The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Otty The Deerhound

Mike from Hereford

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
How would you like this fella in your living room ??

Otty is shown waiting for bolted rabbits with the use of ferrets.His ower Derek has very strong arms !!!!!

Mike

Otty.jpg

Mike from Hereford said:
How would you like this fella in your living room ??

Yes please! :wub: :wub: Although I may need a bigger front room! (w00t) (w00t)

PS - I was referring to the dog.... :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
looks nice country mike, thats a big dog. whats it like on the bunnies, can it get down for them.

Kevin's always wanted a Deerhound mmmmmmmmm

I have always wanted a WOLFHOUND but now I've fallen in love with IGs (other end of the scale!!! (w00t) ) Still want a Wolfie someday....

:D Here's my first dog lab/lurcher Seb with his Deerhound friend Skye... gosh this is about 17 years ago. Both at Rainbow Bridge now :wub: :wub:

doof.jpg

Sparky,

Otty finds it easier on the bigger Quarry, can still grab a rabbit though, once he gets going its awsome to watch.

Its surprising how quickly he gets going from a standstill, but does miss a few rabbits going into cover.But if they turn on a fence line he picks them up neatly.

Got to say its abit off putting when you go to his kennel and he stands up on his back legs, hes enormous, with a bigger heart to go with it.

A gentle giant.

Mike

WOW hes Fantastic , Ive always fancied myself living in a Castle with acres of grounds ...surrounded by Deerhounds, Wolfhounds and Whippets. :wub: :wub: :wub: oh and maybe 1 or 2 iggies come to think of it. :D

[SIZE=14pt]Well a girl can dream cant she[/SIZE]. ;) ;) :thumbsup:

Deerhounds are wonderful. The ones I have met seem so gentle and kind. I've recently heard their life spans are not that long, though. I always thought they would be better off than the heavier giants, am I wrong?

I met a lady with 6 deerhounds last summer and she said their lifespan was an average of 14/15 years. Irish Wolfhounds, on the other hand, are I believe doing well to get to 10. I could be wrong about that though. Hope so! :)

oliverpliers said:
I met a lady with 6 deerhounds last summer and she said their lifespan was an average of 14/15 years. Irish Wolfhounds, on the other hand, are I believe doing well to get to 10. I could be wrong about that though. Hope so! :)
I'd say any of either breed are lucky to get past 8 ... although I'd be glad to hear anything to the contrary. :(

ILoveKettleChips said:
oliverpliers said:
I'd say any of either breed are lucky to get past 8 ... although I'd be glad to hear anything to the contrary. :(

I think that many deerhounds do live to double figures (just). But far too many die young. Tally's mum died at 7 years from a tumour on her spine. Her sire died recently at 10 years. His dad was 7 when he sired Tally's litter. I haven't heard whether he's still alive. (bereavement notices go into the breed club newsletters)

I'd put 7-8 at the average age too but I could be wrong. Before last year I'd decided that any year after 7 was a bonus. However after last year when it looked like I was going to loose Tally at 3 every year from now on is a bonus. ;)

On the deerhound list you do get to read about them dying at 13-14 years but they seem to be in the US.

Janimal said:
WOW hes Fantastic , Ive always fancied myself living in a Castle with acres of grounds ...surrounded by Deerhounds, Wolfhounds and Whippets. :wub:   :wub:   :wub: oh and maybe 1 or 2 iggies come to think of it. :D
[SIZE=14pt]Well a girl can dream cant she[/SIZE]. ;)   ;)   :thumbsup:

Can I come too? :lol:

He's fantastic - even big for a deerhound, my other half and i are currently looking for a new house to accommodate a deerhound to keep fergal company - not too many breeders around though. Anyone know of any in NI or Scotland?

siona said:
He's fantastic - even big for a deerhound, my other half and i are currently looking for a new house to accommodate a deerhound to keep fergal company - not too many breeders around though.  Anyone know of any in NI or Scotland?
For NI as Mike says there is someone breeding over there as there are always ad's in the CW for them. There is also Doughty's Doxhope kennel up in Newcastle they are bred purposely for working.

Also contact the deerhound club who have a puppy list. Make sure that a puppy has been liver shunt tested btw before you buy it.

What is the breeding of your friends Mike?

Heres some Deerhound breeders numbers I,ve found in old copys of CW,

07815-141420 Shropshire

01530-812005 ?

Hope they can help you out with maybe some more contacts at the very least,

Mike

Thanx very much for the info,

Must source a copy of this Countryman's Weekly - have never heard of it but it's been mentioned hear a few times, sounds like a mine of useful information!!

Mike from Hereford said:
How would you like this fella in your living room ??Otty is shown waiting for bolted rabbits with the use of ferrets.His ower Derek has very strong arms !!!!!

Mike

He sure is a fine look lad...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back