The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

leashedForLife

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

we joined the widespread community of "Ppl without Power" overnight, when our electricity abruptly cut-off around 10:30-pm. [This time, there was no emergency generator in the backyard...]
thankfully, i was getting ready for bed at the time, & aside from stubbing my toe on the bedstead in the darkness, i was fine. :oops:

I wasn't sure if our furnace needed electricity to operate, but just in case, i draped my down-coat over me, atop the sheet & comforter, for extra insulation, before i fell asleep - while reading with my mobile-phone as a flashlight. :rolleyes:

I was awakened at 9-AM when my humidifier signaled a shut-down, & the table lamp at the foot of the bed switched on - the power was back!
The radiator was stone-cold & the room was chilly, but we were back in civilization, at least.

The snow last night was a very-quick switch from rain to sloppy goose-feather snow of clustered wet flakes, an inch or more across - it fell thick & fast, so that in 15-mins, there was over an inch on the ground, altho the roadway under the bus had 2 clear paths from passing wheels.
By the time i debarked, 2-inches covered the sidewalks, & it was still falling fast & heavy, so I opened my umbrella to keep my down-coat from getting soggy, as it was very wet snow. // Over 4-inches accumulated overnite, & it's still snowing, fine powder sifting down steadily & lightly.

I'll get some good photos today, to share... I love snow, & we have many beautiful or different houses in the neighborhood, with architecture that spans over 200 years of style & materials. :)
I'm also going to take a train-trip north, to my fave charity-shop - i need some long-sleeved shirts, of cotton, linen, silk, or rayon, & a couple of sleeveless vests would be nice. // The views from the train should be wonderful.

Hoping everyone is snug, safe, & warm, in a lighted house,
- terry

@leashedForLife was the electricity cut off on purpose or just a power cut??

The whole of our town had one last week at around 6pm. I was in the middle of preparing dinner and had things cooking in the oven. It was so strange seeing the whole road in darkness! Thank goodness we have a big candle store!

Weather damage - we were in the midst of another Nor-easter, & either wind [a branch, a pole going down, etc] or the sheer wt of snow & ice on lines, took a connecting line out.

The incredible damage on one street in Watertown to the local power grid on Friday of last week, during a separate storm, was phenomenal - about 2-dozen power poles were felled by high winds, falling into a major artery [Arsenal st], & hanging suspended over the roadway!
In another area, live-lines draped across the street, & of course, the fact that the poles fell INTo the street was actually a blessing - had they fallen onto the houses & businesses "behind" them, multiple fires could have broken out, & fire-crews would have been unable to reach entire blocks of buildings. // That would have been catastrophic, not only in property damage, but possibly many lives lost, as well.

here are some local pix of Arsenal after the poles crashed -

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 12.47.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 12.48.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 12.50.03 PM.png

Last Friday at 10:30-pm, when i went to bed, 300K ppl were without power.
By Sat at noon, the total in MA alone had grown to 490K, as transformers, lines, & poles failed.

I was lucky to avoid the mess in Watertown, i'd already left & was in Somerville when it happened - then later that afternoon, when the power failed while i was at work in Melrose, my client [who depends on a power-chair & an inflatable-mattress, electric hospital bed] has an emergency generator in their backyard, & it ran the whole house for over an hour, while our neighbors had no power whatever.
Twice lucky! - in one day. :) I had to reset 5 clocks in the house, & the cable-box had to reload all its data - otherwise, we had no problems.

Meanwhile, across the street, 2 houses had minor flooding in their basements, when their sump-pumps died during the power failure.

Losing power overnite was nothing compared to the heartbreak in some areas - entire neighborhoods are evacuated, & some will be uninhabitable for months, per the State govt. Oceanside flooding & serious damage to many homes, & power won't be restored for weeks.

I'll be going to Seaport for the annual flower-show next week - i hope there are no transit or power issues, there.
I missed it last year, & don't want to miss it again.
- terry

various storm damage - mostly along the coast, some interior:

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 1.04.12 PM.png

the [massively-overpriced!] flowers i bought last night, after work -
spider-mums & mini-sunflowers, with baby's-breath & a stem of heather.

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 2.16.57 PM.png

Wow such damage - it’s scary to see!

What lovely colourful houses :)

Flowers brighten everything up - I like to have daphodiles in the house. It reminds me that spring is coming

Flowers brighten everything up - I like to have daffodils in the house. It reminds me that spring is coming.

I love fresh flowers, but that small bouquet [7 stems - 3 mum, 2 sunnies, 1 each of baby's-breath & heather] cost me over $24 + tax. :eek:
I bought them primarily to share with my 81-YO "landlady" [who isn't, really - but she lives there, while the man i pay my weekly rent to, does not. His very-elderly G'mom owns the house, & she lives in the Philippines].

The day after Valentine's, after seeing my PCP for my much-delayed annual appt, i saw a gorgeous florist's shop & bought a ginormous bouquet of daisy-flowered mums - half white, half yellow, with Xmas ferns & a few deep-green tree branches, with glossy pointed-oval leaves.
2 dozen stems of mums, plus about 8 stems of greens - he gave me a wholesale discount, & i paid about $40.

Then i bought myself a single mauve rose to wear as a boutonniere, to remind myself *NOT* to pick up my backpack with my right arm [where the tech drew blood for testing - CBC, neutrophils, fasting-glucose, LDL/HDL, etc].
The boutonniere alone, which i made myself with the shop's paper floral tape, plus a corsage-pin, cost me $4.

- terry

some more local pix, as promised -
the view from my 2nd-floor sun porch
[It's a poorly-insulated space that's hot in summer & cold in winter, but bright & inviting, & i try to moderate the temps - in summer, a fan blows AC-air in from my bedroom thru the connecting window, as this was once outside space; I lower the blinds, too, & i'll B adding room-darkening / noise-damping curtains, bought on clearance; in winter, i bought a small Vortex ceramic heater with a fan-only setting, for added heat or for circulating what heat is there].

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 3.05.41 PM.png

Note the house in the upper right, with the odd roofline? - more of that one...

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 3.13.11 PM.png

that house was originally T-shaped, with the stem at the street, & the crossbar at the back.
There was a veranda to each side; the steep dormers to each side of the main entry are the addition, which is 2-story with an attic space [the tiny windows].

I love the small multi-pane windows to each side of the main door, in the foyer - originally, they'd have been stained glass, but they're still beautiful, i think. :)
- terry

a brick house, with a columned entry, hand-wrought iron banister, & a hand-built cobble wall to support the yard, which is above street level -

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 3.25.28 PM.png

The entry door & sidelights are circa 1890 - the windows have been removed & replaced with modern ones, i wish they'd kept the arched upper panes in the new, better-insulated double-pane sashes. :(

- t

eyebrow windows are a nice architectural detail -
also notice the original mansard roof, the dormers to each side are additions to raise the ceilings upstairs & make the bedrooms more spacious. // Also, another hand-built stone retaining wall.

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 3.32.39 PM.png

their next-door neighbor's retaining wall - an amateur job, not well done, but interesting.
[It's not going to last a century, tho - look at the cracks.]

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 3.35.57 PM.png

When constructing a stone wall, the BIGGEST heaviest rocks form the top course -
that makes the entire wall move up & down vertically, as a unit, when frost inevitably thrusts it upward. They hold the smaller pieces under them stable, & the wall becomes a single mass. // The big stones at the bottom allows the smaller rocks above to move up, back, sideways, or to the front - where they can fall out & become missing teeth, weakening the entire wall & slowly causing it to crumble.

I built 3 drystone retaining-walls over 25-years ago for Habitat for Humanity, along with a patio beneath their street-level deck on the floor above, on a single property in Bellefonte, PA - on an alley, with a very steep slope from street-level to backyard. I'd love to know how my work is holding up. :)

- terry

can you not contact the council? i would.

No "councils" here, @Violet Turner - I wish!
& my closest friends in the Bellefonte area have both died [my ob-gyn & dear friend of many years, Corene Johnston, was predeceased by her 2nd hubby, John Haag - poet emeritus of Penn State].

I'd have to travel there myself to see it. :shrug: There's no one i can think of that i could ask to stop by, especially as i don't know the street address. // I know how to get there on foot, LOL... maybe i can figure it out via Google Maps - it depends upon whether they have street-view of the surrounding streets, or even the alley.

- t

I think the house was on Hale Alley, but the closest i can get via street-view is High st & Ridge. :(

Bellefonte has a lovely skyline & many gorgeous Edwardian & Victorian homes, plus an old hotel, classic courthouse, century-old storefronts, etc. // Wealthy folks built their mansions with patterned roofs of 2 to 4 colors of slate, as a visible brag - each color came from a different quarry, & was transported separately.

the 2nd-floor walk-up here is another Habitat house that i worked on - when it rained, water ran THRU their living-room, from that steep slope! It was a rental, & the landlord wouldn't fix the many problems, the tenant did not have $$$ to take it to court.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.34.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.34.42 PM.png
    808.6 KB · Views: 344

this is the old hotel, which is apparently razed - there's an empty lot where it once stood, full of gravel & heavy equipment, on the street-view Google by the park, beside the creek. :(
We used to borrow their upstairs rooms to rehearse for community theatre performances, then eat pizza downstairs.

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.48.09 PM.png

some random shots of my favorite Bellefonte homes - plus the park below the Big Spring.
The town is home to the largest all-year artesian spring east of the Mississippi, & Lafayette named it 'belle fonte!' after taking a drink, & admiring the endless flow. // hence the town name.

the horse-drawn hack carried passengers who arrived at the train station in Bellefonte, over to State College, PA - home of "the Farmer's High School", Abe Lincoln's land-grant agriculture school, which became Penn State - my alma mater.

- t

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.52.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.53.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.53.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.53.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.55.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.56.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.57.01 PM.png

the old State Theatre in State College, which has a proscenium upstairs in a disused room - another wonderful [if small!] rehearsal space for the Bellefonte Community Theatre.

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 7.17.58 PM.png

a scenic engraved / printed postcard of Bellefonte as seen from Half-moon Hill -

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.57.43 PM.png

the pedestrian bridge near the old Match Factory, Bellefonte -

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 7.18.47 PM.png

the Bellefonte RR station -

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 7.20.34 PM.png

a 2nd Empire mansion in Bellefonte -

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 7.25.23 PM.png

I used to pass this house late at night, after closing the Elks Club on High St [I was the bartender].
It's a bit spooky at 2-am on a moonlit night, but even-more beautiful when it's eerie.

- t

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back