The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Muzzles

Don't be put off- people have strong views and I think concern for dog welfare often overrides how language is used. I'd certainly never use a muzzle and I've had some not very nice interchanges with dog owners when I've politely pointed out it's a hot day and a tight fabric muzzle means their dog is in danger. BUT to try to be helpful I've got a barker and we're going down the distraction route. (Him not us- we're already distracted!).Every day we leave the room or just turn our backs at barking- then the minute he stops we reward with a treat or toy. I have to admit this isn't a quick fix but you could start now. Over the last three months we've seen an improvement. Good luck. Oh and by the way as a crisis measure remember they can't bark with a full mouth. We go to hotels with more chewies and bones than personal luggage.

I need a muzzle for Doris for on the ferry what would you recommend as she will only be 6 months

Why do you need a muzzle, what does she do?
She doesn't do anything, the ferry just asks for all dogs to be wearing a muzzle for security of other dog owners and members of the public, moving from the car to kennels or cabin.

Don't be put off- people have strong views and I think concern for dog welfare often overrides how language is used. I'd certainly never use a muzzle and I've had some not very nice interchanges with dog owners when I've politely pointed out it's a hot day and a tight fabric muzzle means their dog is in danger. BUT to try to be helpful I've got a barker and we're going down the distraction route. (Him not us- we're already distracted!).Every day we leave the room or just turn our backs at barking- then the minute he stops we reward with a treat or toy. I have to admit this isn't a quick fix but you could start now. Over the last three months we've seen an improvement. Good luck. Oh and by the way as a crisis measure remember they can't bark with a full mouth. We go to hotels with more chewies and bones than personal luggage.
It was nothing to do with the animal's welfare, it was just a malicious person who is a nasty person.

I need a muzzle for Doris for on the ferry what would you recommend as she will only be 6 months

If she'll only be wearing it for short times, i.e. moving from one place to another, then something like a standard Baskerville muzzle should do. To me, they don't look like they allow the dog to open their mouth very wide, so the best I've found for mini schnauzers could be something like this, even though it's a silly price: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dean-Tyler...8-15&keywords=miniature+schnauzer+muzzle&th=1

Start getting her used to it now - I smeared peanut butter in the end of the muzzle and let Jasper lick it off so he got used to putting his nose in it, and took it slowly from there. I'd take Olive to a large pet shop to try some on now, and hopefully that size would be OK for Doris when she's 6 months.

That sort looks to me that it could restrict how much the mouth can open, but it's much better than the fabric type that hold the mouth closed, so could be fine for what you need. But then lurchers have very different faces, and Jasper wears one when he goes for long walks and when he runs, so he needs better airflow. This photo should give some idea of the sort of room for mouth-opening I like to see:

37868920704_0853119b8b_c.jpg

And as always, this is just based on my experience, and I have no experience of schnauzers or ferries to Spain!

That sort looks to me that it could restrict how much the mouth can open, but it's much better than the fabric type that hold the mouth closed, so could be fine for what you need. But then lurchers have very different faces, and Jasper wears one when he goes for long walks and when he runs, so he needs better airflow. This photo should give some idea of the sort of room for mouth-opening I like to see:

37868920704_0853119b8b_c.jpg

And as always, this is just based on my experience, and I have no experience of schnauzers or ferries to Spain!
I like the muzzle that Jasper wears and I will defiantly try your tip. :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back