The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Puppie

jkbjackson

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

Im thinking about getting a 11 week old whippet but i have a one year old son. I have been told whippets will be a great family pet but i dont know to much about them. Do you think its a good idea to get one while my son is so young?

Any advise would help.

Thanks

hi and wecome to k9!

i know this prob isnt what u want to hear but i would think twice about getting a young pup with such a young child. not that there would be any issues with agression just that puppies are very demanding, they need a huge amount of time, attention and training. would u have enough time and energy to give your little lad and pup both the attention they need.

perhaps a older dog that is used to children, there are loads of rescue centers

http://www.thewhippetclub.com/jr_whippet_rescue.php

or if u are dead set on a pup give it abit of time.

hope this helps

emma

jkbjackson said:
Hi,
Im thinking about getting a 11 week old whippet but i have a one year old son. I have been told whippets will be a great family pet but i dont know to much about them. Do you think its a good idea to get one while my son is so young?

Any advise would help.

Thanks

hi there, we have 2 pups, had them since 8 weeks, and 2 kids one is nearly 4 and the other is 2years old, we have not had any major problems with them, but like

emma said they take up a tone of time, and if you do have such a young child will you have enough time and energy for a pup aswell.

im quite glad my son isnt any younger as we took the buggy out on a walk once and i found it quite hard to controll a buggy and a dog on a lead at the same time by myself, so its good that he is old enough to do the walking with us.

if you go in to the FAQ section, there lots of information in there about whippets and pups, i found it really helpfull.

good luck :huggles:

Good luck with your choice. :luck:

I had one of my whippets when my daughter was aged 2-3 years old...as Katie says they do take up a lot of your time. You need lots of patience and time to deal with a new puppy...but kids and puppies can work, if you are prepared to put the time and effort in... :huggles:

You must be prepared for a few sleepless nights, and accidents in the house...but if you do lots of preparation and ground work beforehand and you know what you are letting yourself in for....do lots of homework....Im sure everything will be fine. :luck:

This is a picture of my 12 month old Whippet with a friends 18 month old daughter - Bluebells first experience of a child that small.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back