The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Season 2009

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Great photos, thanks for putting them on, lots of smiling faces :D , glad you had a good day, it was so sweet watching your wee boy taking Paddy round in the dog show :thumbsup:

Yet more photos from Sunday's racing...

I'll just post a taster of a couple of pictures here. You can view all 23 on the Cally Thistle Flickr account (perhaps someone else can post up the individual piccies with names?):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36886480@N02/...3759135/detail/

3416787419_d3270a1a19.jpg

3417581968_1df6754f47.jpg

3416991335_86b050d287.jpg

3418161098_5f6a5dce4f.jpg

Sorry there aren't pictures of all the dogs. We've got lots of piccies of Whippet bums disappearing out of frame, pictures of patches of grass and pictures of Whippet-shaped blurs :) But Paul says he'll keep trying to get nice shots of everyone. He'll also get lots of video and slow motion video over the coming weeks.

And the Beagles.....

A nice one of Murphy:

3416534062_a67d8f0386.jpg

Sophie and Beanie (red):

3415502795_50d9ce9134.jpg

And the little Biggly boy:

3416285542_f1e565afcd.jpg

More beagle picture on Beanie & Biggles blog.

Everyone got to win a race thanks to Graeme's great handicapping system :)

AND FINALLY - Especially for Jill & Graeme. The trauma of seeing a Whippet's butt kicked by a Beagle seems to have blotted the event from their minds. So here it is again from last July - Beanie vs Rosie the Whippet :

dsc00737.jpg

Just a little taste of things to come ;)

Forgot to mention....

Sophie the Beagle's owner had a couple of concerns about Sophie a while back and took her to a top dog behaviouralist. It turned out that a lot of Sophies problems were down to the stress of certain activities that she took part in. The behaviouralist felt that most canine sports were bad for lots of dogs as they caused too much stress.

Sophie's owner told the behaviouralist that they'd been going to racing and showed her the pictures from last week. The behaviouralist was very impressed and said that it was the first canine sport she'd seen where ALL of the dogs looked thoroughly happy and relaxed. She teaches and she asked if she could use our photos in her lectures as an example of the right way to do things!

:cheers: :cheers: GREAT PICTURES :cheers: :cheers:

Superb pics Paul, jumped on some other thread and found all the pics, cracking mate, love the ones of the final with litter sisters and brother, Bertie scr---Gwen-3---Rosie-3 and a half, BIG Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerties first trophy in da bag oih oih oih.! :p :D

No pics of the Whippets this week - just video. Mostly slow motion. We'll post it up later when it's all been uploaded. But for now a little taster.....

"Bat Out of Hell" and "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" didn't quite fit with the slow motion film I'm afraid!

We'll do a really nice movie when we've got enough footage.

No pics of the Whippets this week - just video. Mostly slow motion. We'll post it up later when it's all been uploaded. But for now a little taster.....
"Bat Out of Hell" and "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" didn't quite fit with the slow motion film I'm afraid!

Wow - that is FANTASTIC (w00t) ....... More please :thumbsup:

Your the man Paul, love wee Teds run, infact love em all, magic day yesterday, Big Bertie just seems to be improving every week, loved the trial with my favorite non peddy---the Toby fella, in my eyes Tobies flyin at the moment, race was Toby scr---Bertie 3---Toby wins by a short head in a good time, young Bertie was busting a gut to try and beat Toby, not to be on this occasion, maybe next time, young Bertie done a real good time for a peddy, Bertie says Cheers Toby, now i know your moves--ROLL on next week.! :D :thumbsup:

A question for you dog racing experts!!!

Are there any 'features' or physical characteristics that are associated with dogs that are able to run faster than others of their breed?

The reason I ask, is that on Sunday there were a couple of new dogs - Dudley and Chief. Both of these dogs were spectacularly fast given it was their first time. Chief is only about 10 months old but his owners keep him very fit. Dudley never gets off-lead so he doesn't get the opportunity to do any running other than in his own garden. Yet in the first part of his race he was beating Murphy - he ran out of steam (or got distracted) half way down the course. But obviously he's got natural ability. And as you know, Beanie is very fast too - especially when you consider how small she is.

Anyway, Dudley and Beanie are litter mates and Chief comes from the same breeder and has many of the same dogs in his pedigree. Beanie plays with another of her littermates in the park - Bella. Hopefully she'll be at the racing soon. She's a bit overweight and not as fit as Beanie. But she's still fast.

So it seems that Liz Calikes breeds fast Beagles! Just wondering what kind of things you look for in Whippets when looking for a fast dog, and wondering if any of the same is true in Beagles?

:D :D WHOOPEE ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, LOVED IT ALL

Keep up the good work

Maggie xx

Hi,

Haven't had time to do a write-up yet on Beanie's blog, but here are links to the two sets of pictures and videos from yesterday's racing. There's a long sequence of a little guy ploughing into the lure - really chuffed with that one! Hope you like 'em

Whippets

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36886480@N02/...8669097/detail/

Beagles

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27172079@N08/...57617058758478/

(More argy-bargy than actual racing this time & the Beanster got totally put off in the final - hopefully things will be better next week)

When viewing the above links, click on each picture to see it medium size, then click on "All Sizes" if you want the option to see it larger, and get a better quality version to download and/or print.

P.S. Maggie I promise I'll take a good photo of you next Sunday!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Scooby and Jill's dogs?
Thanks for that :thumbsup: slow-mo is great eh! that's my wee Ruby bringing up the rear and she did begin in front... bless her :b :lol: the photos are great too.

Nice race--Bertie the ped, Toby the non ped and Ruby the ped.! Wee Toby trapped like a ROCKET.! BA BYE written all over him.! :D

The slow motion video of Bertie, Toby and Ruby is fantastic, its amazing to see their movement :thumbsup:

Not many good piccies of Sunday's Whippet racing - these were the only nice ones:

3479638887_531df5037f.jpg

3479640433_7423d091f2.jpg

3480448982_f7ef7a0643.jpg

3480450842_c81477b231.jpg

You can get high resolution copies for printing on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36886480@N02/...9541937/detail/

Of the beagle pictures this one is my favorite:

3480257326_e3fcfaa4f4.jpg

High res copies of ALL the beagle racing photos are here (but you'll need to rummage around to find the ones you want):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27172079@N08/...57616004036159/

Good luck to everyone on Sunday!!!! Paul says he'll do his best to good nice footage of everyone running.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back