The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Nail Clipping...dogs Reactions

Janimal

Addicted
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Would anyone like to advise me what to do with Kobi now Ive found out he dosn't like (an understatement) the nail clippers. (w00t)

He is petrified (w00t) (w00t) so I resorted to filing them just a bit.

Would you play with his toes every day to get him used to it, use treats etc.

The very word Nail Clippers sends him scarpering outside or to his crate (w00t) (w00t)

Dont know if hes had a bad experience, certainly wasnt with me as I just tried to cut them for the first time the other day and he whinces and whines right out before I even so much as touch him. :(

Oscar is fine having his done. :thumbsup:

Just thought you experts with the multi-dog households could give me some tips on how to approach him with them.??

Last edited by a moderator:
Sienna sits very nicely, Callie shivers from start to finish and Spry usually has to be held cos she tries to eat the clippers (w00t) I find it best when they are all very tired or just sitting with me they usually can't be bothered to move then :lol:

Tam and Ricky just lie on the couch getting their's done :D ,,they dont bother one bit,,but Robbie hate's it :( , scream's the place down, but only on his front feet, when I do the back he is fine :blink: . If I touch his toes on the front he wimper's till I stop :( . He just does not like his toes being touched,,he never tries to bite when I do his nails,,a wee o:)

Harry hated his being done,but now he is not so bad,i would talk to him gently saying what a good boy he is being,it seems to work,most of the time.

Max hates it!!! its takes two of us to do his.

I think you've got the best idea Janis - just touch them and reward him for letting you touch them. Then biuld up to clipping one nail at a time, then two etc. Have you got a clicker?

I do the same as Lesley - just wait until they are settled and getting acuddle and then clip their nails while they are asleep or too tired to argue o:)

were same as Lesley and rae. we do them after they been for a walk/run and are then panned out to be bothered move :D

Nana doesn't seem to really mind. Tess detests it. She gets a piece of cheese per nail and now just about accepts it.

i found over the years that you have to act confidently and have a no nonsense approach.if you start to be sympathetic and say now then darling mummy isnt going to hurt you they will take the mickey and scream blue murder! (w00t) wait till theyre tired and have had a good dinner.theyre less likely to argue then.and always give them a big cuddle and a treat afterwards so they remember something good after the trauma!(this is sometimes known as blackmail!) :- "

kris said:
i found over the years that you have to act confidently and have a no nonsense approach.if you start to be sympathetic and say now then darling mummy isnt going to hurt you they will take the mickey and scream blue murder! (w00t) wait till theyre tired and have had a good dinner.theyre less likely to argue then.and always give them a big cuddle and a treat afterwards so they remember something good after the trauma!(this is sometimes known as blackmail!) :- "

Sorry Kris I did laugh at your reply :lol: :lol: .... :- " mmm that does rather sound a lot like me Im afraid :- " will have to resolve to different tactics :lol:

I taught all of my lot the "flat" command which is great :) ........I alway's play with their feet and reward them with praise and tripe sticks after they've had their nail's cut :thumbsup: .......Mad thing is now they can't wait to have their nail's done and when I say "next", I end up with a pile of Whippet's lying on their side's in anticipation lol :blink: :lol:

I had a dog once who would scream blue murder and writhe around and kick etc and he was such a soft tempered dog that I felt I just couldn't go mad at him so I persisted for ages with the calming voice and the treats and the soothing etc and it never made one iota of difference. Then one day in the middle of one of his tantrums I got really angry and I yelled and I smacked. :b He was perfect from that moment on!

It's not the recommended treatment but for that particular dog it worked.

I think the trouble that most people have with nail cutting is that they are not confident themselves. They are essentially worried that they are going to hurt the dog if he squirms and this anxiety relays to the dog.

IF you can get some practice on a dog who is already good with it you can become more confident yourself and once you can be confident with your own dog that is the first step to making the whole process easier. I've had people say to me that they can't possibly cut their dog's nails because of the way the dog carries on and yet when I take the dog to do it I don't have much trouble. They know by the way you hold them and talk to them that you mean business and you know what you're doing. :)

Thanks Lana - some really good advice there. :thumbsup: Im probably NOT confident enough when Im doing his. :blink: Oscar is different altogether - a bit of a wimp but will let me get on doing them. I feel more confident doing his.

Will have another go with Kobi today and tomorrow and the day after and the day after that...... :lol: till he gets better with me.

Thanks everyone for the replies. :thumbsup:

OEH said:
Nana doesn't seem to really mind.  Tess detests it.  She gets a piece of cheese per nail and now just about accepts it.
Methinks Tess is a very clever girlie and it was all just an act to get CHEESE :- "

Strike Whippets said:
I taught all of my lot the "flat" command which is great  :) ........I alway's play with their feet and reward them with praise and tripe sticks after they've had their nail's cut  :thumbsup: .......Mad thing is now they can't wait to have their nail's done and when I say "next", I end up with a pile of Whippet's lying on their side's in anticipation lol  :blink:   :lol:
Loved this story Strike, it must be fantastic to watch (w00t)

Tracy Chamberlain said:
OEH said:
Nana doesn't seem to really mind.  Tess detests it.  She gets a piece of cheese per nail and now just about accepts it.
Methinks Tess is a very clever girlie and it was all just an act to get CHEESE :- "

You might well have a point :- " but I don't care- she could have the cheese anyway my little angel o:)

I've basically got her weaned to one piece per foot now, but sometimesI feel generous :b

Molly screams and pees herself when we try to clip her nails :( She was very roughly handled by her original owner's son and we think she's been hurt in the past having it done.

We have to get one nail at a time when she's asleep, by the time she wakes up she doesn't realise what we've just done as long as we're quick enough.

Phoenyx said:
We have to get one nail at a time when she's asleep, by the time she wakes up she doesn't realise what we've just done as long as we're quick enough.
:lol: :lol: Brilliant!!

We've just started doing ours. We do them after their evening walk when they are tired out. We make loads of fuss over them and play with their feet and just do one naill then make a fuss over them again and keep doing this.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back