The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Sighthound puppy mum here...

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have just found out today that he has a terrible infection running through that has been building for a few weeks. God knows where these people had been keeping him, or how he was really being looked after.
Anyway he has had and injection of antibiotics and painkiller. I have to give him antibiotics twice a day for the next 7 days.
He is on nutriment puppy mix and his poos have been good, the same as any raw fed. Bless him he has been eating. I wonder how long he had been full of worms as I don't believe for one minute that they wormed or flead him as he had both...

Hi there how do I post photos on here that are too big for the forum as I can't seems to make it work.

Also I thought he was doing really good when I went out, I now realise that was probably more to do with him not feeling too energetic with the recent Infection. He had causdd his nail to bleed trying to get out kf the room today when I went out. Should I put him in a crate for when I leave him? Any ideas welcome

There is software available online for resizing photos... I don't know the details (you'll probably find instructions if you search this forum for 'resize' or 'resizing), but what I do is upload photos to Flickr and post from there.

It sounds as if he's not happy being left. If he's not used to a crate, shutting him one could result in him being even less happy and scared of crates, and he could also do even more damage if he tries to break out. Have a read of this post (and subsequent discussion) that I wrote on another forum: https://positively.com/forum/viewto...7_jPlax26I19eaZ9tNeki8U8t9xVlme4IgAYOeJN6gzUA

You can't just put him in a crate, it takes quite a bit of training and to be honest if he was so distressed at you being out of the room, I think a crate would be a big ask for him.

I'd start with the flitting game, developed by Emma Judson. She describes it about 2/3 of the way down the page in this link - https://www.thecanineconsultants.co.uk/blog/separation-anxiety-fact-vs-fiction

Thank You I will have a read. Any tips of how others got their pups need to them going out?

Thank You I will have a read. Any tips of how others got their pups need to them going out?
It is literally a case little by little. Main thing is that you don't make number of it...when going out or coming in. I started first by going on yard...closing the back door for few minutes and then back in again. Few times a day at first for few days....then few minutes longer...and so on. But you have to behave like you are not doing anything unusual...no fuss before hand, nor after so that you coming and going is becoming norm that your dog gets used to happening and gradually stretching that separation period. Or you may start by doing something outside for a moment..maybe it can still see you at first and keep eye on you...and then progress for a moment going out of sight...and back again and so on...

The insecurity may stem from his start in life, of which you may not know much. So, it could be more extreme and ingrained than usual puppy worries. For example, the sighthound we have at the moment was in a pound inIreland at 10 weeks, came over on the ferry (in a noisy dog transporter probably) to a rescue on the mainland, and we adopted him at 16 weeks, so 4 different places (original home/pound/rescue/us) within 4 months. He chewed everything - Lino, skirting boards. He chewed holes in the plasterboard. He ate gravel, and you couldn’t raise your voice. He didn’t have separation issues as he got seriously mothered by our retriever, who always acted as mum to any new pups we introduced, and especially adopted by our other lurcher, who took him over as her own. She looked like a very proud and devoted mum, <3. It was lovely to see. But, the chewing displacement behaviour went on for quite some time. So it may require a lot of patience to help him come to terms with his anxiety.

Thank you for your tips and reassurance. He doesn't seem to like being in the kitchen when I go out. He has a rate and toys in there with water and the radio on. I am wondering whether to leave him in the living room as it's a more normal environment and just hope to god I come back to find the place reasonably in tact...

I’m inclined to think the location won’t make any difference to what sounds like real separation anxiety. If I was really anxious about being on my own, it wouldn’t matter if I lived in a palace. I’d want out. Best thing to do probably is as much research as possible on separation anxiety from reliable sources on the internet.

And, if you’re not on it already, I’d suggest joining the Lurcher Link forum, if it’s still about. Sighthounds have some very specific traits, and you should get some good specific advice there from people for whom lurchers are a way of life. Just be careful you don’t end up rescuing another one! :)

I’m inclined to think the location won’t make any difference to what sounds like real separation anxiety.

I agree - the key is to NOT leave him for longer than he is OK with. Which at the beginning may be simply putting your shoes on. When/if you have to go out and can't take him, arrange for someone else to be with him, either at your house or theirs.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back