The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Otty The Deerhound

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Thank you so much, that might come in very handy as neither of us have any experience with deerhounds so not that sure what to expect - although each have experince with luchers, pointers (OH) and and Afghan (me) in the past so hopefully fairly well prepared - neither of us have brought up a puppy in a long time though!!

Haven't decided about dog or bitch yet, OH wants a dog, i'd actually prefer a bitch i think but technically this is david's dog as technically Fergal is mine (so he keeps telling me anyway - usually when Fergal has just eaten something expensive - again :- " )

The mum is called Stainlonan Cran, this is her second litter, and the dad is Glenfoybles Dalrymple, have seen pics of him on the website - he's a gorgeous dog - but then again they all are :))

Have decided to leave decisions about the sex until we go to meet the mum and puppies and just pick the puppy we like best regardless of girl or boy - doesn't matter too much as not planning to breed or do any serious showing or anything, just want a big hairy friend for Fergal to play with!

Hi,

you should get something good from there, especially the dogs side, I know his breeding, his mothers genotype is very impressive, Killoeter Onich, Ive seen this hound coursing many times, he also holds the record for male CC`s in the breed. His then co-owner, the late Shamus Caine was a lovely bloke. The sires dam is where I get excited, out of Roslyn Hectic, bred by Brian Doak from Newhouses in Londondeery, a good friend of mine. Hectic is out of Roslyn Flame, she is litter sister to my old bitch Fling, (Gwen) The pups mother I have not heard of, but will have a bit of a ratch to get some information.

The picture is ONICH, the pups granda on its da`s side

"egardsa"

Bill D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodness, you must be so pleased Siona.

My experience of Deerhounds is nowhere near as Doxhope's, by any means at all.

Just thought I'd congratulate you on your breed choice.

From my own limited experience I feel bitches of this breed are a lot more independant than the dogs, the dog's being a lot more attached (well in D/h terms thats relative!) to their owner. That's only my observation though...

I also know as well as all the good advice I got and I am sure you will get from the breeder, I enjoyed and referred to the book "Living with Deerhounds" by Kay Barret lots... finding it very practical and useful. The other D/hound books available are enjoyable and in historic terms facinating...but I found "LwD" very relevant in practical terms.

Hope you will let everyone know how how you get on. Enjoy!

Barbaras correct in my opinion, but I am biast, Ive always been a bitch man, with deerhounds and lurchers. Brian Doaks lines always through better bitches years ago, as did my breed.

But anyway, the breedings there. And quess what, you in an ideal position to keep us informed on the pups progress, plenty of pictures mind!!!!

Bill D. :)

Wow!! I'm so glad i found this place, it's nice to be know i can contact people with so much experience and knowledge of the breed if i run into any probs.

It's a bit weird that we know as much about this dog's family history as our own and we haven't even met him yet!! i suppose it's unavoidable in such a relatively rare breed that there's so much interconnection going on!! We've just realised that my OH, David was talking to Brian Doak at the Belfast dog show at the King's Hall this year but didn't realise who he was!!

Grandad is gorgeous, i really can't wait to meet the puppies, don't know how i'll cope though after i meet them to then have to wait a whole month to take him home (Notice the "him", am trying it out for a bit)

With all this talk of little Deerhounds thought I'd attach this image of Bella who is 6 months old, and lives with a whippet x and saluki x, (oh, and my friend!). Bella is from an unregistered litter, but has Killoeter on the sire side.

cute_eyes.JPG

Aaaaawwww,she's beautiful, it's amazing how quickly they change, she looks so grown up compared to DH puppies, but so young compared to the adults and only 6 mths old!!!

For those people on K9 who watched with great delight my big hairy thing flatly refusing to chase a plastic bag yesterday. Cuminating in him shying away from the lure when it made a noise and heading back to the start. :b

I have to point out that tonight he very narrowly missed getting his teeth into a squirrel. Now if only I could get a small or large furry non dog to run around a lure course then he'd chase it.

BeeJay said:
For those people on K9 who watched with great delight my big hairy thing flatly refusing to chase a plastic bag yesterday.  Cuminating in him shying away from the lure when it made a noise and heading back to the start.  :b
I have to point out that tonight he very narrowly missed getting his teeth into a squirrel.  Now if only I could get a small or large furry non dog to run around a lure course then he'd chase it.

I have a small furry yellow rat which might be of use ... can't run very fast but makes tantalising chimpy noises guaranteed to entice predators :lol:

P3201147.jpg

BeeJay,

There is no embarrasment in having an intelligent dog (at least I assume that's what you meant by big hairy thing).

Plastic bags are plastic bags and flying rabbits (oops, sorry) squirrels are squirrels. :thumbsup:

Some of the evidently knowledgeable deerhound folks on here may be able to answer a question for me ...

How recently were (are?) deerhounds used to hunt deer, and what is the history behind this?

That'll be one for Mr D!!!

I could provide information from books etc., but Doxhope is the man with the real experience and knowledge. Though I dont imagine he would have been around when deer were still legal quarry! ;)

wrong Barbara, I was around then!, armed with claymore and dressed in a kilt. Only joking

Until the recent ban on hunting with dogs, 2005, deer could be legaly taken in England, but not Scotland, with dogs, as long as the landowner or farmer had granted permission, proving the creatures had done some form of damage, this includes crops, wall, trees walls etc.. I was lucky enough to have permission on many farms and estates to work my deerhounds, on hare, rabbit, fox and in certain circumstances, roe deer, when in season.

Traditionaly deerhound were used to hunt red deer. Organised sporting events in recent times have switched to hare, both brown and blue, but als this is also now been banned....But rabbits can still be hunted with deerhounds, for the time being that is.

Bill D.

Hey Barbara,

I wish I possessed eyes like the ones belonging to your younster on the photo, if I had I wouldnt have lived life as a recluse and to die still a virgin,

Bill D.

Ah, Mr D,

Though your Deerhound information present and correct, sure any information regarding you being a recluse did not match any information regarding you that I previously encountered.

Any surviving evidence of those days of kilts,claymore's and dog's always welcome... maybe not on this site, but hey, someone asked did they not! However, before I am banned totally from this site, here goes

Baby in the photo is not mine...although Lurcherman she belong's to totally delighted with her, especially as she did not come with a KC reg. price tag.

Do you think I would be finding time myself, to be typing away on a chat forum if I possessed such a pair...

...Of eyes...sight hound indeed, my goodness, when it come's to the grey rugs would it not be more correct to term them sigh hounds!!!

Dont want to stray from the thread too far (would that be fraying?)...deerhound quote that for me says it all, regardless of their beauty, or any other of their many qualities, is from Kenneth Cassels, in "A Most Perfect Creature of Heaven" it refers to his bitch 'Gillie', he writes, for him a dog should be three things "a real friend and companion, a reasonable representative of its breed and able to do the work for which it was originally intended..." and it's not even the part I'v just quoted that gets me, for I agree that should apply to any dog given a decent chance, its when he writes that "All the world was her friend" of Gillie, that her nature as a deehound come's to life on the page for me.

ILoveKettleChips said:
BeeJay said:
For those people on K9 who watched with great delight my big hairy thing flatly refusing to chase a plastic bag yesterday.  Cuminating in him shying away from the lure when it made a noise and heading back to the start.   :b
I have to point out that tonight he very narrowly missed getting his teeth into a squirrel.  Now if only I could get a small or large furry non dog to run around a lure course then he'd chase it.

I have a small furry yellow rat which might be of use ... can't run very fast but makes tantalising chimpy noises guaranteed to entice predators :lol:

P3201147.jpg

He is not a rat. Smashing fella. :wub:

BeeJay said:
ILoveKettleChips said:
BeeJay said:
For those people on K9 who watched with great delight my big hairy thing flatly refusing to chase a plastic bag yesterday.  Cuminating in him shying away from the lure when it made a noise and heading back to the start.   :b

P3201147.jpg

He is not a rat. Smashing fella. :wub:

LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I nearly bought a round :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back