The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Bwra Ruling

Have a look in the whippet news, breeders to continue to outcross to greyhounds /2 generations, that means a 2 generation gap before the offspring are to be put back to a full greyhound.

There is no need for another vote John.The passed proposal put into practise,means exactly what it says.You cannot put a half cross whippet/greyhound back to a full greyhound,nor can you put any offspring from the said half cross bred to a whippet,back to a full greyhound.The onus in the passed proposal was breeding to a full greyhound,nothing else.
:thumbsup:

SO I CAN LINE MAGICAL DREAMS TO A WHIPPET X GREYHOUND IS THAT RIGHT OR NOT

I suppose you can, Graham. But I have another question. I know the purpose-bred racers are likely to do the best, but I thought any dog that looked like a whippet was allowed to race in non-ped racing -- for instance if you get a rescue whippet and don't have any information on its parentage?

Have a look in the whippet news, breeders to continue to outcross to greyhounds /2 generations, that means a 2 generation gap before the offspring are to be put back to a full greyhound.
OK THATS WHAT I FAULT :wacko:

I suppose you can, Graham. But I have another question. I know the purpose-bred racers are likely to do the best, but I thought any dog that looked like a whippet was allowed to race in non-ped racing -- for instance if you get a rescue whippet and don't have any information on its parentage?

The way it stand at present ...you can have a whippet x deerhound x greyhound , which you can run but you cannot breed it back to a greyhound if you planning on running the pups lol

Was I the only one on here who attended the AGM?As I remember it and as Alison has recorded it in the Whippet News,the only proposal that was discussed at length was the Capping proposal,because I queried it.I thought your's was a suggestion at the reps meeting Tony and not a proposal?Either way the breeding proposal that Marie put forward and we as members voted on, is self explanatory.No mention of the breeding of w/g to w/g

karen ive been up aycliffe track all day with alison colin and lynne weve talked at great length about this breeding proposal and the committee HAVE brought it in wich includes no breeding of 2 half crosses -_- thats the way its been took this proposal should never have gone through and i think the blame lies with the reps there are a lot of pups cant be regestered as this rule stands :clown: the whole proposal should be scrappes the 55 cap should be enough to make people breed down in size

someone should contact a committee member if they dont beleive me it needs sorting out quick

Was I the only one on here who attended the AGM?As I remember it and as Alison has recorded it in the Whippet News,the only proposal that was discussed at length was the Capping proposal,because I queried it.I thought your's was a suggestion at the reps meeting Tony and not a proposal?Either way the breeding proposal that Marie put forward and we as members voted on, is self explanatory.No mention of the breeding of w/g to w/g

karen ive been up aycliffe track all day with alison colin and lynne weve talked at great length about this breeding proposal and the committee HAVE brought it in wich includes no breeding of 2 half crosses -_- thats the way its been took this proposal should never have gone through and i think the blame lies with the reps there are a lot of pups cant be regestered as this rule stands :clown: the whole proposal should be scrappes the 55 cap should be enough to make people breed down in size

How many pups will this effect? The reason I ask is because it would be useful to have some figures to present to the committee when an argument is being presented. Not only that but one of you is going to have to come up with some kind of workable solution to the problem that currently exists within whippet racing.

I don't think anyone will overturn the rule without someone presenting something that will prevent DEFRA from scrutinizing us.

Out of interest, Dee was the one who warned us about our vulnerability to this legislation. As such does the NNWRF also have plans instigated to protect themselves?

2) Breeders to continue to outcross to greyhounds but after an outcross progeny may not be out crossed to another greyhound for two generations.

Okay Ive been confused since this prop went in ...the way it read to me is

1/ You can breed a greyhound bitch to a whippet dog which has no greyhound blood in it for 2 generation ie... wor john , stag posses, chunky, hellbound etc ... or visa versa greyhound dog to a whippet bitch ...These pups would be okay to register

2/ you could not breed a greyhound to a stud dog that has 1 or 2 generation of greyhound in it ..ie magical dreams , sugar daddy, deneside belle etc

3/ you can not breed a whippet / greyhound to a whippet greyhound because the two generations outcross progeny...ie SUGAR DADDY ( sugar fire x ghd) x MISS TORI( gdh x miss Ellie)

STORM WARRIOR(sugar pace x ghd) x MANDY'S DREAM (ghd x Mandy's dream)

TYE BOUND ( spell bound x ghd) x SUGAR SWEET ( sugar fire x ghd)

Hi everyone

Just to let you all know the BWRA committee are discussing this issue at length. We hope to have a solution before the end of the day. Please be patient.

No sarky comments please

Regards

Joyce Thoburn

Treasurer

Hi everyone
Just to let you all know the BWRA committee are discussing this issue at length. We hope to have a solution before the end of the day. Please be patient.

No sarky comments please

Regards

Joyce Thoburn

Treasurer
Nice one aunty Joyce :thumbsup:

How many pups will this effect? The reason I ask is because it would be useful to have some figures to present to the committee when an argument is being presented. Not only that but one of you is going to have to come up with some kind of workable solution to the problem that currently exists within whippet racing.

I don't think anyone will overturn the rule without someone presenting something that will prevent DEFRA from scrutinizing us.

Out of interest, Dee was the one who warned us about our vulnerability to this legislation. As such does the NNWRF also have plans instigated to protect themselves?

It would depend on if you go back 1 generation or 2 generation ...to off spring already born at present that needs registering...also if owners of these off spring have or haven't registered there pups already last year...if so the registrar may find that some are registered and others out the same litter can not because of the immediate start date of the newly passed proposals

In answer to the second part of your post ...I gave my own opinion on k9 as to how defra would see some of our larger sized whippets crossers racing, ... i never ever gave a solution ...personally Ive raced whippets for nearly 30 years and i wouldn't know where to start ... theres always been greyhound like whippets racing from what i can remember the moaning and rule changing only started a few years ago from new comers

2) Breeders to continue to outcross to greyhounds but after an outcross progeny may not be out crossed to another greyhound for two generations.
Okay Ive been confused since this prop went in ...the way it read to me is
The above proposal can only be interpreted correctly in one way. That is, after an outcross of a whippet to a greyhound the progeny cannot be crossed to another greyhound for two generations because that is what the proposal says; the propsal doesn't say you cannot outcross to a whippet/ghd of any percentage. A greyhound is not a whippet/ghd cross but is a strict definition of a specific breed of dog. A whippet/ghd hybrid is not a ghd and there is no possible way the term "greyhound" in the proposal can be interpreted as meaning or including whippet/ghd hybrids. To interpret the proposal any other way than not being able to go back to a pure bred ghd for two generations is simply wrong. It's not semantics its incorrectly interpreting the english language.

Members have voted on the proposal as written and not an incorrect interpretation of it. Whether other members or the BWRA committee like it or not that proposal should be implemented and not a totaly different proposal based on an incorrect interpretation of basic english language.

Last edited by a moderator:
this has nothing to do with the fed theres not many dogs over 55 pound anyway ,this bwra proposal has not been thought through somewhere along the line

Dee,

whether there have been ghd types running for years or not isn't relevant. The rules from DEFRA have only recently been introduced and so what went on before these rules has no bearing on what may occur now. The fact is that racing organisations would find it very difficult to defend themselves against breach of the new rules if DEFRA investigated bend racing where 50lb plus 7/8 ghd 1/8 whippet crosses where racing for prize money. I simply can't see DEFRA, any expert opinion or any court accepting such dogs as being whippets or the race as being a whippet race

I don't like getting into these discussions but imo the rule states "cannot breed to a greyhound" for 2 generations. This means that two first crosses should be able to be mated. To say they cannot would be going against the ruling and therefore would be illegal.

Tony not all 7/8 ghd 1/8 whippet crosses are 50lb and over...come to think of it some greyhounds are under 50lb .. if we as whippet racers want to be sure defra would not see our scr dogs as greyhound like , we would have to go back to the 32/ 35 lb cap ... or insist our scr racers provided there dogs DNA for proof to cover our organizations

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back