The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pedigree Dogs Exposed

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I just feel for the poor dogs who are suffering for human vanity and greed :rant: And the unsuspecting owners who buy a pet, love it, see it suffer, and they believed that KC reg means a seal of quality!

Who in their right mind would breed from a dog they know has something wrong with it? And where are peoples ethics and common sense?

There are lots of decent breeders and no doubt this programme did sensationalise, wonder if the BBC will continue to screen Crufts? Interesting one to follow.

I am just glad whippets don't have too many problems, and that I have a beautiful loving and loyal little dog :thumbsup:

~JO~ said:
Juley said:
  I also firmly believe that a lot of our immune problems ( human as well) are getting worse by the use of so many chemicals, both in our food chain and being sprayed.  I have personal experience of this having been exposed to too much chlorine after hydrotherapy. I was at one time so sensitive to chemicals just spraying perfume would bring me out in hives.  I had a lot of help and advice and am much better following herbal and other treatment.  Also by following a vile diet!  ( It worked thou).
Along with this an important factor in my mind is the change in diet that most dogs are fed over the last 20/30 years - dry complete foods were not around before then either

I've only seen about 10 minutes of the programme so far so can't yet comment,but i do entirely agree with you both regarding the chemical & diet issues.

I also believe that over vaccination is another contributary factor to a lot of dogs poor health!!!

~JO~ said:
Juley said:
I am really interested in finding out more about the genetics issue. Have my bedtime reading printed out, thanks Jan.  I also firmly believe that a lot of our immune problems ( human as well) are getting worse by the use of so many chemicals, both in our food chain and being sprayed.  I have personal experience of this having been exposed to too much chlorine after hydrotherapy. I was at one time so sensitive to chemicals just spraying perfume would bring me out in hives.  I had a lot of help and advice and am much better following herbal and other treatment.  Also by following a vile diet!  ( It worked thou).
Along with this an important factor in my mind is the change in diet that most dogs are fed over the last 20/30 years - dry complete foods were not around before then either

Complete feeds were about over 30 years ago! Wilsons dog meal! and others, most had a lot of maize in them, the protein was dried meat, usually ground up. People fed it with tripe, meat from the slaughter house, the variety of meat you could get years was amazing now I think back.

The kennels I worked in fed Laughing dog Meal and cooked beef, horse meat, raw tripe, offal and udders, plus cows heads! Ugh. It was the norm then.

Gradually more and more complete foods appeared, until we get to today. So dogs and other animals are better fed, but really, it should not affect size, but we should in theory have super healthy dogs!!!!!!!

bertha said:
~JO~ said:
Juley said:
I am really interested in finding out more about the genetics issue. Have my bedtime reading printed out, thanks Jan.  I also firmly believe that a lot of our immune problems ( human as well) are getting worse by the use of so many chemicals, both in our food chain and being sprayed.  I have personal experience of this having been exposed to too much chlorine after hydrotherapy. I was at one time so sensitive to chemicals just spraying perfume would bring me out in hives.  I had a lot of help and advice and am much better following herbal and other treatment.  Also by following a vile diet!  ( It worked thou).

Gradually more and more complete foods appeared, until we get to today. So dogs and other animals are better fed, but really, it should not affect size, but we should in theory have super healthy dogs!!!!!!!

Ahh but I don't think they are better fed, and the whole thought behind the recent barf trend is that dogs that have been suffering from various problems (skin, stomach and joints) problems virtually disappear on a more natural food in a lot of cases - so who knows about long term problems??

Better fed i think not! :eek:

When the so called premium foods like royal canin & eukanuba were first introduced,along came a load of health problems, with young dogs developing elbow dysplasia which was virtually unheard of...& why,because these foods were way to high in protein & made puppies grow far too quickly!

Then there's all the chemicals & toxins & general rubbish in them that cause all sorts of other health issues,so bring on the Laughing dog Meal and beef, horse meat, raw tripe, offal etc,it's "eau de natural" & healthy :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
alfyn said:

When the so called premium foods like royal canin & eukanuba were first introduced,along came a load of health problems, with young dogs developing elbow dysplasia which was virtually unheard of...& why,because these foods were way to high in protein & made puppies grow far too quickly!

Then there's all the chemicals & toxins & general rubbish in them that cause all sorts of other health issues,so bring on the Laughing dog Meal and beef, horse meat, raw tripe, offal etc,it's "eau de natural" & healthy :thumbsup:

So would Tripe be better than eukanuba? Well with all the other stuff like veg n pasta/rice? Duds is on Eukanuba but I need to add tasty things as he's not fussed but his bowels have never been great? What would you recommend guys? He's 15 weeks.

All advice appreciated :thumbsup:

alfyn said:

NB I did say in theory we should have super healthy dogs!!!!!!!

We are drifting onto a different thread!!!!!! :oops:

Well. to return to the BBC programme which I saw yesterday on You Tube. I have a few observations: a) I cannot reconcile the King Charles Cavalier being the 6th. most popular breed in the U.K to the claim that this breed is "falling apart". If this breed were so plagued with hereditary diseases surely the general public would shun it. b) The statement made by some that the KC is a source of wealth for businessmen(women) should be researched before being aired on this forum. What is the legal status of the KC?. Is it a non profit organization? Does it publish audited financial statements? or is it a subsidiary of Tesco? Whether the KC Building in Clarges Street is worth 20 million or 40 million sterling is meaningless . Perhaps it is held on a long lease and forms part of the trust/ estate of some British aristocrat."Will have to investigate through the internet. c) We have bred whippets since 1986 when we purchased our first bitch from Ann Knight of Dondelayo but have only had litters once every 2 years. The literature at that time, Bo Bengtson 1985 edition of "the Whippet" gives many examples of half-brother/half-sister matings, grandsire to granddaughter. I seem to remember in "The Whippet" by J P Moran- Healey a case of Ch/Am Hillsdown Replique being mated to his dam before leaving for tha U.S.A.d) Yes, it would appear that line- breeding for numerous generations can produce hereditary problems and in whippets there are many cases of dogs with one or no testicles and I understand heart problems in many U.S. lines. Surely the KC should get its act together and lay down rules controlling excessive in-breeding and prohibiting breeding from stock with known hereditary diseases. I believe the Germans have already taken action in this direction. Regards, Netheredge

I've only just got round to watching the programme. I was, I suppose, generally aware of a lot of the problems in the breeds that were highlighted but seeing it brought together in this way was truly shocking. I'm afraid the weak response and complacency of the KC representatives did them no good at all in my eyes.

Of course not all breeders are bad and not all breeds are beset by the sort of problems shown in the programme, but the fact that dogs with serious inherited illnesses are winning shows AND being used extensively at stud is a scandal and I personally applaud the BBC for bringing this to light.

Did nobody else want to slap the Ridgeback breeder who talked smugly about having to find an 'old fashioned' vet who was willing to kill off the one in ten healthy puppies born without a ridge? Even more ironic as it has been known for years that the ridge is caused by a mild form of spina bifida and is a deformity itself, not some sort of natural characteristic of the breed.

The programme didn't even touch on other issues, such as the high incidence of deafness in dalmatians which is caused entirely by breeding dogs for the sort of well defined markings required by the breed standard. The problem is 'solved' by culling the deaf puppies, not by any attempt to revise the breed standard to allow larger patches of colour, which would reduce or even eliminate this form of deafness in the breed.

I have for years felt very sad that some breeds have changed so far from their working origins that they would be incapable of doing the job they were bred for. Bassets were mentioned on the programme, and have changed even in my lifetime from a fit looking hound-type dog to today's dog with stomach practically dragging on the ground and loose folds of skin everywhere. I can't honestly see how this is 'improving the breed' in any way. It's telling that many breeds such as labs and spaniels have entirely separate show and working lines, which says something about how far the characteristics that win in the show ring differ from the fitness for purpose of these breeds.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back