The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Otty The Deerhound

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
just wanted to leave a note in sympathy with barbara re: her experiences with dog not chasing plastic bag...

took Fergal to NI BASC fair yesterday, decided to have a go at the racing for a laugh - and a laugh is just what it was - for everyone watching, as the rest all set off furiously up the track after the lure composed of a yellow duster and a plastic bag, which Fergal didn't even look twice at, then meandered up the track at a gentle pace looking for my other half amongst the crowds.

- not a sparkling performance shall we say! In fact quite embarrassing, and infuriating when he manged to chase nothing this morning in the park at a pace that would easily have won hands down...GGggrrrrrrrr!!

SIONA,

the old saying of "never work with kids or animals springs to mind" :D :D :D

Just another bright dog.

Can open a cupboard in my kitchen and find plastic bag's and dusters...they dont interest me either.

If however I was to find a hairy object moving at speed...then that would be another story!

We're going to visit our potential new baby puppy tomorrow - am so excited!!! If we manage to pick one and the lady doesn't mind, might be able to show some pics tomorrow!!!!

aww beejay, he was a lovely lad and it wasa a eral treat to meet him at morton in the marsh on sunday....

makes me wish we had a bigger house as I know what I would be getting when my lil blu gose over the rainbow bridge....

Really dont think any dog takes up much space, especially if you give them a teeny wee bed, ideally a cat's, although dont know if it has any appeal if its not really the cats or a smaller dogs? :b

I think its always amazing just how much space a deerhound dosnt take up, but they do seem to like the best seat of the house if they get half a chance, and once bedded down on it, will have to be tipped off...

Bumped up...some nice photos on here Lind@, may interest you I think :thumbsup:

...if the one of Doxhope - full battle dress appears, not to worry...its a Northumbian thing I think :blink:

WildScotsmanforweb.jpg

Is this the photo you meant bappit???

Last edited by a moderator:
oliverpliers said:
I met a lady with 6 deerhounds last summer and she said their lifespan was an average of 14/15 years. Irish Wolfhounds, on the other hand, are I believe doing well to get to 10. I could be wrong about that though. Hope so! :)
You are right unfortunately.The average age for a wolfhound is only 8 years so many don't even reach that.My wolfhound Bryce was only 7 he had an enlarged heart followed by kidney failure its heart breaking when they go.They are full of life and very loyal,if it had not been for my lurcher Tris keeping me interested I don't know how I would have coped even so it took me 11 months to get another dog (a Borzoi this time not quite so big but still a big dog)and I've still got Tris (He's 9 now) to show him the ropes.I would still recomend a wolfhound to anyone they are an experience not to be missed but prepare yourself for the inevitable. Yours TerryC.

Yup Dox thats the one ;) Will one be wearing that at Moffat?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back