someone reads this thread, years from now; it's important information for any dog-owner, because every dog ideally should be habituated to a basket-muzzle, & every dog-owner should own one that fits their dog - just in case.

If U need to muzzle Ur dog, there's no time to condition them to wearing it - typically it's an emergency, they're either badly hurt or badly frightened, & the situation is urgent. So buying a basket-muzzle & teaching them to wear it happily are good precautions for those shocking events that no one anticipates.

the people that i am angry with are those cheap vets who buy a range of cloth tube-muzzles like that multicolored rack on the wall in the photo, above, because they KNOW that a tube-muzzle can dangerously overheat a stressed dog in minutes, & use them anyway, out of sheer tight-fisted miserliness.
That's beyond any excuse, IMO, & i won't patronize a vet who uses tube-muzzles. If they do that to the dogs of their other clients, who do not know the risk & innocently trust their dog's life & health to them, i certainly won't trust them with mine.
I don't think even groomers should use tube-muzzles, simply because they're a danger to dogs, plus they allow the dog to bite via the open end - not full-mouth & full-force, but believe me, a frightened or angry dog's incisors can rip a nice hole in U, even if it's not a huge one.

I'm so sorry, @doggie1 , & please accept my apology - i wanted only to explain the very-real danger of tube muzzles, & upsetting U was never my intention. :( These tube-muzzles are only one of many unsafe things that are sold to an unsuspecting public every day - i still can't believe they haven't banned the sale of raised-feeding bowls & frames, as they increase every risk-factor for any dog by 100%, but they're everywhere.

- terry

It's OK. I was called a b=t=h and c==t on a Patterdale forum yesterday for saying absolutely nothing offensive and was just feeling sensitive.

:eek: If people call you names like that you know you've won the argument and they just can't deal with it;)

:eek: If people call you names like that you know you've won the argument and they just can't deal with it;)
I wasn't even arguing, I'd just posted something, the guy respoondedin a very caustic way. I said nothing offensive.

Eddi likes the [car], but he seems to anticipate what will happen when we stop [& then he barks].

After the vet yesterday, I to call at the shops, so left him in the car for 10 minutes. He did his usual barking & whimpering; when he realised he wasn't getting out, he stopped, and wasn't barking when I returned.
He continues to bark if we're trying to get him out for a walk.

How does he travel when he's in the car, please?
Does he wear a seatbelt & harness, or is he in a shipping crate?

An airline-approved shipping crate can be used to both safely transport him, & as a management tool, to cut off his visual of the outside world.
Shipping crates are the gold standard for pet transport - they're tested for burst-strength & rated for PSI, they won't collapse & trap the dog or impale them as wire AKA show-crates can, they won't rupture & hurl the dog out unprotected, & the slots molded into the top or the windows in the top-half, provide plenty of ventilation.

For Ur dog & his reactivity, flipping a shipper upside-down means that the only area where he might see what's outside the car, is thru the DOOR - the vents of the shipper are now in the bottom half, below the windows of the car, & his sight-line is cut off - all he sees thru them is the car interior.
He can't see passersby, vehicles going past, leashed dogs on sidewalks, dogs in other cars, etc, etc - only what's within his own car. // This can massively reduce barking. ;)

I would also use DAP / Adaptil pump-spray to reduce his reactivity -
it needs to be used 10 to 15-minutes B4 he is actually stressed, & the spray goes on items on or around the dog, not directly onto the dog's body. Collar, leash a hand's-length from the clip, the upholstery beside his crate or the cargo carpet by the crate, the open edge of the crate door [not the hinge], the crate sill, a body-harness, a dog coat or bandanna, Ur own cuffs, gloves, shoes or boots, the side-seam of yer pants at knee & ankle, are all likely spots that can be spritzed with DAP.
Each spray is a measured 'dose', & i typically use 3 spritzes in different places at any one time - for Ex, I put 1 spritz on the dog's tag collar [remove the collar, spritz, put it back on] 10-minutes B4 we plan to leave the house; just B4 departing & B4 i clip it to his collar, i spritz 1 on the leash a hand's-length from the clip, then i walk the dog to the car, & he hops into the crate - motivated by a stuffed Kong. ;)
I remove the leash, close the door, & spritz the crate's sill outside the door [#2, as the collar he's wearing is #1], then the seat upholstery by the crate window [#3]. The effect lasts about 90-minutes, & can be refreshed ad lib; there are zero risks of overdose, & no interactions whatever with food, meds, etc.

DAP is a synthetic copy of the pheromone produced by lactating bitches; it's meant to settle the pups to nursing as quickly as possible, when Mum returns to the nest. It lowers BP, pulse, respiration, & secretion of cortisol, among other things, & dogs are hard-wired to respond to it - no habituation is needed. Even a dog who was bottle-reared as a pup will respond to it; prior exposure is not required.
If DAP had a scent, i'd put it behind my ears, LOL - great stuff!

- terry

He doesn't react well with adaptil. He only cries when we stop the car, kind of in anticipation of getting out and going for a walk. He's worse when we go to training and he can sense, smell all of the dogs. He is in a crate at the mo, but we have bought a harness which clips in the seat belt, we need a waterproof seat covering to go with it.

Oh wow @doggie1 - I have recently had a nasty response from someone but in person. Some nasty people out there!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back