The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Version Of A Working Whippet

midlanderkeith

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Was some discussion the other day, about the broughton working whippet show, but the topic has been closed cos of some uncalled for remarks, my name was mentioned, in a nice way may i add about my show bred whippet picking up rabbits

Now then in the topic a certain person, whom i respect in the working world, stated theres a subtle difference between a show bred whippet and a working whippet, mmmm, ok here goes the truth about my show bred whippet, first of all her nose, she misses nowt, stamina, will run till she drops, retrieve, to my hand, will plow through fire in pursuit of her legal quarry, as for the weather, she couldnt give a monkies, the only fault i find in her is in the chase, the twisting and turning lets her down, but its a joy to watch, she gives 100% in the field, am i happy with that, you bet i am.

Here is a pic of many i have of her in the field, im sure you will agree with me she is one hell of a whippet, doin exactly what it says in the book, born to work, by the way in the pic, yes she had the option of going around the water, thing is she's a tough little bugger, not bad for a show bred eh, owned and trained by a dedicated to the end working guy, me.

Keith, I wasn`t slagging you or your bitch in the now-closed thread . The people who came on to cause trouble did just that, I gave my own opinion in response to them. Your bitch looks a great little worker , keep up the good work with her- at least you`re getting her out and working her - something that others on here - those that chose to snipe in with unwanted comments - don`t or pretend to do

nigelmcfc said:
Keith, I wasn`t slagging you or your bitch in the now-closed thread . The people who came on to cause trouble did just that, I gave my own opinion in response to them. Your bitch looks a great little worker , keep up the good work with her- at least you`re getting her out and working her - something that others on here - those that chose to snipe in with unwanted comments - don`t or pretend to do
Dont you worry none Nigel, i know you wasnt slagging my bitch off, and whilst im here, well done you all for putting on the oncoming show, now maybe my bitch will be with child :lol: hopefully, never the less, i shall be there

thank you

keith :cheers:

I think show Whippets, like ALL Whippets make great workers ......I have a show bred myself, and she did lack the speed and flexibility of my racers and racer/coursing breds, but shes always had a heart of a lion and like Jill would go all day .......Her role in the pack has ended up as flusher :D ......I missed the topic you are on about, but do think if dogs are "conditioned" from the start (ie free run, taught etc ....) then owners are able to get the best from that dog :thumbsup:

she's a nice dog keith. keep up the good job she does for you.

She looks a top class little dog Keith. It isn't surprising you are very proud of her. I think you both deserve each other. May you enjoy the company of each other for many more years :luck: :thumbsup:

she is a credit to you keith , she enjoys being with you as much as you doing being with her :thumbsup:

Strike Whippets said:
I think show Whippets, like ALL Whippets make great workers ......I have a show bred myself, and she did lack the speed and flexibility of my racers and racer/coursing breds, but shes always had a heart of a lion and like Jill would go all day .......Her role in the pack has ended up as flusher  :D   ......I missed the topic you are on about, but do think if dogs are "conditioned" from the start (ie free run, taught etc ....) then owners are able to get the best from that dog  :thumbsup:
Sorry i dunno you first name, me thinks Hannah, the topic im on about well i did say in my post that it was deemed to be closed, such a shame, i was really enjoying summat close to my heart, why oh why, when we have these lovely dogs of ours close to our hearts, we cant at least to disagree with respect, but oh no , on and bloody on the snide remarks continue, now then, its my ambition now to mate jill, and as you know i have chosen to me what resembles a true whippet, SWEEP. i know that deep in my heart, the puppy i shall be keeping, will do the buisness, once again just let me say this, you show folks out there, good luck to you all, i wouldnt mind a bash at it missen, i reckon i cud just shimmy around the show ring with the best of you, plastic bag chasers, lure coursers, whatever, moral of all this little lot, enjoy your doggies, arent the y just the bestest versatile dog going eh

thank you

keith your last sentance says it all , enjoy them for they truly are the MOST versatile breed there is , loving hard working eager to learn with hearts of lions , i was orn into whippet ownership or slavery in my case (w00t) and excepting the lurchers ( with whippet in ) and the italians i could never see myself with another breed or type :thumbsup:

lamping man said:
She looks a top class little dog Keith. It isn't surprising you are very proud of her. I think you both deserve each other. May you enjoy the company of each other for many more years :luck:   :thumbsup:
Thank you Chris, very much appreciated,. civility costs nowt does it

keep well

:cheers:

i know my opinion doesnt matter to much, having never owned a whippet, (yet, 6weeks!!)

if you take a show bred pup and a race bred pup and a mungrel pup(anybreed) and from the minute you get them you treat them right and take them working, then the chances are they are going to do it and there going to love it and there going to give you 100%.

jill is show bred but i could bet money that keith has had her out from day one looking for rabbits and this is why she loves it so much.

but if you took a show dog out that had shown all its life and set it on a rabbit it wouldnt know what to do.

the same goes for a racing dog in the show ring.

i read most of the post that was closed and im not being funny but what on earth were they fighting about. you all love your dogs so why cant you just be happy for each other and give each other prays where its due, and keep you gobs shut if you cant.

i really dont think it matters what lines the dogs come from.

of course its a slight advantage, if they come from the right ones, but if they love what they do let them do it. and stop fighting about.

Keith i think they were all just jealous of your wee jilly because she could win crufts, then go out and catch herself a rabbit for her dinner. :wub:

midlanderkeith said:
Strike Whippets said:
I think show Whippets, like ALL Whippets make great workers ......I have a show bred myself, and she did lack the speed and flexibility of my racers and racer/coursing breds, but shes always had a heart of a lion and like Jill would go all day .......Her role in the pack has ended up as flusher  :D   ......I missed the topic you are on about, but do think if dogs are "conditioned" from the start (ie free run, taught etc ....) then owners are able to get the best from that dog  :thumbsup:
Sorry i dunno you first name, me thinks Hannah, the topic im on about well i did say in my post that it was deemed to be closed, such a shame, i was really enjoying summat close to my heart, why oh why, when we have these lovely dogs of ours close to our hearts, we cant at least to disagree with respect, but oh no , on and bloody on the snide remarks continue, now then, its my ambition now to mate jill, and as you know i have chosen to me what resembles a true whippet, SWEEP. i know that deep in my heart, the puppy i shall be keeping, will do the buisness, once again just let me say this, you show folks out there, good luck to you all, i wouldnt mind a bash at it missen, i reckon i cud just shimmy around the show ring with the best of you, plastic bag chasers, lure coursers, whatever, moral of all this little lot, enjoy your doggies, arent the y just the bestest versatile dog going eh

thank you

Keith - you're a breath of fresh air, and anyone who has taken offence at anything you've said just does not understand your sense of humour :thumbsup: There's not a bad bone in your body :huggles: You're right, we all have the best dogs at home, so why fight over what they can or can't do. They do whatever we teach them - and they are just the most superior breed in the world (I may be slightly biased :teehee: )

k4tie-d said:
i know my opinion doesnt matter to much, having never owned a whippet, (yet, 6weeks!!) 
You're in for a real treat. Good luck with your new pup, and be sure to post lots of pics :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing like a bit of 'robust' discussion! Unfortunate if it gets beyond that though :(

I'm not qualified to comment on 'show' whippets although I do read the showing threads with interest and the 3 whippets that we currently own are very 'well bred'. My first whippet (Henry RIP) was a 'bush' whippet and he did serious damage to the rabbit population of the farm that we lived on at the time! Hugo has seen plenty of rabbiting action in his day but now is happy to relive those memories on the couch! Rosie stalks rabbits EVERY morning when we feed up the paddocked horses, unfortunatley most make their escape through to the neighbours where she knows she is not allowed to go but she does certainly chase them and catch one occasionally. So I guess mine are not true working dogs but I do love to watch them 'work'. Also love to race them for the pure delight of seeing them doing what they are so good at. Like the rest of you I just think that they are the ultimate dog to have - speed, skill, heart, beauty, intuition and excellent bed warmers to boot!

There you go - my 2 cents worth :)

K4tied you must be starting to count how many sleeps to go!

Lewington. You have said it all for me. What lovely dogs you have and how they must enjoy themselves Thats how it should be, in my view. Very well done :thumbsup:

Thanks for your kind words re my whips Lampingman :)

I did sort of miss the point a little in my post - went off on my own little tale ;)

I suppose what is the crux of the matter is that the breeders - who are effectively the custodians of the breed - continue to produce dogs that not only perform in the show ring but also are capable workers. I for one hope so :thumbsup:

...and one more thing .. hope I am not too off topic...

my whippets are rubbish as watch dogs! We had a couple of prowlers around the outside of the house one night - when we went down to put the lights on and ring the police not a peep out of the whippets even though they knew there were intruders out there!

Is it just a myth or were they originally bred as poachers dogs therefore not noisy - would love to know :)

This is how the original thread should have been. A celebration of the breed and its verstility in the show ring and the field. We are all associated with the best dogs on the planet, should it be showing off its beautiful lines for everyone to gasp and admire, or racing them at blinding speeds around a course, or training them to emulate their ancestors, in doing so also helping to check the pest population. The list is endless.

We all have the best dogs at home and are collectively showing the world how good we are at bringing our dogs to their peak. Rejoice in each others attempts and give respect for the effort and patience it takes to get our dogs there. Sometimes it is an effort !!

Well done Keith.

June Jonigk said:
k4tie-d said:
You're in for a real treat. Good luck with your new pup, and be sure to post lots of pics :thumbsup:

lewington said:
K4tied you must be starting to count how many sleeps to go!
thanks guys definatly cant wait, and yes counting down the days :D

i just dont understand why there are lots of people on here who argue about things like this. think keith is bang on, in proving show girls can do it cause i think any dog could do it if trained properly.

lewington said:
...and one more thing .. hope I am not too off topic...
my whippets are rubbish as watch dogs!  We had a couple of prowlers around the outside of the house one night - when we went down to put the lights on and ring the police not a peep out of the whippets even though they knew there were intruders out there!

Is it just a myth or were they originally bred as poachers dogs therefore not noisy - would love to know  :)

Thats strange because my three would never let anyone past the front door

without making one hell of a noise ... :lol: at least OSCAR is the best guard dog in here... :thumbsup: he is brill. I never stop them either...

Kieth thats a great picture of Jill.. :thumbsup:

and Katie you are going to have so much fun with your new baby Ruby, Im so jealous... :lol: :huggles: :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back